Jeans and jacket in MDR on formal night

I know you are all having a perfectly lovely battle over the dress code here- but I have to post just to say I love the visual of a hail of savory bites flying through the MDR, bewildered waiters standing slack jawed with pens in hand, assistant waiters desperately trying to pluck them from the air with their tongs before they hit their target, the yellow jackets on their cell phones to security- "defcon 1 in the MDR". Now thats entertainment. RCL style !

I know you are all having a perfectly lovely battle over the dress code here- but I have to post just to say I love the visual of a hail of savory bites flying through the MDR, bewildered waiters standing slack jawed with pens in hand, assistant waiters desperately trying to pluck them from the air with their tongs before they hit their target, the yellow jackets on their cell phones to security- "defcon 1 in the MDR". Now thats entertainment. RCL style !

Which beats heck out of most of what passes for "entertainment" on RCI;)

We very shortly have a cruise on IOS and whilst packing, tried on my tux trousers.....wish I had`nt, they have shrunk considerably :mad:

I don`t want to go and buy another pair as I am sure they will expand again in a few months :rolleyes:

The neck of my dress shirt has also shrunk for some reason, but strangely enough my tux jacket has remained the same size and fits me fine (it was possibly too big to start with :rolleyes:)

Shrunk??? Now you know better than that!:D;)

You could probably wear a bathing suit with your tux and be ok. Dress codes don't seem to be enforced these days.

That is sad - as formal dining should be just that. Sadly it is happening on the lesser star cruises too. Our last cruise with P&O was in December 2011 and people were turning up to formal dining in very casual attire. Made you wonder if it was worth adhering to the guidelines for the dress code asked for.

I do wish to eat in the MDR on formal night as I like the menu on these evenings in particular, but do not want to be refused entry.

You won't be denied entry.

If I wear black dress shoes, black jeans, the jacket, and an open neck shirt, would this be ok.

I have had a trial run in the mirror and it does`nt look bad at all (the jacket is a tux but does`nt look like your standard tux).

Bit of an odd combo (dunno what your tux jacket looks like...a standard one would look silly), but it sounds fine. Jeans usually pair well with sports coats and blazers.

Jackets can be worn with or without a tie. In fact, if your collar buttons down, it's meant to be worn sans tie.

And, would this also do for CHOPS?:confused:

I don't see why not.

The jacket makes more of a statement than slacks or tie, even.

Anyway, I hope you had a fun time. Report back!

The second night, my other half and I wanted to try the Reflections Restaurant. Having completely missed that it was a formal night, she was wearing blue jeans and a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, me also wearing blue jeans and a Transformers T-shirt. The rest of our table had dresses and suits, but noone minded one bit.

Made for a funny conversation topic, but none of us felt underdressed. Though, that could also have been because of the mindset of the other people around our table.

For the two other nights, I just wore black jeans, a white shirt and a black tie. Never felt the need for a complete suit or tuxedo.

On our last cruise with a different cruise line, we didn't realize it was formal night because it was a port day and we thought formal night would be on a sail day. So we went to dinner in our regular clothes and noticed that most everyone was dressed up. I asked the waiter if it was formal night and he said "Yes, it is". I said "Uh-oh". We just sat down and ate. It didn't matter at all and they are one of the stricter ships concerning formal night dress. I took my formal wear so I wore it the next night. :)

Ever notice how many men are wearing tuxes in their obituary pictures? Don't know what that means but what's wrong with dressing up on vacation? It doesn't have to mean only funerals and weddings. It's o.k. to conform sometimes and most importantly, it gives the women a chance to wear their finery.

Ever notice how many men are wearing tuxes in their obituary pictures? Don't know what that means but what's wrong with dressing up on vacation? It doesn't have to mean only funerals and weddings. It's o.k. to conform sometimes and most importantly, it gives the women a chance to wear their finery.

Maybe they put on a suit and died seconds after the photo was taken. If they dressed comfortably they might have survived formal night.

So much for "wearing a suit won't kill you.":eek:

In our experience, Caribbean cruises (and shorter cruises) are more casual, even on formal nights, than European and longer cruises.

My DH usually wears a pair of dress pants, which could be pressed Dockers/khakis, a long-sleeved dress shirt, tie and dark blue sports coat. It looks "dressy" but isn't as formal as a suit or tux. I've worn pants and an elegant sweater set.

I get that it's your vacation, etc. However, there is a dress code and IMHO jeans aren't appropriate in the MDR on formal night. The ship won't refuse to seat you but you might be uncomfortable when most passengers are wearing more formal attire. Jeans would be fine in Windjammer and, on occasion, we've eaten there on formal nights -- or dined in our cabin -- b/c we didn't choose to dress for dinner.

You definitely don't need your tux. One rule of thumb: wear to formal night what you'd wear to a wedding or funeral and you'll be fine.

Jeans, jeans, jeans!!

1. Who wants to pack or WEAR jeans on a cruise vacation?

2. Try something different--it's refreshing!

3. Do you need to bring your blankie, too?

Sorry to be harsh, but there ARE other more suitable things to wear. Take it from an old hippie who lived in jeans for 30+ years until I noticed something: blue jeans make you look heavier. Blue jeans ARE heavier. OP, I know you mentioned black jeans--there are other colors besides blue. Blue is boring. I still wouldn't wear jeans.

Teddie

It's YOUR vacation. Wear what you want to wear. The dress code is SUGGESTED, not MANDATORY. What you wear should have zero effect on anyone else enjoying their dinner.

This is what is said on every post about what to wear. It really is pretty simple.

Wear what you want to.

There is a dress code for fomal night -- take a look at the RCi website. You should not just "wear what you want to." When you booked the cruise, you booked it with the formal night - so technically, you need to either conform or eat at an alternate dining option.

I am not saying formal night is a good idea or bad idea, but it is there.

On the other hand, since the dress code is not enforced, you can wear whatever you want and "get a way with it."

The reason it is not enforced is because people do not complain about it (those of us formalists that do dress appropriately really do not spend much time worrying about the nonformalists) - but maybe we should.

If you want RCI to enforce the rules, passengers that are offended need to do something about it:

1) Complain to the head waiter, waiter, and assistant waiter about the poor dressing habbits of their fellow passengers

2) Go to the customer service desk and complain

3) On your evaluation survey at the end of the cruise write down your complaint

4) When you return from the cruise write to RCI and complain about it

5) Write a registered letter to the CEO of RCI about the lack of enforcement

6) Write a letter to your Senator and Congressional Representative

If you do not say anything, RCI will think that everything is okay with their dress code and the situation will only get worse.

This is what is said on every post about what to wear. It really is pretty simple.

Wear what you want to.

True, that mindless and unhelpful advice is said on every thread about what to wear.

There is a dress code for fomal night -- take a look at the RCi website. You should not just "wear what you want to." When you booked the cruise, you booked it with the formal night - so technically, you need to either conform or eat at an alternate dining option.

I am not saying formal night is a good idea or bad idea, but it is there.

On the other hand, since the dress code is not enforced, you can wear whatever you want and "get a way with it."

The reason it is not enforced is because people do not complain about it (those of us formalists that do dress appropriately really do not spend much time worrying about the nonformalists) - but maybe we should.

If you want RCI to enforce the rules, passengers that are offended need to do something about it:

1) Complain to the head waiter, waiter, and assistant waiter about the poor dressing habbits of their fellow passengers

2) Go to the customer service desk and complain

3) On your evaluation survey at the end of the cruise write down your complaint

4) When you return from the cruise write to RCI and complain about it

5) Write a registered letter to the CEO of RCI about the lack of enforcement

6) Write a letter to your Senator and Congressional Representative

If you do not say anything, RCI will think that everything is okay with their dress code and the situation will only get worse.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the laugh.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

I tried to make the important bits stand out. I hope you can see them.

Try losing some weight. Alternatively go to the Windjammer that night. I am not a cruise snob but would annoyed if I and my partner were sharing our table with you when she and I had gone to the trouble of dressing up when you did not.

Black pants would be fine but not jeans.

Makes a change at my age to wear a suit when it is not a funeral !!

Selswick

So we just returned from the 6/29 sailing on Oasis. Based on that experience, you could show up to dinner on formal night in a speedo and no one would give two shakes.

IMO the whole dressing for dinner needs to be taken out back and shot. We saw one Tux and the majority of diners didn't have ties on.

Nobody cares what you wear. You likely paid a boatload of money... wear what you want and enjoy your cruise!

Maybe they put on a suit and died seconds after the photo was taken. If they dressed comfortably they might have survived formal night.

So much for "wearing a suit won't kill you.":eek:

*LOL* Love it :)

Jeans, jeans, jeans!!

1. Who wants to pack or WEAR jeans on a cruise vacation?

2. Try something different--it's refreshing!

3. Do you need to bring your blankie, too?

Sorry to be harsh, but there ARE other more suitable things to wear. Take it from an old hippie who lived in jeans for 30+ years until I noticed something: blue jeans make you look heavier. Blue jeans ARE heavier. OP, I know you mentioned black jeans--there are other colors besides blue. Blue is boring. I still wouldn't wear jeans.

Teddie

I'm guessing that hundreds...maybe even THOUSANDS of people pack and wear jeans on a cruise vacation, myself included.

Dress shoes, nice jeans witha tux probably OK, but the looks you would get would probably be from the open neck shirt, I would think. They MAY ask you to put on a tie, but dress code for MDR are recommendations, only. Don't know about Chops

Regarding the open neck shirt -- I disagree. When my husband, who had to wear a shirt and tie every day during his working years, retired he swore he would never wear a tie again. We have been on many RCI cruises and he has kept his promise. He wears dress slacks with a dress shirt and coat or jacket and has never had a problem. So I say go for it!!!!!

On the Mariner last week, people DID wear shorts in the MDR, though not on formal night.....:eek:

Why have rules if no one enforces them?

Because when crew tried to enforce them they would get verbally abused by pax.

Evidently RCI prefers to look the other way rather than have their crew subjected to abusive treatment from pax.

The MDR has become no more than a highly decorated diner and more than a few pax dress accordingly these days.

Because when crew tried to enforce them they would get verbally abused by pax.

Evidently RCI prefers to look the other way rather than have their crew subjected to abusive treatment from pax.

The MDR has become no more than a highly decorated diner and more than a few pax dress accordingly these days.

I have seen passengers berate crew, simply for being asked to follow the rules. I think the crew avoid such situations like the plague, as they don't want to be placed in a negative light themselves. It's a precarious position for them.

Teddie

I have seen passengers berate crew, simply for being asked to follow the rules. I think the crew avoid such situations like the plague, as they don't want to be placed in a negative light themselves. It's a precarious position for them.

Teddie

We've seen it as well and in fact I came to the defense of a crew member who was being verbally abused by a pax, early one morning. I was happy to do so as the pax was way out of line.

Unfortunately these days boorish behavior seems to be the norm with many people.:( Just another consequence of our "entitlement" society.

Archived