What size is your ULU knife?

cruisy

The ULU Factory makes three sizes of knives: approx. 5", 6", and 7" with matching bowls being about an inch and a half larger for each set. What size is your set, and would you have wanted it larger or smaller? I think it's hard to know what size I'd be happy with, without having used one. Perhaps someone can advise?

the one I bought is 6" - and no I don't think I'd want bigger or smaller but I guess it depends on what you're using it for, this one is perfect for the kitchen. Not all knives come with the cutting bowl, but it certainly is an asset.

According to The Ulu Factory catalogue, I guess mine is the Large Inuapiat Alaska Cutlery ulu, stock #7BBA. The prices were cheaper at the store than the catalogue, but the catalogue must have shipping built in... still higher in my opinion. I do love this set, just the right size! I like the size of the handle on mine.

If you're going to Alaska, hold one in your hand to see what fits you personally. That's the best way to know which one is your particular favorite. Tongass Trading in Ketchikan has an ad in the embarkation advertisement/coupon book for $25 the set. I didn't find a coupon, so it must just be their advertised price. I believe it is the same set I have, same size, same company.

I bought my ulu knives and bowl sets for $34.99 each in Ketchikan. at the North to Pacific. I purchased a knife with a bowl, but this bowl was a little longer than the others so u could slice things on the board. I bought the 6 inch inuapiat style. Remember, you cannot take these knives on a plane!!!! They also were the cheapest for shipping. I bought them on June 29, and when I arrived home today, there were already here.

I'm not gonna knock the cheaper ones...but please be aware that these are 'made in China',etc. and not in Alaska. Also, the chopping bowl is quite shallow compared to the chopping bowls of made in Alaska sets. Just depends on how you plan to use it, and how much. Almost all the sets are mass-produced, whether they are Alaskan made or not. Galligaskins (and maybe other stores) carry unique bowls made by a craftsman in the Alaska wilderness. Fairly expensive, but also different from the mass-produced, especially if you choose to go with a one-of-a-kind bone/antler/jade etc. handled ulu.

We bought the large (6") knife with the bowl from the Ulu Factory in Anchorage. I wouldn't want anything smaller. I also would not buy it without the bowl. We bought several and had them shipped rather than trying to check them on the plane. It cost less than buying them online with free shipping.

Archived