Caye Caulker. is it worth the visit??

delmar60

A reminder for those going to Cay Caulker as well as on private tours that there is a time difference in Belize compared to ships time & that time difference is an additional hour when the US is on DST. When you sail on Carnival that ship stays on the home port's time which may vary several hours from Belize time.

Please be sure that you know the time difference as the local tours & water taxis could care less about ship's time & stay on their local time.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Hey Berybright, I have been in contact with a lady by the name of Shelly at www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com Round trip is $17.50, she has advised me off the time change as well, the ship gets into Belize at 9am SHIP time, which is 7am Belize time, 45 minute boat trip over, the dock for the taxi is about a 8 minute walk from the pier. I have already purchased my tickets!! Hope to see you there!!:)

My wife and i are always in bright Hawaiin shirts--- oh yeah, we are pretty big people so we kind of stand out like sore thumbs lol:p

You sound like fun folks! What else are you planning for the trip? I might just follow you at every port... :)

Sorry, everyone else, for hijacking this post.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be at Chankanaab too (although we are doing a la carte option) with a dolphin something-or-other thrown in there. Will keep an eye out for your colorful shirts.

Are you sure I can't entice you over to roll calls? We're fun. We're funny. And, most importantly, we will all be a bit sunburned 3 weeks from today. Woo hoo!

My family and I went to Caye Caulker through Coral Breeze last March. We had a great guide for the boat ride who really enjoyed talking and sharing his life with us. We got to Caye Caulker and rented a golf cart for cheap and went and hung out on the beach. Their local beer was cheap and tasty. We then went and ate a great lunch at a place on the water.

Definitely will go there again with Coral Breeze.

Does anyone know where the water taxi drops you off in reference to the split?

From Google Maps, it looks as though it's about a 10 minute walk from the water taxi stop to the split. Not sure how accurate that is.

From Google Maps, it looks as though it's about a 10 minute walk from the water taxi stop to the split. Not sure how accurate that is.

Thats about right. 10 minutes if you take your time..... from the Water Taxi. Keep your right foot in the water and you will find it. You can also take a golf cart taxi if in a hurry for about $5.

Thats about right. 10 minutes if you take your time..... from the Water Taxi. Keep your right foot in the water and you will find it. You can also take a golf cart taxi if in a hurry for about $5.

Love it! Those are directions that even I can't screw up!

GOOOO SLOOOOOW :D:D

After reading through this thread a little more, I think we're going to go the "taxi to Caye Caulker" route -- especially since we've got Faster To The Fun on the Carnival Dream so we can get on the first tenders that morning.

Does anyone know the time difference? I think Belize is two hours behind ship's time? Or is it the opposite?

Well, 6 days to go for my ice cold 10.00 buckets of beer on Caye Caulker!! Weather does not look great, but rain and 90 degrees, on a beach is just fine with me!!:p

Please come back and post your water taxi experience afterwards. :)

Edited by CDNJehn

Not a problem, looking forward to this new adventure! Shelly at the water taxi company seems very nice and informative, even told me that you can bring beer on the boat for the ride over!! Count me in!

Which water taxi company were you dealing with?

So aside from the Split, is there anywhere else we should see? Are there any other public "beach" areas to relax?

I read a reveiw where someone claims they were assaulted outside the washrooms at Lazy Lizard, others have had their hotel rooms broken into, some having items stolen from their purse/bags. I've also done a good amount of reading about people's experience leaving the tourism village and making their way to the taxi. Anyone have feedback on the do's and don'ts of making your way TO Caye Caulker and hanging out ON Caye Caulker?

I think hubby and I are smart, alert travellers ... but I like to be armed with as much information as I can and be prepared for the day.

I've never had any issues wandering around outside the Tourism Village, in fact I enjoy meeting and chatting with the locals. A polite 'no thank you' was all that was required for any vendor that approached us.

Be aware of your surroundings like you should in any unfamiliar setting and you'll be just fine. I took my wife's uncle walking around last year and we had a great time, ending at a local watering hole for a couple of cold Belikin beers.

• 1 month later...