Kid friendly food?

seahawk8292

i had a recent post concerning my 20 year old daughter... all she likes is chicken tenders and fries. Another cruiser shared this web site with me.

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprin...om/wmenusA.html

you can also go to search forum and type in chicken tenders and fries and read the posts from other cruisers about this.

happy cruising!

:D

i had a recent post concerning my 20 year old daughter... all she likes is chicken tenders and fries. Another cruiser shared this web site with me.

20 Years old, oh no! I was hoping my 9 year old so would grow out of chicken nuggets only....maybe not!

We were recently on the Regal with a 2.95 year old who eats everything and a very pickey 10 year old. The kids menu had spaghetti and meatballs, chicken fingers, hamburgers, fish sticks and a few other things. One night we asked the head waiter to make her mac and cheese for the next night and it was done without a problem. The pickey one ate steaks with fries almost every meal and managed to survive! They are really good about getting whatever you ask for.One night I noticed a "love boat volcano" on the kids menu for dessert and I ordered it for myself-turned out to be a really good small sized banana split! Yummy.

If you looked up "picky" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of my girl. Her basic diet: waffles, mac and cheese (if I make it -- she doesn't trust anyone else's), cinnabons (I'm not sure what they're called but they're made by Eggo and have icing inside), bologne lunchables, pizza, hot dogs, Chicken McNuggets (but only McDs, not Burger King). She won't eat in front of other people except us. And the pizza needs to have flat tomato sauce (no chunks) with no discernable green "things". She just went to a birthday party today and wouldn't eat the pizza they had because of the chunks.

Usually on the cruise ship, she'll eat bread, hot dogs, sometimes pizza. Because we're driving to the port next cruise, I may pack some of her lunchables and stick them in the frig onboard.

I'm 38, and refuse to eat stuff with "chunks" in it and especially anything with green things... BLEH. My mom used to ask me, many years ago when I still lived at home, if I would like a magnifying glass and some tweezers with my dinner. :D

So no, sometimes they don't grow out of it... LOL

I grew up in the era where you ate what was on your plate and learned not to complain. Now I have a taste for lobster, filet, crab, and other expensive treats. Keep 'em on nuggets, it's cheaper and college food won't be such a shock.

Sad commentary on the parenting skills of some. Our kids HAD to eat what was served for dinner at least once, only then could they claim to not like it.

Now, like Spongerob, they eat everything. But lean to the top of the line.

Dan

Sad commentary on the parenting skills of some. Our kids HAD to eat what was served for dinner at least once, only then could they claim to not like it.

Dan

ROFL!!!

Wow... not sure at all how being picky reflects on parenting skills... Actually, I would think it would take a far worse parent to force their children to eat something they didn't want. That sticks with them, believe me. Yay, so you force them to eat brussel sprouts, and they grow up eating fancy foods but hating you. Wheee....

crazy4,

Does that mean you don't make them go to school? Do homework? Learn manners and respect?

Just let them do whatever they want no matter what?

Learning about food and eating properly must come from the parents, not MickyD.

(Is allowing ones children to get hooked on fast food grease-slime a form of child abuse???)

Kids are a blank slate, its the parents [very full time job] to write on that slate. The kids will interpet the writings and the reason behind them.

Dan

I have to admit I won't eat chunky bits of tomato' date=' either. I'll eat smooth tomato sauce, but not tomatos in a salad.[/quote']I'm with you! People think I'm weird but if the only sandwich available is one with tomatoes, I won't eat it, even if someone takes them out.

Dan

When did this become a thread about parenting issues? I have never tasted liver and neither have my children but we are all productive members of society. My grandkids never had liver either and they do well in school and are beautiful kids. Making issues of what one consumes at meals only makes for arguing and bad memories.

crazy4,

Does that mean you don't make them go to school? Do homework? Learn manners and respect?

Just let them do whatever they want no matter what?

Learning about food and eating properly must come from the parents, not MickyD.

(Is allowing ones children to get hooked on fast food grease-slime a form of child abuse???)

Kids are a blank slate, its the parents [very full time job] to write on that slate. The kids will interpet the writings and the reason behind them.

Dan

Wow you are so off base. My father made me sit at the table when I was 6 and eat everything on my plate including tomato's which I did not like. Everyone had left the table but I had to eat what was on my plate. Of course I threw up right after I ate the dreaded tomato and my father whacked my butt. To this day, I won't eat tomato's (I'm49) and always remembered this awful incident. I'm pretty lenient with my own children and they are not suffering at all. They are healthy, are active and have beautiful figures. They are on the Nat'l Honor Society, have won awards, do charity work, have numerous other activities and are all around good kids. AND I don't force them to eat what they don't like. As one grows up, one's tastes change and mature.

On our cruiselast week, our son ate from the childrens menu regularly: chicken fingers, burgers, pizza, spaghetti and fruit. Oh, he did have king crab legs one night and loved them! He thought he'd try them and now he has some expensive tastes!

Dan

please don't feel you can make an opinion on my parenting skills because my child is a finicky eater. This trend started the day I tried to give her chunky baby food.... you think forcing an infant to eat is good parenting skills? My father forced me to eat food. 30some years later this is not forgotten. My kids turned out pretty darn good despite one being a particular eater.

"Cruisin' Chick,

Do you know, or have you wondered why?"

Dan,

Not sure what you mean by your question? One of my degrees is in Psychology but I have never thought to psychoanalyze my diet. I was picky early on (now 51 and pretty healthy). Allergic to milk as a toddler and realized years later that I am still lactose-intolerant. I was probably the skinniest in my high school class but at least my parents knew I was anorexic. Not obsessed with food, just not interested in gouging myself. My sister, on the other hand, was a big eater.

We were on the CB in May along with our 13 and 8 year old girls. They're both good eaters (the older one even ate the snails :eek: ). We ate in the formal DR most times, and never had problems finishing food. A few extra laps around the deck and we'd be as good as new. Only once we had to get the obligatory cheeseburger and fries for the younger one as the formal food was beyond her palate.

Travel and cruising is all about experiences. My older one is an avid French fan (language and all) and the opportunity to experience far out things was incredible. If the kids are of a reasonable age, I would try the 'let's see what is for formal and if it stares back at you we try plan B' approach.

BTW, the guy (or gal) who came up with the onion soup needs a ship named after him/her...

Another opportunity to try out new things is breakfast and tea...

OK, let's get back to the question posed...

We were recently on the Regal with a 2.95 year old who eats everything and a very pickey 10 year old. The kids menu had spaghetti and meatballs, chicken fingers, hamburgers, fish sticks and a few other things. One night we asked the head waiter to make her mac and cheese for the next night and it was done without a problem. The pickey one ate steaks with fries almost every meal and managed to survive! They are really good about getting whatever you ask for.One night I noticed a "love boat volcano" on the kids menu for dessert and I ordered it for myself-turned out to be a really good small sized banana split! Yummy.

In addition to the kids menu (which is pretty good as Ethel5 describes), the ships have various "restaurants". When we were on the Star, my daughter (age 5) ate at the pizza bar every night for dinner. We would take her for pizza and then to the Fun Zone; my husband and I would enjoy a nice adult dinner in the dinning room. Also, the Sun and the Star both had a hamburger bar.

"Cruisin' Chick,

Just curious how one becomes a picky eater. I am a highly adventerous eater. I'd guess its because my Dad was a meat and potatoes guy with the meat well, well done.[dark brown all the way through] So that's the way we ate our meat too. Veggies cooked to mush too. So when I got out in the world, the tastes, textures, and choices amazed me. Still do.

Dan

I tend to order off of children's menus a lot, because that's where the "normal" food is. They let me do this on the Magic with no problem at all, right down to the Mickey ice cream bars. :) Will they let me do this on Princess too?

-gina-

I had to go way back and find the post I did about Princess' Kids' menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79028

My children (2 and 4 at the time) enjoyed the alphabet soup. I thought the chicken fingers were superb. I like to order ice cream sorbets for the kids from the dinner dessert menus. My kids also likes other desserts from the dessert menu, particularly the creme brulee (it has become my now 5YO's favorite dessert). Besides the dining room, the only other place that offers free ice cream is at the buffet, but you'll have to ask the server there when ice cream will be served (different ships have different ice cream schedule).

If your children enjoy french fries, do order them in the dining room even if it's not on the menu because they will make a fresh batch just for your child.

At the time, I had a child who was allergic to milk and eggs (he has since outgrown these food allergies) and Princess was really accommodating when it comes to serving anything I requested for my children.

If you don't see anything your child enjoys from the kids' menu, you can order anything from the regular menu. If that doesn't work, you can always tell the waiter how you want the food cooked, most will oblige.

Since we have 2 kids, we tend to order 4 different items from the regular menu and have the kids try them all. Sometimes they will try and sometimes they will not. But at least the adults got to try 4 different dishes from each category. After a while, you will figure out what your kids like or dislike. My kids often munch on bread and have some soup; they may or may not try the meats, but they always have a nice dessert to finish up the meal.

I was given gluten-less bread (for people with wheat allergies) and rice milk for my son. I also requested all vegetables and rice steamed without butter added.

There is always hotdogs and pizza by the pool.

I'm not sure how old your children are, but mine are under 5. I stocked up on juice (in kids' sippy cups), yogurts, fruits, and boxed Kellogg's cereals (frosted flakes and fruit loops) every morning at the buffet. I keep these in the fridge or in the desk drawers so the kids can snack during the day. Most of these food items are not available past 11am. You can only get juice in the dining rooms for lunch and dinner. In order to avoid ordering room service or paying for juice, I bring extra sippy/drinking cups that my children normally use and just fill them up during breakfast so my children can have juice throughout the day if they wish.

I have skinny children and I always envy parents who can feed their infants spoonful of baby food a spoon after another (or rather babies who will eat anything their parents feed them). Besides parenting styles and principles, food consumption by children also depends on the children's personality. Some kids don't like fruits and vegetables, others adore them. I'm sure parents have major influence on what they eat as they are the ones buying groceries. I always believe that if a child is hungry enough, he/she will eat. Having said that, I always wish my children would eat more. I would force my children to eat if I could, but they either refuse to open their mouths or they spit it out. Now that they can run away from me, they see food they don't like, they just run away. So what's a mother to do?! We try to buy and feed them foods they like and hopefully that food will have some nutritional value.

Cruising is great because it offers so many different kinds of foods that I learn about my children's likes and dislikes quickly. I love the buffet on the Princess. My picky eaters are bound to find something they want to eat along the buffet line. If all fails, bring your child to the dining room and just order their favorite food.

A side note, if you have small children, meals in the dining room can be long, but if you are prepared, you can avoid meltdowns. Give your kids something to do (if they are too young to read the menu) like paper and crayons to draw, puzzles to do, or a book to read while you read the menu and order food. We bring a portable DVD player and play their favorite DVD after they are done eating (usually the adults are still eating) so the adults can finish up the meal in peace. You may not want to invest in a portable DVD player, but as long as you find things for your youngsters to do, your meal time will be more enjoyable.

HTH.

Oops, there is a danger of being online when under the influence of allergy medicine. I accidentally said "I was anorexic" when I meant they knew I wasn't.

Dan, I told my hubby about your stance on picky eating. He definitely isn't a picky eater. He grew up in a Kosher house but will eat just about anything (other than Fear Factor grub, I imagine). But he disagrees with you, acknowledging that forcing a child to eat isn't a good idea: "they will resent" the parent and won't keep eating that food anyway. Some of us start off being picky or may become picky at some point. I can't tell you why. Maybe there is something genetic or behavorial. I didn't study this topic in college. But I imagine you're not an expert, either.

I may still be a picky eater at 51 but I'm in pretty good health (just had my physical), except for the hay fever. And I know I'm allergic (or intolerant) to certain foods such as shellfish and yogurt.

I have never touched a cigarette or tried recreational drugs. So I wasn't adventurous in those areas. To me, I'm just not that curious about food "textures". Food is just not a big deal with me. I eat to live, rather than live to eat. To each his own, right? Even little children.

My 25 yr old, 13 yr old, & 10 yr old claimed to be "starving" on the Caribbean Princess. I have to admit that they did not do a good job of having kid friendly stuff in the buffets. They did not like the pizza or burgers or hot dogs being served. They all basically lived on cookies for a week other than the Pizza Hut they had on St Thomas!!

Archived