Canon ELPH 330 or Niikon S6500

I think I have finally narrowed my search for a mid price compact camera(200.00 or under) and am trying to decide between these two cameras. Doe's anyone have any experience with either that would help my decision?

I would suggest that the Nikon P310 would be a far better camera than the S6500. It does not have quite the lens zoom range, but in all other aspects it is a superior camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-NIKKOR/dp/B0073HSH08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374196955&sr=8-1&keywords=p310

I know you recommended this camera on another thread, but I really can't bring myself to buy a camera with only a 4x zoom...I currently have a 3x zoom and it is not nearly enough. We are going to Europe and I need a good zoom to focus in on architecture and laandscapes. This Canon has a 10x opticak zoom and I the Nikon a 12x

Just realize that as you increase zoom power, you lose optical quality... more or less. More with some cameras, less with others - depending on brand and build quality.

While 12x is about the threshold of noticeable optical deficiencies (again, depending on brand and build quality), anything more powerful and you should specifically make a point to check the lens quality.

Just realize that as you increase zoom power, you lose optical quality... more or less. More with some cameras, less with others - depending on brand and build quality.

While 12x is about the threshold of noticeable optical deficiencies (again, depending on brand and build quality), anything more powerful and you should specifically make a point to check the lens quality.

So back to my original question..do you think I'd be better with the nikon or canon..or are they pretty much the same?

I've done somecomparison on line and doen't see a whole lot of difference...I was hoping someone with first hand experience with either of these could provide some input.

I know you recommended this camera on another thread, but I really can't bring myself to buy a camera with only a 4x zoom...I currently have a 3x zoom and it is not nearly enough. We are going to Europe and I need a good zoom to focus in on architecture and laandscapes. This Canon has a 10x opticak zoom and I the Nikon a 12x

Landscapes you generally want as wide as possible (1x). Architecture as well, you generally don't need more than the equivalent of 2-3x. Problem with shooting architecture with a superzoom -- you generally want to preserve the details and straight lines of architecture, while a superzoom will create a lot of barrel distortion.

I suggest you look at this album that I did:

It's Disney world, but heavily focused on landscapes and architecture. All shot with less than a 3.7x zoom.

To answer your question --- Of those 2 cameras you listed, they both have very similar features. They both sport low quality slow lenses, and small sensors. The Canon may be a hair better, for slightly better video capabilities and a slightly wider lens (24mm vs 25mm), and as I said-- wider is better for landscapes. Truthfully, I wouldn't waste my money on either of those cameras, as I'd rather just use my iPhone 5, which will give fairly similar image quality.

To compare both of them to awboater's recommendation of the Nikon P310-- The P310 would give you a much faster lens, better low light ability, and the ability to shoot panoramas and HDR.

An Example of in-camera Panorama:

7915285264_c0e23a0460_b.jpg

Untitled by Havoc315, on Flickr

8034304978_054c4305cd_b.jpg

All Imported-226 by Havoc315, on Flickr

In-camera HDR:

7908620048_20fe899a2b_b.jpg

Tower of Terror lobby by Havoc315, on Flickr

I don't know anything about those two cameras. If you can swing the extra $60, Amazon has the Sony HX10V with a 16x zoom for $260. I think they're great cameras. They are well reviewed too.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_hx10v_review/

Good luck! Have a great cruise whichever camera you take.

Vic

Archived