Carnival's Shark Ray Alley

Haley87

Hi, We are booking the Shark Ray Alley excursion through Carnival because we weren't brave enough to go through a private company in Belize. Up until a few weeks ago there was NO reviews on this excursion but now it has a 4 of 5 star rating with 3 5 stars and a 1 star (chronic complainer maybe, maybe didn't read details of excursion and now blames Carnival??).... Has anyone had any experience with this excursion and how much time you get in the water and how much time at beach.... Do you get to go to Caye Caulker with Carnival's excursion? Thanks in advance.

I believe the reviews are real people, I just wanted extra details that the reviews can't really answer. Thanks again.

Pardon me if I am mistaken , but we have been to Belize and done Shark Ray Alley with an independent, and we are booked on the Magic next March for Belize , and they do not offer Shark Ray Alley, only Snorkeling the Barrier reef which does not go to Caye Caulkner where Shark Ray Alley is..What ship are you on , and when ? Please show me a link to a Carnival cruise that offers it, as I would be interested since we had a bad experience with Coral Breeze. Royal Caribbean does not offer it either ?:confused:

Pardon me if I am mistaken , but we have been to Belize and done Shark Ray Alley with an independent, and we are booked on the Magic next March for Belize , and they do not offer Shark Ray Alley, only Snorkeling the Barrier reef which does not go to Caye Caulkner where Shark Ray Alley is..What ship are you on , and when ? Please show me a link to a Carnival cruise that offers it, as I would be interested since we had a bad experience with Coral Breeze. Royal Caribbean does not offer it either ?:confused:

We are on the Magic.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/509071

"Visit the edge of Belize's Barrier Reef for a shark and ray encounter before enjoying some time at a tropical island getaway.

Depart the pier for a 55 min. (approx.) scenic and fun boat ride to the charming tropical island of Caye Caulker. This historic little island, is located along the edge of Belize's Barrier Reef, the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere. Check out beautiful coral formations and marine life abound in these pristine tropical waters.

The shark (the docile nurse shark) and ray encounter takes place just a short distance from the island, on a shallow sandy area, adjacent to the Barrier Reef, where the water is calm and crystal clear. Choose to enter the water from the boat in small groups or just watch from the comfort of the boat." <---- from the excursion, it's a little more pricier than the independents but after reading more negatives on here (Cruise Critic), Funville, and Trip Advisor we have decided to stick with Carnival for an excursion if we choose to do one in Belize.

I must have not read the description correctly and missed the part where it does say it goes to Caye Caulker. <------ Guess I am just soooo stoked that I have 20 days left... lol Reading through info WAY to fast. lol

But, on another note to others questions still exist on how long are you at each and how was it all? Thanks.

Edited by Haley87

Have noticed that NCL is also offering the same tour with a swim with the sharks and a trip to Caye Caulker. The strange thing is that NCL offered it years ago but then removed it which made me start using Coral Breeze tours. Would not use Corlal Breeze tours as they now operate outside the tourism village, run a smaller open top boat and cancel tours about 1 week before your trip.

This is the first time in years that I have seen it get added back to their shore excursion list. I would do the tour as it is fun and Caye Caulker is wonderful to walk around. It is a shame that they don't tell you how long you have on that quaint island. From the tour description, it sounds like they are skipping the snorkeling bit and only let you get into the water to be with the rays/sharks. The water is about 4 to 5 feet. The tour used to take to the Coral Gardens where you also had a snorkeling portion of about 45 minutes. I guess they have decided to make cuts in what is offered.

Not too sure who they are using for the tour but it costs $109 which is the price that I used to pay a few years back with NCL. The only difference now is that it does not include a meal. Their are also no reviews which must mean that it has recently been added.

Below is the description from the NCL site.

Depart directly from the cruise pier on a comfortable motor vessel for a scenic approximately 50 minute boat ride to the charming tropical island of Caye Caulker. This historic little island is located along the edge of the Belize Barrier Reef, where the beautiful coral formations teaming with marine life, lay only a few hundred yards from the sandy beach. Your shark and ray encounter takes place on a shallow sand bar inside the reef. You’ll enter the water in small groups with your expert guide who will entice the gentle, friendly marine animals to come close for your personal encounter. While floating or standing on the bottom, let your hands slide along the smooth sides of the sharks and rays as they swim by in close proximity. You’ll be amazed how eager they are to visit you.

After your exciting encounter, board your waiting vessel for the short ride to the Barefoot Caribe Dock and Las Olas Restaurant, where you can purchase a local meal or snack along and various beverages. This rustic venue has several thatched roof structures along the edge of the Caribbean, where you can sit and relax in a swinging chair or hang out in a hammock, enjoying the refreshing sea breeze. You can also explore the small island of Caye Caulker, home to a quaint fishing village and very friendly locals. Buy locally produced gift items from vendors along the unpaved "front street" or try something different – you can hand feed Tarpons. These large fish love to grab a sardine right out of your hand, as you stand or kneel on the dock. On your return to the pier on the boat your attentive crew will serve you complementary rum punch (for those 21 years and older) or plain fruit punch while you listen to rhythmic Caribbean vibes. This fun and exciting day in paradise will be long remembered.

Edited by thescot123

Couple of photos of the water @ Caulkner.

SANY2384.jpg

screen shot download

SANY2386.jpg

image hosting site

Thank you for the pictures, the water is just beautiful!! I pulled that link from the Carnival website, I wasn't signed in to my cruise manager or anything just went to Carnival.com and went to Cruising 101 tab and went to the excursions. That's really strange it's not showing up for you. That is the price we saw too for that company too but after reading so many negatives we decided not to chance it, since we had 2 children who would be crushed. If it were us adults we could get over it but to kids it means everything lol.

Edited by Haley87

I may call Carnival and ask about it, although $104 per adult is a little steep. If you are brave you can take the water taxi to Caulkner for $20 PP roundtrip, and hire a snorkel boat there, as Shark Ray Alley is 4 minutes from the island. A lot of people go on their own like this. We may try it next time. I talked to locals who ride the water taxi all the time with no problem. I guess a lot of cruisers worry though about missing their ship.

I'm glad to see this thread... We are going on carnival magic match 30th 2014 and this is the excursion we're planning for Belize. Personally, I'd rather pay the larger fee than go on our own... The pics you shared are gorgeous, thanks!! Which week are you going in March?

We are going March 16 th. We haven't decided yet what to do in Belize this time. We may just take the tender to Belize and hang out there a bit.

I'm glad to see this thread... We are going on carnival magic match 30th 2014 and this is the excursion we're planning for Belize. Personally, I'd rather pay the larger fee than go on our own... The pics you shared are gorgeous, thanks!! Which week are you going in March?

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I promised my kids the shark/ray tour in Belize but it is sold out through Carnival, any recommendations on what company to hire? I was about to reserve with Coral Breeze until I read the bad reviews here.

Please help!!

Hi everyone,

I promised my kids the shark/ray tour in Belize but it is sold out through Carnival, any recommendations on what company to hire? I was about to reserve with Coral Breeze until I read the bad reviews here.

Please help!!

Sea sport Belize or we have a private reserved with Ivar Marchand for our May cruise.