What NOT TO DO on Grand Bahama Island?

TugMD

Hello, everyone! We will be on GBI from 2PM to 8PM on a Sunday. Kinda confused as to what to do, can't make up our mind. So, I thought I'd ask what NOT TO DO (Don't waste time) while there. Awaiting your comments!:)

KingBob...

We'll be on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas and stopping there from 2PM to 8PM on a Sunday. Sorry, should have put in more info :rolleyes:. Is it even worth us getting off the ship?

TugMD

Well, I looked in my RCI guide for your cruise and it looks like this will be your only stop in the Bahamas besides Coco Cay. There are just a few "shops" selling things at Coco Cay so if you have any desire to buy anything from the Bahamas, then you'll need to get off the ship. Cozumel will be your best shopping stop, for sure and Key West the most touristy.

So given that, I'd say yes, you should get off the ship. Typically not much opens on Sundays in Freeport but exceptions are made when ships are in port. Of course I can't promise you anything. I recommend you listen to the "port talk" on board because the CD will tell you what to expect in the way of openings. Surely some openings have been arranged with "preferred shops".

There is nothing at the port. It is industrial in nature and about a 15-minute drive to town. Shared-taxi prices are reasonable and are your only option from the port. The two shopping areas are the International Bazaar in Freeport and Port Lucaya in Lucaya. (See my other Freeport/GBI posting for more details.) You could do the beach at Lucaya but you've got the beach the next day anyway. If the ship offers an excursion to the tropical gardens that can be interesting if you like plants. How impressive any of this is depends on whether you've been to the Bahamas before or to other islands in the Caribbean. For a first-timer this is all pretty beautiful, for sure.

So if it's going to be a pretty day, get off the ship and explore GBI.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

KingBob:

Thanks for the response, will certainly take your comments into consideration. Was thinking of doing the "Town and Country" tour which included a stop I believe in Lucaya for shopping and a complimentary drink stop. This is a first time for two in our group, second for me as I've already been to Nassau. We're definitely not making GBI a "beachy" stop since Coco Cay is the next day.

Thanks again...:)

TugMD

Archived