Palma, Majorca, Spain- BEACH DAY???

Here are some pictures I took on the path from Ses Salines Cape to the Es Caragol beach. It was april, so not warm enough yet to swim for humans -dogs just don't care-

This is the road aproaching the cape

01.JPG

The wheat fields of gold descending gently towards the sea

02.JPG

Once you reach the lighthouse, take the little path to the right. You can't enter the lighthouse since ii's a small ocean research lab.

03.JPG

Once you get to the sea, you'll see strange stone columns that tourists make for no particular reason. It's a bit curious since along the pedestrian mountain paths of Mallorca a stone pyramid is very important since it is used to point directions. If you follow the stone pyramids you find your way through the forests and paths.

04.JPG

Then the path goes along the coast

05.jpg

06.JPG

Like I said, quite romantic ;-)

07.JPG

Finally you'll get closer to the beach

08.JPG

Irresistible!

09.JPG

In summer time the Posidonia oceanica (commonly known as Neptune Grass or Mediterranean tapeweed) rests disappear and the waters are usually very clean. Since all Balearic islands are surrounded by this sea plant, the waters are properly oxygenated and mostly crystal clear. Fun fact: the continuous Posidonia Oceanica that is located in between the islands of Ibiza and Formentera is the biggest and oldest organism on planet earth.

10.JPG

Then after beach time, just go back by the same path

011.jpg

That's it folks!

12.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The tour company has offered a tour combining city of Palma and beach. We have 3 options for beaches not so far from the city. Illetas, Palma Nova or Magalluf. Which of the beaches you recommend us? Thank you very much for you help!

Palmanova and Magalluf beaches are just one after the other, you can walk along the promenade between the two. They are about the same. Illetas is smaller, so depending on when you go it might be crowded.

I've never been to any of them, since we go to beaches closer to where we live, that we also like much more.

Those beaches are OK, but unfortunately the Magalluf area is full of young english people who are just annoying. Big business for some bars etc, but a problem for anyone else. The beach itself is nice.

Lately there has been major revitalization investment by Melia in the Palmanova - Magalluf area, and it has proven quite successful. Here you have for example a picture of the Sol Wave House, with 2 flowriders (one with waves) in front of Magalluf beach.

02solwavehouse-general.jpg

http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/sol-wave-house/the-waves.html

And this is the beach, seen from the Me Mallorca Hotel (http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/me-mallorca/index.html) with Punta Ballena cape on the distance (where most bars are). Rather ugly with so many buildings near the sea, but not that bad if you have little time.

37beachhouse-view-from-the-hotel.jpg

You can go to the Nikki Beach there (a beach club)

http://www.nikkibeach.com/mallorca/findus.php

Edited by Elmartellama

Besides Palmanova, are there any other family friendly beaches that are a little more low key? Palmanova looks great, just want to explore all my options. We are looking for a good swimming beach and some restaurants within walking distance. We will be in Palma de Mallorca on a Saturday, beginning of June and coming from the Epic ship. Thx!!

Thanks for all the great info. We will be there first week of nov. Is it warm enough to do the beach? If not what else would you suggest? Thanks

It is usually not, temps might reach 20ºC easily but the water is usually much colder than summer. Last year's early November was very hot, around 25ºC, but don't count on that for sure, it might rain also.

Besides Palmanova, are there any other family friendly beaches that are a little more low key? Palmanova looks great, just want to explore all my options. We are looking for a good swimming beach and some restaurants within walking distance. We will be in Palma de Mallorca on a Saturday, beginning of June and coming from the Epic ship. Thx!!

There are 208 beaches listed at the official website:

http://www.platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/portada_isla.en.jsp?cIsl=MA

It all depends on what you understand as family beach. For example, the beaches of the northern and eastern coasts tend to attract more families since there are many family oriented resorts in that area.

If by family beach you understand somewhere where top-less is non present, sorry, no guarantee on that since is a common thing.

If you have time and want to go to the Alcudia bay beaches, you are likely to find more families.

Provided time you can try Playa de Muro, easily accessible by bus from Palma. There are many Kms of white sand and turquoise water beaches. Some parts are more built and family oriented and some other parts are more natura, all very nice and covered by buses from Palma (it's about 60km away)

Alcudia bay is the place of Spain with higher hotel-occupancy ratio for a reason, and during summertime hotels are 100% full, so you will find many services, it's a lovely area and the one I usually go to.

ima_foto7233.jpg

ima_foto7231.jpg

ima_foto7857.jpg

ima_foto7851.jpg

http://www.platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/playa_basico.en.jsp?cPla=44001&cMun=14&cIsl=MA

I realize I will not be able to avoid topless beaches, I am not too bothered by that ...would prefer not to go to fully nude beaches though as I will have three young children in tow. I would like something with calm swimming waters...the one you suggested looks amazing! I will look more into that one..thank you!

I realize I will not be able to avoid topless beaches, I am not too bothered by that ...would prefer not to go to fully nude beaches though as I will have three young children in tow. I would like something with calm swimming waters...the one you suggested looks amazing! I will look more into that one..thank you!

It's not that all women in a particular beach are topless anyway! and probably in a very busy or familiar beach you won't see much of it.

I wouldn't worry about that at all, just realize that there are thousands of children in the beach at all times and nothing happens, just try not to choose a natural or deserted beach, since it's more likely that people there would be the way they like (and even so, just move a bit away and you'd be fine!). Even if there are not strict rules, it is just a matter of respect and there is never a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the updates and information, Elmartellama!

We will be docking in Palma on the Epic in July, a family of 4 with 2 teenage boys.

We're looking for a beach day, and I think Palma Nova looks like a good choice for us, given the time constraints (1pm - 8pm docking time).

What is the best way to get there from the cruise port for 4 people? Taxi? Is the bus very easy to navigate? Exactly where would I ask to be dropped off? I know it's a long beach... we would want to be somewhere near we could rent chairs and umbrella, restaurant, and toilet.

You posted photos of the Melia - can non-guests use their facilities?

Thanks in advance!

Just take any of the following intercity buses: 104 / 106 / 107. Their combined frequency during summertime is around 15 minutes or less.

Get on at: Palma -> Av. Gabriel Roca - C/ Porto Pi

Get off at: Palmanova ->Plaça passeig de la Mar

From the Port, the bus stop it's less than 5 minutes away. The bus stop is at the big promenade, you should cross to the opposite sidewalk and turn right until you see the stop. Take a look at the map of the link, it's very clear and very well marked. Choose the direction "Palma -Peguera" and you'll see the blue line and the stop.

When you reach the beach I think you should be able to recognise it easily, since before that stop I mention the bus runs along the Palmanova promenade for a while. Just ask for directions to the driver or other passengers, many people will also get off there.

http://www.tib.org/portal/es/web/ctm/autobus/linia/104

http://www.tib.org/portal/es/web/ctm/autobus/linia/106

http://www.tib.org/portal/es/web/ctm/autobus/linia/107

Like I said, I don't visit that beaches. But just as any other non virgin beach in Mallorca you'll find plenty of services. There's even a nice enough Waterpark a bit further down the road, also with a 104 bus stop, which is called Western Park (http://www.westernpark.com)

Just take into account that the little municipality of Calvia, where those beaches are, has 60.000 hotel beds (which is probably the biggest resort capacity municipality in the Mediterranean). During summertime, Calvia only handles almost the same number of hotel nights as a big touristic city like Barcelona. So don't worry about anything, everything is made for tourists.

In a worse case scenario, or I you are not confident enough, just take a Taxi,. It's not that far and it shouldn't be too expensive. Maybe 40€ - 50€ return ? not sure about it.

Edited by Elmartellama

Thank you so much for the wonderful detail!

We'll try the bus and knowing the stop names ahead of time will definitely help. I know it will be somewhat crowded but with our limited time in port I want to stay fairly close.

I can't wait for our visit!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks vatali! 18 euro sounds pretty good to me. How far was the beach from where the ship docks? Great tip about the store across the street! It's just my husband and I so we aren't too worried about the typical European beach culture haha.

Also great tip at Cirque! Did you pay extra for that table? I've heard there's a fee but it's well worth it. We can start booking dinners on Sunday so that was on my list. Did you eat at any speciality restaurants that you can recommend?

Thanks again!

I just read that Majorca has just banned uncovered bathing suits in public, so cover up before heading over to the grocery store. I'm doing the Epic too, in late June. Be sure to write a review!

• 3 weeks later...
Palmanova and Magalluf beaches are just one after the other, you can walk along the promenade between the two. They are about the same. Illetas is smaller, so depending on when you go it might be crowded.

I've never been to any of them, since we go to beaches closer to where we live, that we also like much more.

Those beaches are OK, but unfortunately the Magalluf area is full of young english people who are just annoying. Big business for some bars etc, but a problem for anyone else. The beach itself is nice.

Lately there has been major revitalization investment by Melia in the Palmanova - Magalluf area, and it has proven quite successful. Here you have for example a picture of the Sol Wave House, with 2 flowriders (one with waves) in front of Magalluf beach.

02solwavehouse-general.jpg

http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/sol-wave-house/the-waves.html

And this is the beach, seen from the Me Mallorca Hotel (http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/me-mallorca/index.html) with Punta Ballena cape on the distance (where most bars are). Rather ugly with so many buildings near the sea, but not that bad if you have little time.

37beachhouse-view-from-the-hotel.jpg

You can go to the Nikki Beach there (a beach club)

http://www.nikkibeach.com/mallorca/findus.php

Thank you very much for all the information!

• 1 month later...
We changed our mind on going to the beach since we only have 7 hours in port. Instead we are going to Mallorca Cathedral and to some local shops and restaurants. Will do the beach in Barcelona

You will probably like the historic centre of Palma as well. Barcelona beaches are very inferior in terms of quality though.