Spray Tan Question

Delpha

I'm wondering about the spray tan. Has anyone done that? I'm super fair (I mean SUPAH fair) and I'm not a big fan of the tanning lotions I've used. I end up orange a lot, Jergens turned me a nice shade of yellow :rolleyes: , and well it's either the spray tan or a tanning bed. Tanning bed's not something I want to do, but I don't want to walk around the ship looking like a ghost in the land of the tanned either sooooo.....

I also don't plan on swimming much if that makes a difference. I'll be gone for 9 days......we're leaving early and staying in New Orleans for a while before our cruise.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

The spray tans make some people orange also. I have had the best luck with a product called St. Tropez sunless mousse. I have to put it on about every three days to keep it pretty dark but it is easy to do. I use the plastic throw away gloves to put it on. The #1 trick I have found to not make it orange is to exfoliate really well before you put it on, especially the ruff spots knees, elbows & feet. I purchase this produt from my local hairdresser but i know it is avaiable at places like ultra 3 or maybe on the web.

Delpha,

Have you evern tried a sunless tanner with a bronzer in it? Maybe the bronzer would have the color you're looking for and gives you instant color instead of waiting for the sunless tanner to kick in. Of course, you'd want to check this out well before your cruise to make sure when the bronzer washes off, the sunless tanner underneath doesn't leave you looking orange.

There must be something about different skin types that causes this- I have never felt I looked orange. I always stick to the lighter shades and do not try to go unnaturally dark. I use Neutragena and lately I've been using the Sunless Tanning Mousse with Instant Bronzer. It also doesn't smell as weird as the others I've tried and since it has a bronzer in it, you can see where it's going before it's too late and you end up with streaks.

I uses a spray tan a few weeks ago. Had it done the morning we left for our cruise. I loved it. The only thing I found the first day was it did stain my under garmets...washed out easliy enough once home..:D

Most professional spray tans take two or three applicaitons to get a nice rich tan. They then only last about 3-4 days. Be Careful too, just because your skin is stained brown, doesn't mean you won't burn. A spray tan is just that...a sprayed on liquid that stains the skin. It doesn't give you any sun protection. You will need to slather on the SPF.

Now, in my opinion, I would suggest the electric tan as it does give you a decent base tan (you may still need a little bit of protection). I always tan before any trip and haven't been burned in 15 years, and I rarely use sunscreen.

There are all the anti-sun folk out there with their skin cancer warnings, but then rarely let you know that those that "burn often" are the most high at risk. I love the deep brown I get from a bed, and I don't have to worry about the screen, or the orange rubbing off on my clothes, or it not lasting the entire trip.

Even though I hadn't done it in years, I opted for the tanning bed option before our Bermuda cruise in July. I decided I wanted a base tan so I wouldn't have to worry so much about burning. I will still use sun screen, of course, but will not be in danger of a bad burn.

I got a "professional" spray tan and while it looked good for a day or two it started blotching off of my face when it got hot...I was in my mail truck when I looked in the mirror and noticed it! How silly did it look! I was able to rub a lot of it off with some hand wipes and then washed my face in a bathroom. It lasted a little longer on my legs. I did get another one because I had paid up front for three. I do not know if I will get the third. The tanning person did not really let me know about the hot weather thing. If you will not be moving around a lot and sweating in hot weather you probably will be fine. Just find a a good place to get it done.

My dd is as fair as you can be and just about every year she thinks "I can get a tan this year" well she has finally given up and has tried the different sunless tanners and she has found the "coppertone Sunless Tanning Lotion" to work best. She also has to use gloves to put it on. Just another suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Delpha,

I too am very fair. I've been very happy with L'oreal Sublime Bronze light-medium. I've put it on once a week preping to leave out of New Orleans too. I tried on my variety of swimsuits to see where I wanted my "tan lines" to be. I wash my hands very throughoughly after each application, next time I''ll try gloves.

Hi Delpha,

I am also very fair (white like paper, my sister says) and I could never tan, only sunburn. I tried tanning lotions but it looked fake. Last year I went to a salon and tried Mystic Tan, which is a spray booth. FANTASTIC! It's a little freaky inside the booth, and there are a lot of instructions, and it was $ 29, but it was worth a million to me. I chose the light tan & it was very realistic, even on my face which nevers gets color. It lasted almost a week & wore off naturally w/o splotches. You need to exfoliate first & don't go for the medium.

Most professional spray tans take two or three applicaitons to get a nice rich tan. They then only last about 3-4 days. Be Careful too, just because your skin is stained brown, doesn't mean you won't burn. A spray tan is just that...a sprayed on liquid that stains the skin. It doesn't give you any sun protection. You will need to slather on the SPF.

Now, in my opinion, I would suggest the electric tan as it does give you a decent base tan (you may still need a little bit of protection). I always tan before any trip and haven't been burned in 15 years, and I rarely use sunscreen.

There are all the anti-sun folk out there with their skin cancer warnings, but then rarely let you know that those that "burn often" are the most high at risk. I love the deep brown I get from a bed, and I don't have to worry about the screen, or the orange rubbing off on my clothes, or it not lasting the entire trip.

I am extremly fair and before I go on my cruises I always do the tanning beds for a couple of months before. I do it in short doses to limit exposure. I usually end up with a light base tan. Then when I go on the cruise, I still wear sunblock. But I have not burned yet on my cruises and the tan I have looks natural because it is. In addition, the tanning helped my skin improve, i.e. my acne started to clear up.

And as to the skin cancer warnings, it is now recommended that most people get small amounts of sun daily. Small amounts of sun exposure can help your skin produce vitamin D which can help protect against skin cancer.

Archived