Booster seat on plane/excursions?

LibrarianBecky

(Reported from Carnival board)

We have just a bit more than two months before our cruise on Liberty! Very excited, and starting to make packing lists. My son, who will be seven years old, will be cruising with us. I have a question about his booster seat in his car, and I was hoping someone here could help.

We plan on flying into Orlando and renting a car on the Friday before our cruise, so we can attend the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party. Then, we'll be driving to Miami on Saturday morning. The law where I live requires my son to be in a booster seat until he is 8 years old or 4'9" tall. It does not appear to me that Florida has a booster seat law. However, I would not feel comfortable with my son riding in the back of a car without being in his seat. I don't think he would be comfortable either, since we have stressed the importance of being in his seat so many times.

If we bring his booster seat with us, can it just be checked at the airport like a stoller or should we put it in a piece of luggage? We'll use it in Florida and bring it on the ship with us. We'll be driving around when we are in Roatan (Victor Bodden) and plan on bringing it with us for that day. In Cozumel, we will just be taking a taxi to Chankkanaub. I've heard that seat belts are often not available in taxis in Mexico, so I"m not sure if we should bring it or not. We would also need to store it during the day, which is a bit of a pain. WHat do other families do in this situation?

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='LibrarianBecky'](Reported from Carnival board)

We have just a bit more than two months before our cruise on Liberty! Very excited, and starting to make packing lists. My son, who will be seven years old, will be cruising with us. I have a question about his booster seat in his car, and I was hoping someone here could help.

We plan on flying into Orlando and renting a car on the Friday before our cruise, so we can attend the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party. Then, we'll be driving to Miami on Saturday morning. The law where I live requires my son to be in a booster seat until he is 8 years old or 4'9" tall. It does not appear to me that Florida has a booster seat law. However, I would not feel comfortable with my son riding in the back of a car without being in his seat. I don't think he would be comfortable either, since we have stressed the importance of being in his seat so many times.

If we bring his booster seat with us, can it just be checked at the airport like a stoller or should we put it in a piece of luggage? We'll use it in Florida and bring it on the ship with us. We'll be driving around when we are in Roatan (Victor Bodden) and plan on bringing it with us for that day. In Cozumel, we will just be taking a taxi to Chankkanaub. I've heard that seat belts are often not available in taxis in Mexico, so I"m not sure if we should bring it or not. We would also need to store it during the day, which is a bit of a pain. WHat do other families do in this situation?

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]
You can't use a booster on the plane, but you can gate check it (though could cause damage-- they aren't gentle usually!!)

The ideal situation for you is the Bubblebum- its an inflatable booster seat that deflates for travel. I cannot wait until DS is old enough for this (he's only 3 now)- its going to make travel so much easier!! Its well rated for safety too

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Portable-Booster-Purple/dp/B003GQ0LQ8[/URL]

"Rated a "Best Bet" Booster by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Winner of many awards including The National Parenting Center Seal of Approval "

You'll need to check the airlines's website and see if the booster can be a carry on for the child. I have been able to count it as the larger carry on, with DS1 using his backpack as the smaller item allowed. This eliminates concerns about the seat being damaged. The Bumblebum mentioned above is another option for those in the US (it is not approved for use in Canada). A third option is to pack the booster in checked luggage, making sure it is well padded. I know people who have done this, but personally I wouldn't.
We also used Bodden tours in Roatan, I did ask for a vehicle with 3 point seatbelts for DS1 to use his booster and it was supplied as requested. The car seat and booster stayed in our driver's vehicle all day, as we had a provate tour. We didn't use a taxi in Cozumel, but I did check out the taxis and found several (but not all) which had three point seat belts. Just remember you cannot use a booster with a lap belt. For Cozumel, I would either ask the people at the desk to store the booster for you before you arrive or as part of your reservation. If they say no, then a big bag to keep it sand-free and store it under a tree or other cool place.
Enjoy the trip, we loved this itinerary ;)

Most airlines will let you put it in the overhead bin. I would personally not check it...you have no idea if they drop kicked it down there.

Bubble Bum is awesome too. Not sure if it is in Canada yet though.

[quote name='luvsviola'] Bubble Bum is awesome too. Not sure if it is in Canada yet though.[/QUOTE]

It isn't, although I know some Canadian CRST-Instructors believe it would pass our testing as long as it can't be punctured, which is one thing that makes our crash testing different than the US.
I didn't notice where the OP is from (posting from the iPad), but 8 yrs/ 4ft 9 in/ 80 lbs is the law in Ontario for booster use.

We once checked a full size car seat for my then 1 year old. It came out damaged, and it was difficult to get the airline to replace it - but they did - mostly because I put my foot down and threatened to call the news media. Since then my girls are now in backless boosters. We always carry them onto the plane with us. Put them under the seat in front of us, and we are good. Then we know where it's been and what has happened to it.

As far as the rest - we are doing the same itinerary in March. I'm interested to know what others do in a taxi to Chankanaab and also with Victor Bodden.

Archived