St johns tides need help

We are cruising on the Glory and will be in St. John's on July 23rd. We are there from 8 am to 5 pm. I was looking at the tide chart and if I am reading it properly it shows low tide at 6:30 am and then again at 6:59 pm which would make it impossible to walk the ocean floor. Any one that can confirm this it would be appreciated. Also is it still worth the drive there if you can not do it?

2013-07-23

(Tuesday) Time Height ADT (m) (ft) 00:15 8.7 28.5 06:37 0.1 0.3 12:45 8.3 27.2 18:59 0.4 1.3

I asked the same question on a previous thread about things to do in Saint Johns - below is my question & the answer I received. Our low tide is 8:30am so the response is in reference to the 8:30 time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4spring viewpost.gif

I appreciate the calculations folks have been making in order to determine whether or not we'd have time to walk to the sea caves. I completely missed the hour difference between ship's time & Saint John's time.

So if we're not able to walk out to the sea caves, is it worth renting a car to go out to St. Martens vs something in town? I know that at St. Martens we could still watch the tide come in & see the beautiful scenery. I also note that the Fundy trail has hiking in June & some scenic pull offs if by car. I'll have two teenagers with me & they might get antsy in the car for too long. Any thoughts?

You should be able to walk in the caves. The tide levels and timings are not the same in Saint John and St. Martins. As long as you get there by 11am you should have 1.5hrs or so before the tide starts coming in to the caves level where you will have to start leaving. You could then go to the trails and spend 2 hrs or so there - Fuller falls, Flower pot rock, Video at the info building, and a swing at the suspension footbridge would surely entertain everyone including the teens. By the time you drive back to St. Martin Caves the water levels would have changed and you will have the before and after pics taken again before heading back to Saint John. Also make sure you stop by the Reversing Falls in Saint John for a brief 5 min before you go to the caves. You would have done yourself a great favor by doing that especially with the tide timing for June 11 and once you return to the city you can swing by for a second visit to see it flow the opposite direction.

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering the time difference from he ships time and ADT. I would love to walk and see it if only for 15 minutes. Hopefully I can get some other responses. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering the time difference from he ships time and ADT. I would love to walk and see it if only for 15 minutes. Hopefully I can get some other responses. Enjoy your cruise!

Be careful when you're googling for excursions - the Glory will be in Saint John. St. John's is a city in a different province that cruise ships also stop at and I've heard of people confusing the two when booking excursions privately.

It will take you 45 minutes to drive to St. Martins if you rent a car (plus time to rent, and maybe time to get lost? haha), and the Glory is showing as arriving here at 9:00 AM. Since high tide is at 1:06 PM, I'd recommend arriving for the afternoon. That way there isn't any chance of getting trapped in the caves as the tide rises. However, that might be cutting it close for when you leave...

Archived