Question about 1388

I am considering booking cabin 1388 on the Explorer of the Seas. It was my understanding that this room was a little bigger than standard D1 balcony, however RCCL is telling me that it is not. They state that it is only 188 sq ft. They also tell me that a roll a way will not fit in this room.....

Has anyone actually had a rollaway in cabin 1388? I also want to confirm that the balcony, is indeed private????

Also, is it true that there will be no ocean breeze on an aft cabin? I love the idea of the view, but would miss the breezes.

My budget does not actually allow me to book any more than a standard D1, but I'm looking for something bigger than 188 sq ft!! Who isn't, right???

Kathy

I was in 1688 (same cabin layout other side of the ship) in June on the Navigator. This cabin is much larger than a standard D1. It's a little bit shorter but about twice as wide. When I researched, I was told it was just about the same size as a Jr. suite, but without the bathtub. I would think that a roll away would fit just fine as long as you folded it up during the day. It would block access to the mini fridge and some of the drawers when open.

The balcony was relatively private. The only people who could see you would be the people in the next cabin and they would need to lean around the divider to do that. The Windjammer is overhead but they cannot see you nor was there ever any noise heard in the cabin from the restaurant.

Being in an aft cabin you don't get the same breeze you do in a regular balcony, but the increased size of the balcony (2 chairs, table and full size lounger and still tons of space) made up for that. We were a family of 3 and the balcony became a 2nd room for us. There was still a breeze if you walked up to the railing.

The balcony is so deep that on our last day at Sea, it rained all day. I pulled the lounger up under the overhang and stayed dry while I read and relaxed. Others were almost fighting for chairs in the covered section of the Solarium.

It was my first time in this cabin and I know I don't want to go back to a regular D1. OK, I've booked Xmas '06 in a regular D1, but keep checking to see of 1388 or 1688 open up.

I'm curious. Did you hear any noise from the Windjammer overhead? On our Glory cruise, we were under the bar and heard chairs moving around quite a bit...

No noise at all from the Windjammer. Not even any hallway noise as the door is tucked around into a little alcove.

Recently returned from 1688 on Mariner.... no noise from above, private and rain-protected areas of the balcony, but we could still get some sun and a breeze.

As for the rollaway, we had one and it was no problem. It was folded up and tucked into a corner during the day.

From what I was told as well, this cabin is closer to the size of the JS but because it does not have a tub it is a D1. Having stayed in the JS, 1688 was not all that much smaller.

Archived