A Question For All You 'Regulars'...

MGO1960

I am on my first ever cruise, anywhere, on MSC Lirica next week. Having seen the (mainly) positive reviews, I am really looking forward to the trip, albeit with a little trepidation as I am on my own.

What I'd like to know from those of you that are regulars, is if there are any activities or the like that you would consider a "MUST DO" to complete the experience? It could be anything from trying a certain dish in the restaurant, a certain type of cocktail they mix, whatever - i am really interested to see your opinions.

Thanks for any replies,

Martin

Hello, Martin

I would hesitate to refer to anything on a cruise as "must do", because one of the pleasure of cruising is doing nothing more than exactly what it is you want to do, even if that includes doing nothing icon12.gif

However, since you asked! In the culinary department, I would recommend you try the risotto in the dining room.icon14.gif It is some of the best I have ever had, and they offer a different one nearly every night. Yum! All the seafood dishes were wonderful, except the lobster and swordfish which we all found to be too dry. If you like wine with your dinner, the wine package is a good value for decent wines, and bottled water.

If you enjoy excersizing, using the cardio machines in the gym as the ship makes her way over the sea is a wonderful experience, as you are surrounded by full-length windows. This was one my most enjoyable experiences on board, pounding away on the treadmill or bike, listening to my favorite music on my iPod while the eternally beautiful sea is all around you. This was after I did my mile around the open deck first thing in the morning.

The sauna is a good way to relax, as is the "relaxing room" next to the gym. A good place for a quick nap.

If you enjoy reading, the open and isolated quiet decks aft on decks seven, eight, and nine are perfect for that. It it's too cold out, the almost-always-almost-deserted Blue Club is a nice place to relax in peace with a book, cards, or a board game.

I entered almost all the sport tournements on deck. A great way to meet people, and all in good fun. Times and locations are published in the daily paper.

As for cocktails, well, I'll leave you the pleasure of finding this out on your own!icon10.gif

Have fun!!! And come back here when you get home to let us know all the details!

kj

Hi Martin

Have a great cruise and do not be concerened. Even tough you are solo it should not be long before you are in the thick of things.

Agree with Kyle on almost everything (except our lobster was great - different chef different meal :-) and I never tried the swordfish!)

Our barman made wicked Margaritas and the list of Martinis was incredible!

Would have to be a round the world cruise to work you way through that little list!!

Kyle - Great to have you back reporting was wondering how things were with you.

Hi again folks

Thanks for the replies - I'm looking forward to this trip all the more now! I've seen the wine deal mentioned once or twice before, and it certainly looks like a good idea, about 90 Euros isn't it? Watch out for the reports when I get back (or looking at Czechmate's comments should that be after I've dried out!!:D )

Martin

Kyle - Great to have you back reporting was wondering how things were with you.

Thank you! I wasn't aware I was missed! *blushing*

I will have photos of the cruise/crossing downloaded soon, maybe.

I was extremely impressed with MSC and my 17 nights on Lirica. Everyone had a wonderful time.

I had a further 3 1/2 weeks touring around after the cruise.

Kyle

I have a chance to cruise on MSC at severely discounted prices but I am afraid. In a nutshell I am a very picky person with food. Mainly due to the fact that I do not eat red meat or pork.. not by choice it makes me physically ill. I can eat stuff such as gravies without issue but not the meat itself. I eat white meat chicken and just about any seafood except tuna and salmon.

Will I go hungry or do they have stuff each night to eat. I know for example that Princess has chicken breast and caesar salad available each night. Does MSC? Also I dont want to eat that for 7-10 nights. That would be very old.

Yo Kyle-

Was kinda looking forward to a review from you - or did I just miss it?

Mike

Hi Mike

I didn't do one...I'm not much of a writer :rolleyes:

I was in Europe for nearly a month after the ship, so over those weeks I just never gave it a thought, to be honest.

Thanks for the thought though!

Kyle

I have a chance to cruise on MSC at severely discounted prices but I am afraid. In a nutshell I am a very picky person with food. Mainly due to the fact that I do not eat red meat or pork.. not by choice it makes me physically ill. I can eat stuff such as gravies without issue but not the meat itself. I eat white meat chicken and just about any seafood except tuna and salmon.

Will I go hungry or do they have stuff each night to eat. I know for example that Princess has chicken breast and caesar salad available each night. Does MSC? Also I dont want to eat that for 7-10 nights. That would be very old.

Hello

No need to go hungry!

There is chicken breast available every night, even if it is not listed with the entres. There is a fish entre every night, which were all wonderful, but I found the swordfish and lobster a bit dry. Additionally there are vegetarian offers. The risotto is a must!

Bon Apetit!

kj

Yo-

My wife suffers from Cilliac Disease (sp) aka Gluton Intollerance - so she needs a very special diet - she just let MSC know of her needs in advance - and were we taken care of on the ship - WOW!!!

So let them know - and they excell in doing special meals-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

The wine package was 99 euro last week on Sinfonia. I did not opt for it because you were forced to take their wines and the package had 3 whites, 3 reds, and a rose. I drink reds and they would not subsitute.

They have a delightful house wine by the the litre or half litre and this was my choice most evenings.

The risottos are outstanding! I also found the vegetables to be quite wonderful.

The octopus salad appetizer was delicious and all the breads were wonderful.

Archived