first time cruisers with 16year old son - help deciding.

Thegreywarden

We are about to book our first cruise with my 16 year old son for next year. Based Scotland. Not good with heat so planning on Fjord cruise. Looking at MSC Opera 29th June or Celebrity Infinity 4th July. Celebrity currently have drinks package offer thus reducing price difference. Looking at around 10 - 12 nights. Appreciate RCI probably has more for son's age group but price a consideration and no current offers. Anyone have any suggestions or experience to help inform our decision. Thanks.

Both lines have a teen program and neither line/ship noted for having a lot of the "whiz-bang" stuff that many of the teens to 20s group find so enrapturing. Based upon the timing the "availability" of kids his age to be on board during that timeframe should be about equal. So it appears that there is not an overwhelming advatange or disadvantange to either line or ship.

If that is true (I've been on several X cruises in various European itineraries with my teen DD, none on MSC so I am extroplating a bit based upon what I've "heard" about MSC) -- it really comes down to itinerary. Are there differences in the ports and/or the amount of time in the ports between the two choices? Availability of "stuff" your family will enjoy doing in those ports? That may be the best way to decide.

DD loved the X cruises we've taken -- she's fallen in love with the Hot Glass Shows and we cannot cruise on an X ship without the Corning studios :)

DD is a bit of a geek (by her own definition) -- loves the history in the ports (what she knew about Gustaf Adolphus in Stockholm last year purely astounded me!) and on board likes the live musicians (technically she is a band geek) and trivia games.

Oddly enough she generally finds one or two kindred spirits and they will blissfully spend all time on board together. Don't know what your son is like.

He is quite quiet, he does enjoy history and think he will also appreciate the fantastic scenery up in the fjords. Yes, his trivia knowledge always surprises me.

I got him involved in looking into the itinerary and he wanted to go see the 'midnight sun' so have booked with MSC today, they go up past Artic Circle to Leknes, fingers crossed the weather allows us to enjoy it. Sure the whole experience will be great regardless.

I am excited and look forward to looking through the forums for advice and tips for us newbies. Thanks and take care.:)

. . . I got him involved in looking into the itinerary and he wanted to go see the 'midnight sun' so have booked with MSC today, they go up past Artic Circle to Leknes, fingers crossed the weather allows us to enjoy it. . . . .

That certainly is cool - we've been in fairbanks just a few days after June 21st and that was very cool (although DH couldn't understand why he was so tired that trip -- poor farm kid that he was, his body wasn't letting him really go to sleep until it was "dark" and would be waking him up at "first light" :))

Hope you all have a great time!

Archived