luggage weight....concerned

On The Run

If you do any hops separately, within Europe, the allowance is MUCH lower. 1 bag per person at 20Kg (44 lbs.). The budget airlines sometimes have lower allowances.

As our so called governor would say, "Suck it up, baby." ;)

Just a heads up... That travel scale is nothing more than a $4.95 fish scale you can get at Walmart or any sports store. Half the price, and you don't pay shipping!

I checked my local Wal Mart and they had none - most of the sites that have fishermans scales - the units are only 30 pounds and many of them are much more than I paid for the Maggellan unit.

Bass Pro Shop has one for $6 + shipping.

The Maggellan is guaranteed for life.

Ron

rundent,

I think it has to do with the amount of weight the baggage handlers have to lift at one time....a workers compensation thing. At least that's what I've been told at the airport...that the risk of back injury is less with two 49 lb bags being lifted separately, than one 70 lb bag.

Happy Sailings!

What I don't understand is that you can have 2 bags per person that weigh 49 lbs. a piece and it's ok. If you have one bag at 60-70 lbs they are actually carring less weight on the plane,also less to handle but would charge you. They should have a total bagage [carry-on too] allowance for each passanger. I am going to have to buy an extra bag that will add to my schlepping burden and increase my total weight. I think I have belabored this point enough.

I think it's more about the employees handling the bags than the number. We try to pack for 7 days no matter how long we're gone....the longer we're gone, the more laundry we do :D !! No one remembers what you've worn! The only problem becomes when yoo do a warm/cold weather trip (SA), when you need parkas and swimwear!!

Archived