applying for permission after DWI --Qs

Almost 15 years ago I did something stupid -- drove after I'd been drinking.

I was on Canada's official site trying to understand what I have to do to be let into the country. But I'm confused.

There's a form I can download & fill out. Then I mail it in with $200 & ask permission in advance. If they deem me to be some kind of serious threat, they can either reject it outright or make me pay an additional $800 to have some kind of hearing. Given what happened I doubt I'll need the hearing because I think I can be "deemed rehabilitated" based on the passage of time. Do you all agree?

There seems to be some other process I couldn't quite get a handle on that involves just showing up & asking. Granted you risk being told no but that doesn't seem to be a huge problem on a cruise; I'd just go back to the ship & wait 'till we get to Alaska. Does this also have the $200 fee? How long is the approval process? I wouldn't want to get stuck in a line all day on my vacation.

My other concern is with the documents I'd have to produce to request entry. In NJ there are no orders showing that I completed my sentence -- which was a loss of license. I just got the license back. Does anybody know if the Canadian gov't will want more proof? If so, what? How can I produce something that doesn't exist?

Finally, if I go through this process & get a favorable result -- meaning I can enter the country -- is that good forever or will I have to do this again if I want to come back?

TIA

This is a one time fee and once you are approved you never need worry about entry into Cda again based upon this offence. Think of it like a pardon for your offence. Yes you can just show up without the application and yes you may be admitted into Cda and yes you may be denied. First and foremost be straight up and honest with the Cdn Border Services agent. If you get get caught in a lie you will most certainly be hooped. Your entry into Cda is at the discression of the agent. Unlike many places in the US where DWI is treated as a misdemener in Cda it is a Criminal Code offence and although not likely a first offence can garner you significant jail time.

My next door neighbour processes these requests for the RCMP. Basically your name gets run through a system called CPIC which is our record of outstanding warrents. It is hooked to several international systems including Interpol. If you did your time for the crime and have no outstanding wants or warrents related to the offence in question you have nothing to worry about. If you were sentenced to a fine and didn't pay it there would be an outstanding warrant.

Its a pay your money or take your chances kind of thing.

Archived