Jacksonville Hotel Help

tarheel04

I can't recommend a hotel as we've only cruised out of Jacksonville one time, but I can recommend that you do not stay at the Hyatt Place by the airport. Unless the management team has changed and things have gotten better then there's no way I would stay there again. We had to move to 3 different rooms before we got one that was clean enough to stay in, but the tile shower in the bathroom still had mold all around it. I booked through an online site that is non-refundable so we couldn't just get a refund and head to the Springhill Suites that could be seen from the hotel. The first room had nasty things and dirt on the floor and furniture and the second room had fresh make-up on the bed linens and duvet. I was able to wipe some off on my finger and had to go to the front desk to show the manager before they would give us a new room. The manager I worked with could have cared less and asked me not to report it to corporate since it wasn't a significant matter in her eyes. I was appalled.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is a big change from when I stayed there two years ago! It was very clean, comfortable and the staff was so friendly! Was thinking about booking a room there for our upcoming cruise in August, now I am not so sure! Sad that it has gone downhill!

If you are driving and really want a fun beach night come to the beaches town center.

2 hotels ocean one is upscale or seahorse that's a throw back to old,times. They do have the lemon bar that resembles the lido pool on,the ship.

Both ocean front and surrounded by 20 great restaurants for every budget.

Always live music and drink specials. Very safe area!!! I live there.

In the am ship is almost a direct shot and 20 minute drive.

Just sounds a lot better then sitting in a sketchy place by the airport ?

If you stay at the airport, it is close to the port and a safe area. There is a newer mall close with a Walmart..Movie Theater..lots of restaurants...

AND if you have a car..you are very close to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Or so says Conde Naste.

Little Talbot Island State Park on Hecksler Drive.....costs maybe $10 for a carload. Lifeguards are on duty on week ends. RIP TIDES CAN BE BAD. But...the waters are clean. No Development other than clean, modern restrooms..picnic tables....then a walk over the boardwalk to the beach. It is the way it was when Ponce de Leon first saw Florida. You can walk on the sand..swim..not too far out if you are not familiar with the tides....

AND the Jacksonville ZOO is also on that road. It is a nice zoo.clean. a train. a great large animal area. Bird shows. I think you would be impressed if you went.

IF you have a car..and take the Dame's Point Bridge into Southside...get on Beach Blvd. and it takes you to the BEACH. Jax beach..Neptune Beach..Atlantic Beach. Laid back beach community. More commericalization than Little Talbot State park.....Kathyn Hanna State ParK is by MayPort where you can see some big ships and planes. There is also a Ferry that will take you from Hecksler Driver to Mayport. Ask the locals.

+1 Good advice

If you are driving and really want a fun beach night come to the beaches town center.

2 hotels ocean one is upscale or seahorse that's a throw back to old,times. They do have the lemon bar that resembles the lido pool on,the ship.

Both ocean front and surrounded by 20 great restaurants for every budget.

Always live music and drink specials. Very safe area!!! I live there.

In the am ship is almost a direct shot and 20 minute drive.

Just sounds a lot better then sitting in a sketchy place by the airport ?

Also a +1 advice. There is a good restaurant, Ragtimes, connected with a microbrewery across the street from Ocean One in Atlantic Beach. The beachs and surrounding area is very nice without all the tacky t-shirt and made in Taiwan gift stores.

Use Google Earth to view area, hotels, restaurants, etc in the Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach/Jacksonville Beach area. They are all connected as if one beach. There is also Mayport Naval Station on the north end of Atlantic Beach if you are military.

Cheers!

We stay at Embassy suites..There about $85 a night for a 2 room suite and includes happy hour nightly and free hot breakfast buffet with fresh made omelets. Really nice place and a Steak house inside if you wish to eat there or many local places with in 1/2 mile. 15-20 minutes to post.

DITTO to this. Very nice and clean rooms. It was nice to have the living area and bedroom area so that we could spread out a little. The drive to the port was only about 15 minutes.

The breakfast was very good. It was a nice place to start our vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

our family of 7 is flying into jacksonville 2 days before cruise on 10/5 and we like to know reasonably priced hotels that offer local shuttle /shuttle to the port / airport shuttle .. we may * have to rent a car from the airport can U return the car at the port ? or do u have to return the car back to the airport ? first time renting a car and 2nd time cruising ..

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Blount Island a couple summers ago and it was very good. Service, Cleanliness, close to port, shuttle service was great and so was breakfast. There were 8 in our group, so multiple rooms and all was good. Enjoy,:cool:

Archived