Hotel Room Service Tipping

Scott Cyn

I'm going off-topic here, but since most of us use hotels on the way to our cruises, I figure I'm close enough.

We really like to use room service when we are in a hotel. These days, virtually every hotel adds a 15-17% upcharge to the tab. It's usually labeled something like "service charge" or "gratuity". I never know if I'm supposed to tip the server on top of that. Sometimes I will look at the charge slip and say to the server, "Oh, this already has a gratuity in it?" But I always feel like a cheapskate if I don't add something on.

I would really like some input from my fellow travelers so I can know if I'm sticking out like a sore thumb. Do you add a tip on top of the service charge? If so, how much?

Scott

NCL adds daily service charge but not an amount for room service. Not all passengers use room service and unlike other thing most people do tip for room service. I don't want to get into a general tipping discussion but with freestyle unless you tip eveyday you don't have the same waiters so a reasonable service charge makes sense to me....but reasonable people can disagree.

Archived