Riedel Comparative Wine Seminars

Karen@Steve

DH and I love wine tasting and would be interested in attending one of these seminars. The Celebrity site allows you to book these in advance at $82/pp. I have a few questions.

Is there any advantage to booking before boarding other than paying up front and thereby reducing sticker shock at the end of the cruise?

Do they have these seminars on every single cruise (doing Reflection in Nov) or is there a chance that it will not occur and I'll be stuck trying to get a refund post cruise?

Do they ever sell out the seminars and there is chance that once on board it will be full?

Any help is appreciated. On our Summit cruise last summer I don't remember seeing this seminar in the dailies.

My husband and I attended one on the Eclipse two years ago. It really is a hard sell job for Reidel glassware. The interesting thing about it is that the class is about how different and better wine smells and tastes in certain glasses (which is true), however, during the tastings the glasses are not paired to the wines and we drank all of the wines from the same size glass. My husband brought this up to the sommelier and the sommelier said that they didn't have enough of the correct size glassware to go around.

All in all, it was okay, but it is not a typical wine tasting because far too much time is spent on discussing the glassware.

We attended the workshop on the Eclipse a couple of years ago. I was skeptical and then surprised, and enjoyed the class. They are nice glasses, fragile yes, special dinner glasses only.

We live in Australia and only discovered when we got home and went to order online that the shipping cost from the USA to Australia was over $220. They only shipped then to the Northern Hemisphere, more or less. We got a refund eventually for what we paid on board and bought some at Costco. You can take a set with you from the class and that's what we will do if we do this class again.

I signed up for a Reidel class on my Baltic cruise a couple of years ago, but it was cancelled because, they said, they didn't have the glasses on board.

Looking at the class description on the Celebrity website now, it doesn't say that you get the glasses (I'm pretty sure it said so when I signed up in 2012).

Has anybody taken the class recently? Are they still giving the glasses?

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the class. I was what one might call a wine snob but was only into big bold cabs. I found in the class that I also really like chardonnay's. All it took was the correct glass. Now if only they would give you Reidel sommelier glasses. So yes it is well worth the price if for nothing else than the experience.

Archived