Just Returned from June 14th Sailing Star Princess - Info. Sharing

Just returned and had wonderful time on Star Princess. We had 10 days of sunny weather and the ship is really beautiful. Was on Tahitian Princess in January and food on this ship was much better. Staff was best and friendliest of any ship I have travelled on this year. Embarkation & Disembarkation was also easiest on any cruise. Arrived at about noon on departure day and was on board & in my cabin by 12:20pm. Bags were in room within an hour! Disembarkation was also very easy. Left ship at 6:30am and was able to take my bags off ship and leave without any delays or problems. Just left the ship and walked to train station for trip to airport.

Ship is very nicely appointed and did Personal Choice Dining. They have 3 main dining rooms. The Amalfi Room is for Traditional Dining and located on rear of deck 6. The Portofino Room (Personal Choice) is midship on Deck 6 and I found that a few evening you had to wait about 30 minutes if you arrived between 7:30pm or 8pm. Went to the Capri Room (Personal Choice-Deck 5 midship) most nights because there was never a wait and the dining rooms are all the same in decor. Staff was great in all dining rooms. Buffet was also very good on this ship. Mainly had breakfast there and lunch a few times.

The easiest way to get to the ship from the airport is to take the train from Kastrup/Airport to the Osterport station and get off and take any train that goes to Hillerod or Helsingor one stop to Nordhavn. It is about a 10 minute walk from Nordhavn station to ship. The cost is $25.50Kroner. You buy a 3 zone ticket. You can change at Central Station and take a train to Norhavn but it is easier to go to Osterport and change there. I found best way to get to Airport was to take the train. Left ship at 6:30am and was at airport 7:30am including walking to station and transferring at Osterport.

I stayed in Copenhagen for 5 nights before boarding the ship and instead of taking the train to ship you can take Bus #26 that stops on Vesterbrogade in front of Central Station. The stop is named Hovedbanegarten. Make sure you only take the bus that goes to Faergehavn Nord. This takes you very close to the ship. Actually closer than the train. The fare for the bus is 17 Kroner. Don't take the bus that goes to Langeliniekaj. This bus runs every 20 minutes and it an easy ride. This bus is also good for the main sightseeing stops in Copenhagen if you are there for a few days. It goes to most of the main tourist areas.

I bought the 3 day Copenhagen Card for 429 Kroner and it was good value. Was able to use it for most of the sightseeing and transportation in Copenhagen I also used the card to take the train to Hillerod and visited Fredericksborg Slot which was excellent and well worth the trip. Then took train to Helsingor and visited Kronberg Slot. Finally took train back to Copenhagen. Did this all in 1 day. If you are going in July, definitely go to Frendensborg Slot since it is only open to public during the month of July. If you do this castle you probably cannot do all three in one day unless you get early start. They say the grounds of Fredensborg are worth the visit but didn't have time to go.

Cruise Director, John Lawrence, on this ship is best I have found anywhere. He is very personable and gives in depth information on all ports including how to get around on your own. He also give great overview & history of each port. He has a dvd of this trip that he sells for $20 that is really worthwhile. You can purchase the dvd from his site at http://www.johnlawrencedvd.com if you have enough time to get it and like to do a lot of preplaning. It is the same information that he gives for each port. He has been covering this area for over 15 years and I can't say enough good things about him.

Ports:

Stockholm:

Took train into Stockholm from Nynashamn. Best to by the 24hr card which is valid on train, city buses, metro and some ferries. It is 95SEK and you buy it at small store at train station (they take cridit cards). Trains leave Nynashamn 7:37am, 8:07am, 8:37am, 9:07am. I took the 8:07am train and was no problem getting off the ship in time to meet this train.

Visited City Hall and took tour and also went up the tower. Then took bus and went to Gamla Stan to pick up ferry to Vasa Museum. This museum is one of the best if not the best museums I have every visited anywhere in the world. It house the 1628 war ship that was sunk in Stockholm harbor for 300 years before being salvaged and restored. The layout and exhibits of this museum are fascinating. After visiting museum took ferry back to Gamla Stan and walked around this charming old town of Stockholm. Would recommend not spending time at City Hall and visiting Palace instead. Area is really quaint. Took the 2:52 train back to port. Make sure you get on first 2 cars of this train since they definitely go to Nynashamn while other cars drop off and you could get stuck.

Helsinki:

There is a Hop On Hop Off Tour Bus located at the dock when you get off the ship. They will give you a group rate of 20 Euros if you have 3 or more people otherwise it is 22 Euros and a great way to get around and see most of the signts of the city. If you just want to go into heart of town & walk around you can take Public Bus #14a or 16 that is about a block away from the ship. If you are up on the Lido deck you can see where the bus stop is. It is not far and very reasonable but I think you have to have euros to get on the bus.

St. Petersburg:

Took Princess's 2 day Grand Tour and it was really wonderful! Only thing we missed was Catherine Palace but you could do that on the evening tour. Several peole did it and loved it. I took went to the folklore show and it was really great. This port was hightlight of the cruise.

Tallinn:

Really beautiful port and very easy to navigate. They give you a map when you get off the ship and you can walk the whole town during short stay here. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was special in the Upper Town and main square was really nice. Bought sweater on Muurivahe Steet which has one stall after another. Some people on board weren't going to visit this port but I think it is a must see.

Gdynia, Sopot, Gdansk:

Took Princess's Gdansk on you Own Trip for $19 and probably best buy on whole trip. Infomation states that buses are not air conditioned and no guiding but had both and guide was really great. City is teriffic and very interesting. Had ample time to stoll around and see most of city. There is vegetable/fruit/meat market near Hala Targowa that was bit away from center of town that was really neat. This was just a local market and not very touristy. Trip back through Sopot, a resort town, was also very interesting.

Warnemunde:

Decided not to take trip to Berlin. It is 2.5 to 3 hrs by train and rough trip so stayed in area and went to Rostock to see the cathedral and town sights. Lovely German town and only about 30 minutes by train from Warnemunde. Train ticket was day pass for 3 euros and also included trolley located in lower level of train station in Rostock that takes you into center of town - Train #5 or 6. Warnemunde is a seaside resort and also very fashionable and charming with nice shops and a very large beach. Turned out to be very nice and full day visiting both cities.

Helsingor:

Please note - there is a bit of misrepresentation on part of Princess regarding this port. You can only get off at this port if you are taking one of Pirncess's shore excursions.

Entertainment on ship was OK but have seen much better on other cruises. The comedian, Rodney Johnson was at the beginning of cruise and although a bit avant guarde was really funny. The production company's "Dance" show was best (toward end of cruise) and they had a teriffic caberat showtime with entertainer named Jon Courtenay. He plays piano, sings and does really funny comedy. Really great show.

Hope some of this info. helps and if you need any specifics please let me know and I will be happy to try and help. Happy cruising to all!!

Regards,

Cory

Thanks for the great information. It was especially helpful to hear you made the 8:07 train with no problem. How is the walk to the station.

How were the women dressed for the formal evenings? All dark clothes? Thanks again. Marlyne

Cory, thanks for the great review. Glad you had a great time, and good weather. I do have one question about the train from Stockholm back to Nynashamn. I understand to ride in one of the 1st two cars. My question is, how do you know which end is the front?

How much time did you spend at City Hall, and the Vasa museum. Also, are you suggesting to skip City Hall and to visit the palace instead? Can you explain why you think this might be time better spent? I know the schedule is tight in Stockholm, but did you have any spare time?

Thanks Cory, and thanks again for the great review. You did an awsome job, and I appreciate the time you took to write.

Steve

Dear M&T

Walk to station is easy and takes about 15 minutes. Just follow the signs and crowds. There is a small hill but no problem.

I wore my tux. The variety of dress for formal evenings for the ladies was from high fashion to plain & simple. People were appropriately dressed for all meals. It was very casual in the dining rooms and buffet but people dressed smartly.

I just made it on the train back to port and did have to stand but if you are a little early you should be able to find seats.

Dear Swdke,

Was happy to provide information and only following your lead in sharing information.

You can't miss front of train because it originates at Stockholm Central Station and rear of train buts the platform stop.

When we got in town, we wandered around a bit before deciding on going to the tour of City Hall which took approx. 45 min. Probably wasted about 40 minutes getting our bearings. After tour went to top of Tower for great view of city and then took bus from street in front of City Hall to Gamla Stan to catch ferry to Djurgardsstaden and then walked for about 15 minutes to the Vasa Museum. Spent 1.5 hrs at museum. Took ferry back to Gamla Stan and had great ice cream near main square before walking back to train station and boarding train. Really didn't have much time to just take in the city. When I passed the Royal Palace on Gamla Stan I realized that we would have spent time better viewing the Palace over City Hall. The tour at City Hall was very good and all the Princess groups went there before we went in. I guess it just depends on your priorities. Hope I'm not rambling too much.

Saylorgirl

Wasn't able to get off bus in Sopot but there is a tour that covers the 3 cities in Poland and it does let you go to the beach there but would take time away from Gdansk and for me, Gdansk was really wonderful.

Regards,

Cory

Cory:

Thanks for your practical information.

How frequent are the ferries to VASA? Don't the ferries get crowded with the large number of cruise pax? And does the small kiosk at Nynashamn has long lines from cruse pax to buy the day card? Thanks.

/Sultan

Cory:

Thanks for your practical information.

How frequent are the ferries to VASA? Don't the ferries get crowded with the large number of cruise pax? And does the small kiosk at Nynashamn has long lines from cruse pax to buy the day card? Thanks.

/Sultan

The ferries to the island where Vasa Museum is located run frequently, I think every 15 minutes. They were a bit crowded but didn't see too many people from cruise ships. There were mainly local or foreign visitors on board. Didn't have any problems getting on in either direction.

We were one of the first people off the ship and were about 3rd in line at the kiosk. Lot of people take the ships shore excursion so if you get off early you should have too long a line. There were 2 guys there taking money and issuing tickets. Went very smoothly.

Cory, where exactly do we need to go to take the ferry to the Vasa Museum. Will we be able to see the museum from where the ferry docks. Thanks Cory. Steve

You pick up the ferry in Gamla Stan near Slussen. There are 2 ferries here and the one you want goes to Djurgardsstaden. You can't miss it and you can ask the bus driver or people on the bus. Most people know where it is. You can't see the museum from Gamla Stan but you will be able to see it on the left when you are approaching Djurgardsstaden. It is a large grey/blue building near the shore. Their is an aquarium on you way to the museum. When you come off the ferry you will see an amusement park straight ahead. Go to the left and follow the road and it will take you to the museum. It really is wonderful!

Regards,

Cory

Cory thanks for all the info.

There has been some postings on tipping, and the opinions vary.

On the Princess 2 day tour to St. Pete's, do you know how much people tipped the driver and tour guide.

In the Princess planner, it suggests $1 for half day tour, and $2 for full day tour.

But from reading other posts, they tipped much much higher, but they were mainly on the RO, or Denrus tours.

Cory thanks for all the info.

There has been some postings on tipping, and the opinions vary.

On the Princess 2 day tour to St. Pete's, do you know how much people tipped the driver and tour guide.

In the Princess planner, it suggests $1 for half day tour, and $2 for full day tour.

But from reading other posts, they tipped much much higher, but they were mainly on the RO, or Denrus tours.

I agree with the guidelines but our guide was so teriffic that I gave $5 per person for me and my nephew. We took the two day tour of St. Petersburg.

Thanks SweetD.

I cannot find the posts that I had read, but made a note of them, and was surprised that the Princess Planner did not have high tips.

Smellywax posted "Everyone on the bus gave $40 a couple to the guide each day and $20 per couple to the driver each day."

Someone else posted that it should be 10% of the $329 for the two days.

Another person quoted $50 for guide and $20 for driver.

Thanks for your opinion.

We will take into account how good the guides are, and tip accordingly.

We are travelling on Star Princess on 13th August(Baltic Palaces itinerary) and would appreciate the notes prepared by cruisemom42 (cmkahn@bellsouth.net) Tried to E-mail her but don't think it connected.

We are unsure about doing our own thing in Stockholm, mainly due to the fact that the ship docks in Nynashamn and we are wary about taking the train and getting back in time. Have seen reports that it can take ages to get ashore on the tenders - being first-timers with Princess we will not have any Gold status or above which I believe gives priority as to when ones leaves the ship!

Have booked trips in St. Petersburg but plan to make our own way in other ports - unless the notes persuade us differently.

Did you have any trouble with getting items in the cabin? We have filled in the cruise personaliser for things like robes, choice of drinks, fruit etc but on some reviews we have noted that these things were not there at the start.

Look forward to reading your review.

Please e-mail us at harrad.2@tiscali.co.uk Many thanks

My post which was intended for Baltic Ports written by Cruisemom42 somehow found itself in your section and I have yet to find out how to rectify this situation!!

However, I have read your report on the Baltic cruise and you have given us some really interesting facts. We are taking this cruise on 13th August. As you can see from my post we have some queries regarding items listed as required on the cruise personaliser section. Can you enlighten us about these? Sorry to have inconvenienced you with the mail going to the wrong person. If you can give me any further info my e-mail is harrad.2@tiscali.co.uk. Thanks.

Dear Suron,

No problem on your post. The Cruise Personalizer is not real good. I didn't request robes and there weren't any but I did request fruit and they wasn't any either. Otherwise the Immegration Information went through without any problems and we got to our cabin very fast and without any problems. Enjoy your cruise.

Regards,

Cory

What a fanastic review, we are going on Sept 2nd and are soooooo ready to go now! Just one thing, I would love to get the dvd you mentioned but I have tried to go the web address that you have given, but it seems it doesn't exist, do you have another address or any other info about where I can get the dvd. Thanks so much

Val

What a fanastic review, we are going on Sept 2nd and are soooooo ready to go now! Just one thing, I would love to get the dvd you mentioned but I have tried to go the web address that you have given, but it seems it doesn't exist, do you have another address or any other info about where I can get the dvd. Thanks so much

Val

Hello Fusion, we too will be cruising The Baltic Sept 2nd;).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4140738#post4140738

Archived