Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Stumblefoot, I'm envious of your energy!
Is this trip prior to your Silver Spirit cruise? If you're eating in the MDR on Spirit, ask to see if Rommel is still a server on board and try to be seated on his section. He's the best of the best, but if you're a late diner as we are, it can be difficult to get a table with him as a lot of guests ask for his section. He'll remember you and address you by name after just one meeting.

Have a wonderful time in London and York. I believe, but this may be erroneous, that 50% of the stained glass in England is actually located in York Minster. Whether it's true or not I don't care, the Minster is amazing. I lived close to York for several years of my very mispent youth, so I do have a soft spot for the city.
ps, I have never seen the Ceremony of the Keys :o

[quote name='Ravenscroft']Jeff that's awful of your guests. I don't understand people who don't realise that manners are equally important for guests as hosts.
Glad that you're being kind to Mrs Jeff to help make it up to her. The tandoori tikka sounds right up my street.
We're drinking the last offering from Laithwaites this evening, Lux was right, the selection they sent was rather poor.[/QUOTE]

Thats so kind ...thanks ... yes .. she tells me today that when I got up to go to the kitchen, they both switched on and started using their phones without a word, one going off and wandering around our other rooms whilst chatting and both of them ignoring her sitting at the table completely by herself whilst I was cooking And it transpires that they left their own car at the car park at the "other end" so her not drinking for them was no benefit to them at all. She had a rotten day needlessly. Anyway, today she has decided she is more content when there is just us two at lunch. grrrrr. :mad: She is so lovely, you'd like her,. :)

I remember when Tony Laithwaite started .. it was originally the Sunday Times Wine Club if I remember accurately. It started off really well, but I think scaling up is difficult to make work with a wine club. You start of buying small quantities carefully and end up buying anything that feeds the machine.

It is peculiar how one starts buying things pre-made from supermarkets you'd never think you'd ever not make yourself. We're now buying mash potato when we wouldn't have dreamed of a few years ago,

Do you find yourself impressed with what you can buy?

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Hi there,

We had some people here for lunch yesterday and it was lovely to see old friends and keep up to date .... and I cooked them a really good lunch with loads of champers. But they completely ignored my wife who is pretty upset. You know what it's like when people come ... she spent days tidying the house ... I spent loads of time preparing food and making bread etc. She even didn't drink so that she could do a station taxi service so they could drink and not a word of thanks ... people can be thoughtless ..... :mad:

Totally unforgivable and downright rude in your home. Kudos to Mrs Jeff for her graciousness...l would have told them to go forth et al.....and made them walk to the station!

S :)

[quote name='Ravenscroft']:D
Sophia I could tell you were a girl after my own heart, I just knew you'd be led astray in That London.

Seriously, glad you had a wonderful time.
Oh, and it's so cold and rainy here on the red rose side of the Pennines that I've had to switch on the heating :eek:[/QUOTE]

:D I was actually very good for a change....l would normally buy a pair in every colour!! :rolleyes:

I did enjoy, thank you, heating still on here also!

S:)

Thank you UKCruiseJeff and specialcruisegirl for your responses! I appreciate your inquisitive helpfulness. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I also admire your stamina for this trip and well done..l say! Three nights in London and l am totally wiped out for a week after!!

My apologies for misleading you about the East Coast timings....the train l came home on this last Tuesday did indeed take two and a half hours to reach York but l do know that there are faster services with less stops.

Oblix imho was not what l would call fine dining which is why l wouldn't rush to return. The food as l have said was very good. The restaurant tends to be extremely noisy and l was amazed at how many young children were there, including little one's.....not that l am in any way against that at all but it does tend to take the shine off the place when they start screaming! :eek:

As you wish to be close to the Tower l would have a look at St Katharine Docks, their website is full of information regarding dining venues....http://www.skdocks.co.uk

Just a little further on is a very nice restaurant in the City called 1 Lombard, situated on Lombard Street!

Rules in Covent Garden is the oldest restaurant in London and one that l have always enjoyed...since 1971!! They are open all day and serve typically English Fayre like steak and kidney puds and rice pudding....amongst other various offerings....their website will show menus.

I also like The Ivy....famous in times past for celebrity spotting, but not so much now since they opened the exclusive Ivy Club.....but still good food and they too are open all day.

York is a beautiful city and l am sure you will enjoy the history and have a wonderful guided tour... the museums are well worth a visit.

Sophia :)

Stumblefoot, I'm envious of your energy!

Is this trip prior to your Silver Spirit cruise? If you're eating in the MDR on Spirit, ask to see if Rommel is still a server on board and try to be seated on his section. He's the best of the best, but if you're a late diner as we are, it can be difficult to get a table with him as a lot of guests ask for his section. He'll remember you and address you by name after just one meeting.

Have a wonderful time in London and York. I believe, but this may be erroneous, that 50% of the stained glass in England is actually located in York Minster. Whether it's true or not I don't care, the Minster is amazing. I lived close to York for several years of my very mispent youth, so I do have a soft spot for the city.

ps, I have never seen the Ceremony of the Keys :o

Ravenscroft,

This is indeed a portion of our trip prior to the Cruise. After the quickie London stopover, we're headed to Santorini for a 5-day stay and then onward to Athens for a couple more days of touring before boarding the Spirit.

Thank you for the lovely recommendation of Rommel. We'll be sure to seek him out if onboard. And, I can hardly wait to spend a day in York. The Minster sounds exquisite. Hopefully, we'll be blessed with a sunny day.

Lastly, a quick story on the Ceremony of the Keys. We were booked to experience this last year and our not so capable Travel Agent sent our tickets to another of his Clients. Or, at least that is what he told me. Anyway, he's assured us this year he has our tickets. We're just awaiting the final itinerary and tickets from him at this point. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your response!

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oblix imho was not what l would call fine dining...

As you wish to be close to the Tower l would have a look at St Katharine Docks...

Just a little further on is a very nice restaurant in the City called 1 Lombard, situated on Lombard Street!

Rules in Covent Garden is the oldest restaurant in London and one that l have always enjoyed...since 1971!!

Thank you for the additional context about Oblix specialcruisegirl. St. Katharine Docks looks like a fun spot with lots of choices. And, 1776 at Lombard looks right up our alley. As a Yank, it sure is easy to fall in love with that particular year. ;o)

Speaking of Rules, we absolutely had a fantastic time there last year. Special friends flew over from Chicago to join us and we practically closed the place down. There's nothing quite like an evening spent with an incredible wait staff and good friends laughing and having a time of our lives.

Thanks again!

Hi,

You do clearly "know" what you are doing ... but I - like perhaps one or two others here were brought up and spent most of our lives living in central London .. and may I gently suggest in a spirit of helpfulness to you that you rethink through your York day and play out your timings a bit more closely and how it really knits into what you clearly think is a worthwhile day in York followed by a top-notch evening meal before you arrive in really good time for The Tower.

As you know, you need to be at The Tower safely for 21:30 when you are collected and taken through, and the whole thing is over within 10 minutes. It's a lot of work for 10 minutes. The whole script is 30 seconds.

But if it's worthwhile to you - to get from Kings Cross mainline platform when the train docks, - assuming that is that it's "on time" ... and to your restaurant and being seated at a table you're going to need to allow an hour-ish. To ensure you don't miss your ceremony yet again you need to plan to be there shortly after 21:00ish. What type of meal do you think it is going to be with an hour'ish at the table including entry, seating, eating, paying and leaving .. and arriving roughly at athe Tower?

I am genuinely trying to be helpful .. even though I can see that you clearly do not think you need it ....... but you have a day with lot's of variables that all need to go very right.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipaditis

What is everyone eating and drinking today .... and who with?

:)

hello Jeff.

You asked about Laithwaites. Unfortunately my taste in wine runs to the expensive, specifically the whites of the Cote de Beaune :eek:

Equally unfortunately, at this stage in our fiscal lives, if I wish to go on regular Seabourn cruises, I can't indulge my love for white Burgundy as frequently as I want to.

I ventured to Laithwaites in the hope of finding something, some great hidden secret white wine that I would fall in love with, and that costs around £15 a bottle. Well needless to say, I haven't found it. I can drink cheaper reds, but a good white wine under £20 a bottle eludes me. I lived in futile hope.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying "Laithwaites did not work for us".:D

Food today has been very American! I had a tuna melt sandwich for lunch, skipped breakfast because I'm gaining weight currently :mad:

I'm not sure what will be for supper but I'll try to report back after I've eaten it.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Ravenscroft,

This is indeed a portion of our trip prior to the Cruise. After the quickie London stopover, we're headed to Santorini for a 5-day stay and then onward to Athens for a couple more days of touring before boarding the Spirit.

Thank you for the lovely recommendation of Rommel. We'll be sure to seek him out if onboard. And, I can hardly wait to spend a day in York. The Minster sounds exquisite. Hopefully, we'll be blessed with a sunny day.

Lastly, a quick story on the Ceremony of the Keys. We were booked to experience this last year and our not so capable Travel Agent sent our tickets to another of his Clients. Or, at least that is what he told me. Anyway, he's assured us this year he has our tickets. We're just awaiting the final itinerary and tickets from him at this point. Fingers crossed!

Rommel is a superstar. He's been on Spirit each time we've been on, so I do hope he's onboard for you.

:eek: your Ceremony of the Keys story. I hadn't realised that it has to be booked so far in advance. I'll also keep fingers crossed until you have the tickets in your hands!

Rommel is a superstar. He's been on Spirit each time we've been on, so I do hope he's onboard for you.

:eek: your Ceremony of the Keys story. I hadn't realised that it has to be booked so far in advance. I'll also keep fingers crossed until you have the tickets in your hands!

I have tickets for some friends who are over in the UK in August from Australia

You have to give them two dates that you are ok with and a stamped addressed envelope.

I am not sure if it might be a bit of a task to get tickets if you do not reside in the UK.

Le Pont looks very good. From the a la carte I'd be having the tian of crab to start, and either the Dover sole or the guinea fowl.

Yes and me, crab and Dover sole washed down with a very good bottle of

Puligny Montrachet Domaine Leflaive 'Les Pucelles' 2008

They have a great wine list at Le Pont

Billcart Salmon Rose Champagne is also great.

I think I will take our friends when we do the keys in August

I have tickets for some friends who are over in the UK in August from Australia

You have to give them two dates that you are ok with and a stamped addressed envelope.

I am not sure if it might be a bit of a task to get tickets if you do not reside in the UK.

I've only been to the Tower once, on a school trip in 1972, when the country was having those power cuts. I'm sure the electricity went off when we were in the Crown Jewels exhibition. I seem to remember us being ushered out of there very quickly, although I do feel that they ought to have had a back up generator!

Anyway, to the point, I had no idea how difficult it is to get tickets for the key ceremony. If Stumblefoot hadn't posted about this, I'd have turned up at the front door on my next trip to London, expecting to just get in.

Yes and me, crab and Dover sole washed down with a very good bottle of

Puligny Montrachet Domaine Leflaive 'Les Pucelles' 2008

Excellent choice of wine sir!

I'm looking forward to having lunch at Le Montrachet in September. Hopefully it will be a sunny day and we'll lunch on their beautiful terrace. As usual we'll give the Sommelier an indication of our wine budget for the meal and allow him (it was a her last time, actually) to recommend a bottle.

scabby hill, gorgeous wine :D

I've only been to the Tower once, on a school trip in 1972, when the country was having those power cuts. I'm sure the electricity went off when we were in the Crown Jewels exhibition. I seem to remember us being ushered out of there very quickly, although I do feel that they ought to have had a back up generator!

Anyway, to the point, I had no idea how difficult it is to get tickets for the key ceremony. If Stumblefoot hadn't posted about this, I'd have turned up at the front door on my next trip to London, expecting to just get in.

Halt! Who goes there?

Excellent choice of wine sir!

I'm looking forward to having lunch at Le Montrachet in September. Hopefully it will be a sunny day and we'll lunch on their beautiful terrace. As usual we'll give the Sommelier an indication of our wine budget for the meal and allow him (it was a her last time, actually) to recommend a bottle.

scabby hill, gorgeous wine :D

I always have Escargot when at Le Montrachet.

Can you believe it they only have French restaurant staff not a Filipino in sight

We'll I suppose they need to make sure they keep their Michelin Star.

The keys starts after it is closed, so there is never a danger of you seeing this by accident.

They do actually lock you (them) in at night and you (they) cannot leave until reverse keys in the morning and this includes guests that stay over or any DJ's invited to play records at a private party .....

I always have Escargot when at Le Montrachet.

Can you believe it they only have French restaurant staff not a Filipino in sight

We'll I suppose they need to make sure they keep their Michelin Star.

Have you tried Lameloise, did you like it? We haven't been there yet, as you know in that area of France there's a sizeable To Do list for the Michelin places. I'm sure they don't have Filipino staff at Lameloise, nor at Bernard Loiseau.

Puligny-Montrachet has been quite ruined since they messed about digging up the village square and putting in some fountain things. They hadn't finished the work last time we were there, so we'll be interested to see it completed.

The keys starts after it is closed, so there is never a danger of you seeing this by accident.

They do actually lock you (them) in at night and you (they) cannot leave until reverse keys in the morning and this includes guests that stay over or any DJ's invited to play records at a private party .....

Jeff this is more of your colourful past, isn't it? :) Do tell us more.

I did know that the ceremony starts after it closes, but on my next trip to London I'd have probably toddled along around 9pm expecting to just get a ticket and be let in, there and then :o