Tours in Grand Caymen

vkg090902

This is our first cruise to Grand Caymen and want to do the turtle farm, hell, rum shop and some shopping. I see some tours available. How much does does it take to do it all keeping in mind we have a 10 year old that loves turtles and my husband who is a firefighter that has to visit hell.

Also, do we need cash to buy tours and shopping or do they take credit cards.

Thanks!

Carnival has a tour that goes to Hell and the turtle farm.

If you pre-purchase on their website, you pay with a cc.

If you purchase when on the ship, they charge your S&S.

You can also find a tour when you get off the ship. There will be plenty of vendors around the port selling tours. They want cashola.

There will be a place to get rum near the port. Big Black Dick's come to mind. Be careful if you google it.

We used Captain Marvin's. They have a web site...Google it. You can book a tour with them online or just go to their place...it's very close to the tender drop-off. We did Hell/Turtle farm with them and enjoyed it.

This is our first cruise to Grand Caymen and want to do the turtle farm, hell, rum shop and some shopping. I see some tours available. How much does does it take to do it all keeping in mind we have a 10 year old that loves turtles and my husband who is a firefighter that has to visit hell.

Thanks!

Buying alcohol or cigerettes in Grand Cayman== the vendor will keep it and ship it to the ship. The ship keeps it til the last night.

I would use a private vendor for your tour. we did the stingrays, island tour using Captain Marvins or Nativewayssports.

Figure abuot 60 bucks private tours per person

As much as your 10 year old loves turtles-- be aware that this farm most turtles are used for consumption- this could be very upsetting for a 10 year old.

If wanting to do the turtles-- take the bus.

there is shopping right across from the ship's pier.

Grand Cayman is an expensive port.

We did Captain Marvin's last week. We did the Sting Ray City and Snorkel from 8:30-11 and then the turtle farm and Hell from 11:00-1:30. It was our favorite day of the cruise!

If you pay cash at the pier, it is $3 cheaper but they do take credit cards.

Hell was basically a tourist store with black rock formations behind it. The Sting Rays/Snorkel and Turtle farm was AWESOME!!!!

Thanks!

Be sure to check out the Grand Cayman page of the Ports of Call CC boards -- toward the bottom of the directory page. Tons of information about all the ports!

Hell is really disappointing. We did Chip and his dad's charter, stingraycity . com two years ago and we are doing it again in July. I can't stress enough how it seemed like we were out with friends for the morning on a buddies boat. relaxed, clean, fun, unpretentious and NOT crowded.

His wife even picked up some golf balls from a course for me while we were on the boat.

Great group. They do charge a little for dinks on board the catamaran. FUN!

If the turtle farm is your primary interest, consider a taxi and buy the tickets yourself (http://www.turtle.ky/). The rum cake shop is about a minute walk away from the turtle farm.

If your son really wants the turtles I would skip hell (no big deal really) and spend more time with the turtles. Plus there is a dolphin park across the street from the turtle farm where you can watch people swim with them for free (or even do it yourself).

Most tours only give you a short time at the turtle farm, which may be disappointing as it can get quite busy. If you buy the tickets yourselves you have additional options and you can spend a lot longer there.

Thanks!

If you want to save a lot of money you can catch the local bus for a few bucks per person to the turtle farm & to the town of Hell (both are on the same route). It is quite safe and fun as you join the locals on the mini-bus (like a large van).

Archived