Dawn: Italian Restaurant?

dongordon

How good is the Italian restaurant on the Dawn?

Is it worth making a reservation?

What are some of the special dishes they serve (appetizers, soups, entrees, desserts, etc.)?

Don

Don, we liked it--it doesn't have any real sort of "ambiance" seeing as it's part of the buffet in disguise. But the tables are by the windows (which is pretty, especially at sunset), the area is closed off from the rest (so it's quiet, and the servers are all spiffy looking. The pizza was--from this NY/NJ chick's point of view--blegh. But we had pasta with a hot red diavolo sauce that was WONDERFUL.

I think it's worth it to check it out. especially since it doesn't cost anything extra--check out the menu first, that's all. We were a bit limited as to what we could eat (BF is a vegie, I'm not a red meat eater) but the choices seemed to me to be pretty good for a regular (!) eater.

Have fun!

just got back from the dawn and ate at la tratorria- the food was delicious....i had an appetizer that was delicious but can't remember what it was and they also had buffalo mozzarella w/tomato or roasted pepper, a sliced raw meat appetizer(which my husband and i had delicious), ceasar salad, chicken broth soup, and i had a meat w/vegetable lasagna and my husband had the chicken parm over spaghetti. he raved about his dish. mine was delicious! and the tiramisu dessert was out of this world! enjoy! :)

just got back from the dawn and ate at la tratorria- the food was delicious....i had an appetizer that was delicious but can't remember what it was and they also had buffalo mozzarella w/tomato or roasted pepper, a sliced raw meat appetizer(which my husband and i had delicious), ceasar salad, chicken broth soup, and i had a meat w/vegetable lasagna and my husband had the chicken parm over spaghetti. he raved about his dish. mine was delicious! and the tiramisu dessert was out of this world! enjoy! :)

yum! yer gettin' me hungry now! :)

we ate once there and late at night- but on fri b4 the trip ended we tried to get reservations for fri and sat and both days were booked- also make reservations at salsas. they have awesome delicious appetizers called tapas. and they give u a variety of them and as many as u want. plus, the red sangria is really good too!!!!:)

We found La Trattoria on Dawn and enjoyable dining experience. We really liked the Fruit De Mare with your choice of pasta and the order your own personal pizza was delicious. My wife said the Zuppe Englaisa dessert was the best she had on the ship. Enjoy.

PS: We also loved Salsa.

How good is the Italian restaurant on the Dawn?

Is it worth making a reservation?

What are some of the special dishes they serve (appetizers, soups, entrees, desserts, etc.)?

Don

Don,

I would highly recommend La Trattoria. ... Make your reservations early. ... It was the best meal we had on the ship. And my two stepsons are Italian, and they would agree! We ate like kings. Everything from the appetizers to dinner to desert was excellent. The night we went was lobster night (you could get a lobster at any restaurant that night).

Rick

Don, On our 10 day cruise in Feb we (group of 3 couples) ate there the 1st night and loved it so much we went another night during our cruise. The made to order pasta was the best ... so many choices it's hard to decide, and the 2nd night we ordered a few extra pasta dishes to share...

We ate at Salsa's once and all loved that too. Be forewarned, some of the dishes were actually quite large, especially if you have a selection of tapas first ;) ... just ask the server.

When we were first on Dawn there was a limited menu in LaTrattoria. It has now been expanded. We decided to eat there the first night out on our trip in April. What a nice surprise, could not wait to go back. I could have eaten there every night till I tried all the new receipes. It is worth a try.:)

We were on board in November and April and Ernesto was the Matre d at La Trattoria. We had a wonderful experience there and went back several times. I would recommend trying to get a window seat and timing it for sunset as the view is awesome. It sets the mood and the food tops it off.

Uh OH!!!

We didn't like it:mad: Probably the only thing we didn't like on the Dawn.

I am not Italian but do, however, make my own sauce, pasta, etc.

We went in '04 because DH loves lasagna. We were disappointed with food and atmosphere.

We did not go back to La Tratorria in '05. May have improved?

I would suggest trying it at the beginning of your cruise so you can go back if you enjoy it.

Everyone else posted positive threads. So I suggest you try it:)

I am with Cosmopolitan. I was not impressed with La Trattoria. It was my least favorite restaurant on board. I just think I am spoiled with the great Italian restaurants we have in the NY Metropolitan area. The others in our party agreed with me also.

Archived