USA Direct

My wife and I will be going on the Sapphire Princess in late August on a 14 day round-trip that is to/from Vancouver. We will be arriving on the date of departure and returning home on the date of arrival.

The last time we went to Alaska was in 2007. Back then, there was a program called USA Direct. They checked us in at DFW and had us all set to clear customs after our arrival (or so my memory says). I cannot find anything on it now. Does anyone know if this program or anything like it is still in effect? Thanks.

Note: My apologies if this has been asked/answered previously. I did a forum search on this topic and could not find an answer.

You might have missed it on the search because it's officially called US Direct. It has reappeared, for cruisers on certain lines only (Princess is one), and everything on the YVR website about it only mentions one-way *to* the ship, so it may not be available on the way back.

I think someone actually posted recently about having used it in June - anybody reading this with experience of the 2013 version want to chip in...?

The US Direct program was curtailed a few years ago but has quietly been reinstated this year and is supported specific airlines and cruise lines. It is only operational from YVR to Canada Place. As you are traveling in an "in bond" type situation you must go directly from YVR to Canada Place....no sightseeing or shopping. I have read on another forums that Princess is operating a similar program in reverse but you would have to get details of it from the Passenger Services Desk on the ship. Like the US Direct program it does involve purchasing their luggage and transfer package.

Archived