Seattle's Pike Place Market with rollator

rondelco

Some years ago we walked through Seattle’s Pike Place Market and remember the crowds and overall configuration rendering it a bit difficult to navigate. Still, we want to go back but now DW needs to use a walker/rollator.

The Market website’s Visitor FAQ page ( http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/pages/visitor-faq ) avers that: “Most buildings and shops are accessible to strollers and wheelchairs. … Elevator access to the Market is available from the waterfront, Western Ave and parking garage.”

So, though technically “accessible,” how truly do-able and practical is it to navigate with a rollator? I know subjective judgment is involved, but, for any of you who’ve done it with ambulation aids, is it worth the extra effort and/or discomfort?

Thanks

Some years ago we walked through Seattle’s Pike Place Market and remember the crowds and overall configuration rendering it a bit difficult to navigate. Still, we want to go back but now DW needs to use a walker/rollator.

The Market website’s Visitor FAQ page ( http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/pages/visitor-faq ) avers that: “Most buildings and shops are accessible to strollers and wheelchairs. … Elevator access to the Market is available from the waterfront, Western Ave and parking garage.”

So, though technically “accessible,” how truly do-able and practical is it to navigate with a rollator? I know subjective judgment is involved, but, for any of you who’ve done it with ambulation aids, is it worth the extra effort and/or discomfort?

Thanks

I leave my rollator at home and use my power chair. People less likely to "run over you" that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there last summer with my wheelchair , you won't have any problem. If you are spending any time there I highly recommend the Duck Tours and the Chihuly Glass and Garden http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/ Both are ADA and as I recall you can get to both from the same parking lot. Personally I don't care much for the Market except to say you have been there. Spend some time down on the waterfront . They have the new ferris wheel here and some cool shops. The aquarium is also very nice. Have fun !

Kelly

Archived