Last Minute Cruise Prices

Rusko

I'm new to cruising, do prices always drop days before a cruise? Our travel agent offered a "special" low group price (30+) and for booking early (last fall). I noticed prices on the travel agents page and the NCL page are offering prices dramatically lower than what we paid. Is this common, or did we get taken for a ride? I saw a suite listed for several hundred less than our balcony.

-Rusko

Prices don't always drop, but they often do.

I originally booked an inside cabin for our cruise on the Breakaway in a few weeks. As the cruise has gotten closer, prices have gone down so that an oceanview is less than what we paid, and a balcony (which was originally priced too high for me) became only $100 or so more than what we paid.

You can't get the cruise line to give you the difference back, but you can upgrade to the higher category. I called my travel agent and got us moved up to the balcony for the price difference.

Give your agent a call and see what they can do for you. In your case, you may be able to be moved into the suite free of charge.

Thanks for your input. Of course we did not expect a refund, we tried to upgrade and were declined (because it is so close to the cruise). I will wait until after the cruise to see if our agent cares about customer loyalty and word of mouth (and message board)

Thanks for your input. Of course we did not expect a refund, we tried to upgrade and were declined (because it is so close to the cruise). I will wait until after the cruise to see if our agent cares about customer loyalty and word of mouth (and message board)

What are they going to do for you after the cruise?

How close are you to sailing? It sounds like you booked through an independent travel agent. I'd have a conversation with them before the cruise and just explain that you know they can't get you into the better cabin, but ask them what they *can* do to meet in the middle.

Honey goes much farther than vinegar.

Declined for being "so close"? We have received uspsell calls directly from NCL (Booked with our PCC, not travel agent) 3 days prior to sailing. If there are rooms available in any specific category, it is never too late. On our 6/23 Breakaway sailing, a fellow roll call member was actually moved from an inside to a balcony while ON the ship. Never too late, you have to call back your travel agent and complain!!!!

I would push a little harder with your agent. Be nice about it, of course, but an upgrade is something that they can definitely do (as long as there's space). Even if it's only a couple days beforehand.

After the cruise they can't do anything for you, so I would call again.

If it helps, tell them that you talked to plenty of people on CruiseCritic that have done the same thing. Sometimes if you throw out the name "CruiseCritic", you'll get a better response -- it worked for me in the past.

I would push a little harder with your agent. Be nice about it, of course, but an upgrade is something that they can definitely do (as long as there's space). Even if it's only a couple days beforehand.

After the cruise they can't do anything for you, so I would call again.

If it helps, tell them that you talked to plenty of people on CruiseCritic that have done the same thing. Sometimes if you throw out the name "CruiseCritic", you'll get a better response -- it worked for me in the past.

Agreed. Throw out CruiseCritic, and put a bit more pressure on them.

If you've used this agency for other travel, also throw out the "we've used your agency for XYZ trips and have always been satisfied, and I'm saddened to see the decline in what used to be excellent service"

There's not likely to be anything your agent can do after the cruise. NCL dropped the price for new bookings--they didn't hand your agent a refund on your particular fare. If you want some consideration for an upgrade, obc, whatever, you need to do it before the cruise.

Depending on the cruise I have seen prices go up.

Usually within 90 days of sailing you are stuck with whatever price you paid.

As others have mentioned, keep pressuring your TA. Understand you are more likely to get OBC than a refund.

Agree, don't wait until after the cruise to try and resolve your issues. You're paying your TA so make them do their job. If you see a cabin in a better category for the same price that you paid, you should be able to upgrade into it. However, since you say this is "special" group booking, there may be some restrictions on it. Best to ask your TA if there are specific restrictions that prevent you from upgrading, and have them call up NCL and ask for a supervisor. If you TA isn't willing to do their job and help resolve your complaint, then the problem is with the TA and not NCL.

Prices fluctuate due to market demand. Cruise lines may drop the price to fill cabins, or they may raise the price on a popular sailing. Try to be satisfied with the price you paid or you wouldn't have booked to begin with. Bon voyage.

Archived