Unusual question - ALL input appreciated

Seadoc

It must be for the full fare world cruisers that HAL provides FREE alcohol in the cabins. Because I know that HAL doesn't provide anything like that free in the suites on other cruises. Not even cruises like 21 - 22 repostioning cruises - Orinoco River - Pan American.

This from the WC brochure.

Full Cruise.

In-stateroom liquor set-up (4 bottles)

Daily glass of house wine with dinner.

Not all drinks but a start :rolleyes:

We have traveled with several couples that had done 'segments' so they could pick the area they wanted to do. They had 'gone 'round the world', but on 2 different segments at a time. Perhaps that would be an option. Start with an inside, and if you hated it....

dining: As one who has sailed with set dining and also free style, I think the long time on board would definitely call for a ship that had the free style. More than 2 weeks with the same people could be very tiring, and I love to meet a variety. (hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings - they probably got tired of me, too)

Again, you asked for opinions...

We took a world cruise on the old Rotterdam in an inside cabin. We booked through Cruises, cruises, cruises and took a cabin we could live with. Our TA who knows folks at HA called us and said for 2-3 thousand more we could have a large inside on the deck with larger rooms. We sprang for it. A friend made 2 pictures of port holes, I bought posters and brought masking tape, brought a world map, put all on walls and we had a fine time. That said, when HA had a sale of the "Circle Pacific" 64 day cruise that had a "reasonable" price for a minisuite with veranda, we leaped at the chance and were glad! So I guess what I'm saying, Itinerary first, then spend what you can afford on size of cabin. Go for it. I'll never forget going around the world!! Wow!! But the veranda on the "circle pacific" cruise was awesome! As we left Nuvu Hiva in the S.Pacific, our last stop, I stood on the veranda and listened to Sarah Brightman singing " Time to say Good bye". Wow!! My memories of our trips will encase our old age in silver linings!! We can no longer take these cruises and I have no regrets. I can still eat chocolate!! And bacon.

Does "all-inclusive" mean that shore excursions are included? If so, that could add up to a lot of money on a 105 day cruise.

Most of the world cruises include a select group of shore excursions that are included for guests doing the total cruise, as opposed to just a few segments. This thread got me thinking about world cruises ... not that I could afford to take one ... and I do see that several of the lines are offering nice deals to passengers that book the entire journey. Those deals include stuff like prepaid tips, luggage shipping, wine package, etc. Sounds to me that you don't really need an all-inclusive to get a lot of things included on them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've found we agree with:

1. Itinerary is most important. As I've said previously, that alone eliminated HAL for its 2006 WC.

2. Among the remaining lines, the question ultimately becomes one of "affordability" for the remaining variables (after itinerary): room size, with/without "balcony" and degree of all-inclusiveness.

3. Cunard (cost competitive with HAL but offering a "real" look at the entire world itinerary-wise, offers entry level insides of 80-120 SF...inadequate even for us). Further, Cunard's WC is on a behemoth ship, which is decidedly not our preference. Ergo Cunard now eliminated.

4. The three remaining lines have largeish cabins (some "all suites" and one with "balcony" to boot). Entry level for all three is about $50K...which yields a (somewhat staggering) per diem of $475 pp. I'm wondering if I'm naive to "expect" a helluva lot in terms of food, service, accommodations and shipboard "ambience" for a thousand dollars a day for a couple. That the lines toss in a few shore excursions (not of great interest to us), augmented by several more provided by Virtuoso, and contribute another thousand or so as shipboard credit, all augmented by whatever AMEX provides through the platinum card seems to only slightly ameliorate the initial "sticker shock". Given that it'll likely truly be a once-in-a-lifetimer experience and based on our original motivation (do it now while it can still be done) it's now a choice among Radisson, Crystal and Silversea and I'll slow the process down a lot and invoke the brilliant methodology of Cactuslady.

Thanks again to all for your continuing input.

Can you wait one more year and see what HA comes up with? I do understand how health can become more precarious in 12 months but to have the trip for a more reasonable price seems worth the wait.

When you are putting the "pencil" to your costs please do not forget to factor in the high costs of laundry and internet aborard cruise ships.

Just returned from a 15 day HAL cruise and for laundry and ironing (no dry cleaning) it ran us around $150! Now factor that out for 150 days!!!!

Therefore, if at all possiblle choose a vessel that has coin operated washing and dryer machines on it for washing your casual clothes in at least saving you some money.

Internet for 100 minutes was around $55. And their internet is very slow so minutes are used rapidly. Factor that in as well.

However, regardless of what your cost tolerance is if the itinerary is not one that you really like than you are just wasting and throwing away your time and valuable money.

Wish I had this kind of a problem!

Comeaux says Quote: Just returned from a 15 day HAL cruise and for laundry and ironing (no dry cleaning) it ran us around $150! Now factor that out for 150 days!!!!Unquote

Wow...$!50 for 15 days is a huge amount..:(

We were on the "Westerdam for a 17 day transatlantic cruise in Nov. 2004 & it only cost us $30.00 for laundry..They gave us a laundry bag for $15.00 & we stuffed it full by rolling everything..We did this twice..Even my nightgowns came back beautifully pressed..Has HAL changed their policy of the $15.00 per bag? :confused:

Maybe you don't pack as much was we normally do for a two week cruise...We usually take two formal shirts for my DH & at least a dozen other shirts for him, along with several pairs of dockers & shorts, that are stain resistant & wrinkle free ..Also a dozen tops for me with slacks & shorts..Plus our formal/informal clothes..

Never had to send any of our other things out to be pressed...We packed all of our clothes in plastic, hung them out & steamed them with our steamer or used a spray wrinkle remover when necessary..

Of course we came home with laundry, but that is no problemn for us..

Happy cruising everyone..:)

My quandry: I can't make a decision.

Seadoc, my heart goes out to you :p ! But seriously folks, if money is not an issue for you I would just the most stars, after all this s a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I would get the biggest cabin (50+ days is a long time to spend in an inside) the best itinerary, the best service. HAL, and I love HAL, simply is not on par with the other four lines you mentioned. Maybe Cunard is close. But those last three are simply a different product altogether. Go far it, you deserve it, you have earned it. And don't forget to keep us updated!

When you are putting the "pencil" to your costs please do not forget to factor in the high costs of laundry and internet aborard cruise ships.

!

On HAL I think they have the laundry package and per Grumpy it was like 6 dollars per person per week.

A couple pluses for Voyager, all floors had self service laundries and they are free. If the Voyager is like the Mariner, they have stacked Magtag Neptune washers and dryers. iloveyou.gif ( just do not hit, pre-wash/extra rinse, extra spin or you can expect a load to take 1 hr 20 minutes. :rolleyes: PS I hate San Juan and stayed on the ship doing amoung other things laundry. Next stop was Fort Lauderdale... I did a first for me, almost all my clothes were clean when I got off the ship. :eek:

Archived