Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Just to fill in why I mention Topcashback.

Making big Avios balances is all about opportunism. Without this approach we wouldn't travel as much in the cabins and routes we do. It's worthwile.

Sometimes the Miles Gods set all the railway points to go. So if for example you keep your eyes out on Robs site and you see a 1000 Tesco voucher for say £100 worth of wine purchase. And you find a perfectly acceptable wine (like my house Rioja) that is normally (nominally) £12 per bottle but has a 50% reduction per 6 bottle case ... and then as a few weeks ago a further 25%. That means 36 bottles supposedly worth £432 being sold for £108 a supposed saving of £324. Then if you buy via Topcashback imagine it is currently 5% so that is £5. Then you have the 1000 point Tesco voucher, that is now £15.

If you post the TCB £5 back to Tesco to join your £10 and then send that to BA it becomes worth 3600 miles. If you value your miles at 3p then you have acquired £432 for £108 but then gained £108 in BA miles. So you have acquired £432 wine for free and helped (in my case) get you a chunk towards your F redemption. I think I have that right. Then there's two accounts. Get some white if you must ...

As it happens my miles may be worth to me say a minimum of 3p but I believe on average cost me around 10% of that ie £0.003 .... dwell on that for a while when thinking about F LH redemptions ... I am effectively acquiring my F LH at 10% of the value I place on it and possibly just afew percent of the full published purchasable price ........;) Redemptions are pretty much fully flexible tickets.

Today we have been eating 30 day dry aged rib eye .....

DB4C9F18-9DAB-4398-9F99-B65886A48313_zpsrceuy6vx.jpg

FCD6DFE6-EF7B-4D02-B09B-4B7071A683B3_zps1poiajtb.jpg

Jeff, that's really helpful. That's exactly what I want to learn to do, be better when it comes to opportunism and building that Avios balance.

The reason the companion tickets are going unused is that we're just not advance planners, mainly due to business commitments. We usually decide about a month in advance that we want a holiday, and by that time, as you know, there's not much availibility for using a companion ticket unless one wants to go to Timbuctoo for a month ;)

We did use redemption points for our recent MAN-HKG SIN-MAN flights in CW for the Sojourn cruise. I don't think we'd have gone on that cruise if we'd been paying in full for the flights, because I have yet to find a way to buy two business class one way tickets without the need to remortgage. This is a big hurdle for flying to join a cruise as it often involves flying into and out of two different cities.

Of course, if I was prepared to travel longhaul in economy it would make a huge difference, but I'm not and it's not negotiable!

We've registered on TCB and I've set aside one morning each week to read up on all of this to try to get the most of out it.

What I've realised over the past few days is that we need to find a way to plan ahead more, and that I need to learn how to maximise accruing points too. Ideally I'd like to be taking 3 or 4 longhaul holidays a year, currently we're managing 2, in addition to our short breaks that we take for which I don't need to use Avios.

How did you make the sauce with your steak?

Great explanation Jeff, in my case it's not going to be worth it.

I use MAN for the short hail European....depending on airline!

For my forthcoming trip l was hoping to use my few Virgin air miles with money for UC return, the return being direct into MAN from BGI....nothing available but l could buy the ticket for £4600....not worth it as the UC service is very hit and miss IMHO, especially the MAN routes.

If l opted to fly back into LGW then the fare dropped to £2500.

BA came in at £1800 return in CW and £2900 for F, so a no brainer for me, even though it's London return....l can work around that!

Doubt I'll be doing more than two long haul a year if that...at my age:rolleyes:

S:)

Hi Sophia, that's a big difference in fares isn't it? Definitely worth the hike to London (and more Prada shoes is a possibility!).

I can just about tolerate some of the low cost airlines. EasyJet in particular has improved over the last couple of years. Won't go on Ryanair ever. Have heard good reports about Jet2. Been to Paris a couple of times on FlyBe but their planes scare me, so we stick to Air France!

Jeff, that's really helpful. That's exactly what I want to learn to do, be better when it comes to opportunism and building that Avios balance.

The reason the companion tickets are going unused is that we're just not advance planners, mainly due to business commitments. We usually decide about a month in advance that we want a holiday, and by that time, as you know, there's not much availibility for using a companion ticket unless one wants to go to Timbuctoo for a month ;)

We did use redemption points for our recent MAN-HKG SIN-MAN flights in CW for the Sojourn cruise. I don't think we'd have gone on that cruise if we'd been paying in full for the flights, because I have yet to find a way to buy two business class one way tickets without the need to remortgage. This is a big hurdle for flying to join a cruise as it often involves flying into and out of two different cities.

Of course, if I was prepared to travel longhaul in economy it would make a huge difference, but I'm not and it's not negotiable!

We've registered on TCB and I've set aside one morning each week to read up on all of this to try to get the most of out it.

What I've realised over the past few days is that we need to find a way to plan ahead more, and that I need to learn how to maximise accruing points too. Ideally I'd like to be taking 3 or 4 longhaul holidays a year, currently we're managing 2, in addition to our short breaks that we take for which I don't need to use Avios.

How did you make the sauce with your steak?

Just a couple of points.

The time I have spent learning about all this has now been many years and it has been one of the most worthwhile things. Largely because it has provided us with so much travel. The airline stuff is only a part of it. Obviously the hotel schemes etc are an equal part.

Also don't overlook the usefulness of the Eurosavers particularly if you are a person that changes plans. The cost of fully flexible tickets in Europe is rediculous but redemption is really easilly available and fully flexible with a small charge for changes and cancellations. This makes a difference.

So what I'm saying is see this as a long term project with considerable long-term benefits. Be patient.

I also buy miles when they are on offer. Recently Avios (Airmiles not BA) made an offer by mistake which we all pounced on and bought them at heavy discount. You can transfer each way between BA and Avios and Avios have other airlines some of which they subsidise heavilly. Open and SPG account and keep your eye out for purchase options.

I mentioned a while ago that out of my last years use of around 700,000 BA miles I reckon half or so were returned by BA in service recovery. So I actually only used 350,000 or so. But with using the 241s it was effectively for around 1.4 mil. miles ish.

I just wanted to encourage you to get started and see it through. Be patient and see it long term. People spend a lot of time working out how to earn cash etc but so little spending it more wisely.

No sauce, she likes tinned tomatos ......

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

...... ps .... I hope when you registered for TCB you referred the second membership to get your first £5 worth of points in each account ....;)

You may also want to have a quick look at AwardWallet. It means that you can keep track of all your accounts including hotels, Amex, BA, Tesco, TCB etc in one place. So just one logon each day brings up everything that has changed overnight so you can transfer stuff around etc.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Sophia, that's a big difference in fares isn't it? Definitely worth the hike to London (and more Prada shoes is a possibility!).

I can just about tolerate some of the low cost airlines. EasyJet in particular has improved over the last couple of years. Won't go on Ryanair ever. Have heard good reports about Jet2. Been to Paris a couple of times on FlyBe but their planes scare me, so we stick to Air France!

Hi :)

It is a big difference and the hike to London isn't too bad, just 90 minutes into KC which is actually a lot easier for me than having to drive over to Manchester!

I'm sending my luggage on this time so will only be travelling light...famous last words!!

I just can't tolerate most of the low cost carriers at all, l hate them with a passion! :rolleyes:

I will fly with Monarch and if l can't get a direct with them l fly BA using the shuttle from MAN to connect most of the time.

Sophia:)

That's great. Too many people presume it's for them without doing the obvious ... the calculation! This has saved you trouble.

;)

To a certain degree with me it's laziness and although it may not work for me l still find it all very interesting reading....one never stops learning!

S :)

Yes, I think it's worth it for us. We do a fair amount of travelling but I want to do more and I want to pay less for it if possible!

I agree it's good to try an get an understanding of the rewards minefield.

Jeff is a real help on this subject.

I think you can only be on top of this if you have lots of spare time.

It's a retirement project me thinks.:)

You need no spare time at all once you understand the basic principles and know where to read to be updated on the current opportunties. Today much of this is done for you by others. This is a double edge sword. Less opportunities of providers making errors undiscovered (before they are discovered) but also much less work for us. I now just check Rob and my Award Wallet every morning. Amex have now discontinued card churning in North America, and may do so here soon, and as my Amex Plat gives me a free BA Prem Plus card it makes no sense to churn that.

By coincidence, one of today's articles by Rob is calculating Avios value which we were discussing here yesterday.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Just a couple of points.

The time I have spent learning about all this has now been many years and it has been one of the most worthwhile things. Largely because it has provided us with so much travel. The airline stuff is only a part of it. Obviously the hotel schemes etc are an equal part.

Also don't overlook the usefulness of the Eurosavers particularly if you are a person that changes plans. The cost of fully flexible tickets in Europe is rediculous but redemption is really easilly available and fully flexible with a small charge for changes and cancellations. This makes a difference.

So what I'm saying is see this as a long term project with considerable long-term benefits. Be patient.

I also buy miles when they are on offer. Recently Avios (Airmiles not BA) made an offer by mistake which we all pounced on and bought them at heavy discount. You can transfer each way between BA and Avios and Avios have other airlines some of which they subsidise heavilly. Open and SPG account and keep your eye out for purchase options.

I mentioned a while ago that out of my last years use of around 700,000 BA miles I reckon half or so were returned by BA in service recovery. So I actually only used 350,000 or so. But with using the 241s it was effectively for around 1.4 mil. miles ish.

I just wanted to encourage you to get started and see it through. Be patient and see it long term. People spend a lot of time working out how to earn cash etc but so little spending it more wisely.

No sauce, she likes tinned tomatos ......

Ahh, patience. Something with which I'm not gifted! But I'll treat it as an ongoing personal development experience.

Misunderstood about the sauce, I thought I spied a little sauce "Diane" on the plate, but I see now it's the mushrooms giving up a little of their moisture.

Today's looks good. Channeling Singapore? :D

If we keep spending money on holidays the way we have been the last 5 years, we won't be able to retire! ;)

Hi :)

It is a big difference and the hike to London isn't too bad, just 90 minutes into KC which is actually a lot easier for me than having to drive over to Manchester!

I'm sending my luggage on this time so will only be travelling light...famous last words!!

I just can't tolerate most of the low cost carriers at all, l hate them with a passion! :rolleyes:

I will fly with Monarch and if l can't get a direct with them l fly BA using the shuttle from MAN to connect most of the time.

Sophia:)

Is this upcoming trip for a cruise or a beach holiday?

Ahh, patience. Something with which I'm not gifted! But I'll treat it as an ongoing personal development experience.

Misunderstood about the sauce, I thought I spied a little sauce "Diane" on the plate, but I see now it's the mushrooms giving up a little of their moisture.

Today's looks good. Channeling Singapore? :D

Good morning .....

Some of us are unable to flash the cash to the degree of Mr Lux to achieve the level of comfort we like for our loved one ... so have to resort to a little effort which seems worthwhile......:D

I reckon that over the last 12 months I've received around £115k of hospitality and flights from my two main providers ie BA and Intercontinental Hotels for a much more manageable and acceptable cost. This is a level of travel lifestyle I wouldn't have come close to without the "programmes". A millionaire's lifestyle on a paupers pocket (ish).

It is always First on long-haul and always top suites in IC. We have not stayed in a hotel "room" for as long as I can remember. Free mini-bars, hotel club lounge access, free laundry, comped meals etc ... On top of that is other programmes used less prolifically ie our stay in a or the top suite in Dubrovnic a few months ago etc etc This is worth glancing at Rob's blog every morning or so .... and doing the small amount I do! :)

Yes ... stir fry a la Singapore. So much looking forward to our next trip and hope we slip one in in September/October this year.

On other issues. As Boris so rightly said today "I have come to the conclusion that Tony Blair has finally gone mad. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10901651/Blairs-Iraq-invasion-was-a-tragic-error-and-hes-mad-to-deny-it.html

... and it is alrming to read about ISIS ...... "Iraq arrest that exposed wealth and power of Isis jihadists"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/15/iraq-isis-arrest-jihadists-wealth-power

What have we done? :mad:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipaditis

That's a remarkable achievement Jeff and kudos to you.....why shouldn't one travel in style, l couldn't agree more! Mrs Jeff must be very proud of you:)

I remember many years ago when all these air miles et al came into play...had l been more astute l should have started looking then but at that time we were lucky to get a week a year in Majorca:rolleyes:

I like Boris.....he is of course quite wrong...TB went mad years ago when the power went to his head...and as for the Mrs......sheesh...just call me Tony! I know what I'd like to call him...and her!! Don't get me started :eek:

Busy day today messing about.....off to Chester on Thursday so need to get organised!

Quick beef sandwich for lunch and a chilli for supper with garlic bread...

Have a nice time in Chester, although we emigrated to sunny Cyprus 10 yrs ago, we have a holiday home just outside there in a village called Frodsham.

Chester is such a lovely city to visit, our part of the world. :D

Good Afternoon S!

Bit leary about the word "achievement" ... :) I guess for many years now we've been getting a good £80k to £100K value from BA and IC and the others .. year in and year out ... this last year a touch more because an extra LH trip to Ozland.

The incentive is easy to understand. Firstly, I think that First is way over-priced on BA and isn't something I'd buy too often with real cash. However the "catch 22" for us is that we won't travel long-haul unless in First. So it's F or nothing and I won't pay published list. So it's only with a fair percentage being redemption that we're good to go. This also means you don't take it too seriously, experience it very often and therefore feel comfortable and at home and not out of place .. and can really lower expectations sufficiently to relax and simply enjoy what they produce on any given day and shrug if it isn't perfect. First is great if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. We also like a lot of European travel.

But if you think of say £115k worth of value out of taxed income ..... it has to be you need to earn .. what £250k ... just for non-cruise travel every year? Who amongst us does this year in and year out. Not many. And those that earn that cash .. how many have the time to travel that much? Too much work! So we have time and very little effort has produced a lot of experiences. I'm pleased that some like to sneer at the effort as though it's a sort of lower class thing for people below, but I have produced experiences of travel for my wife I wouldn't otherwise been able to do (or rather that she'd feel comfortable for me spend on .. ) as often as we have and I am pretty pleased with that. Sneer away is what I say. Say it isn't worth it is great.... more space for us!

So far as Mrs Jeff ... well the first time she went to F checkin and then Concorde Room, and then the Laurent Perrier Big Tandem ... well the look on her face trying hard not to look too gleeful was enough for me. I just love seeing her face :D

Anyone can do it. It's tougher now, slightly more costly. You need to be flexible. You need not to mind risk. I only say all this .. not to boast ... but to motivate and encourage.

You enjoy lovely Chester!

Today I did a BBQ pork rice with some chicken in mango and chilli sauce .... the rice however was the star ....

57EFD6A0-6287-4197-9BBC-9F01D7546F42_zpsh1n2d3dm.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Have a nice time in Chester, although we emigrated to sunny Cyprus 10 yrs ago, we have a holiday home just outside there in a village called Frodsham.

Hello Fudgers!

Been thinking about Cyprus .. yearning for the Wine Festivals in August/September.

:)

Good Afternoon S!

Bit leary about the word "achievement" ... :) I guess for many years now we've been getting a good £80k to £100K value from BA and IC and the others .. year in and year out ... this last year a touch more because an extra LH trip to Ozland.

The incentive is easy to understand. Firstly, I think that First is way over-priced on BA and isn't something I'd buy too often with real cash. However the "catch 22" for us is that we won't travel long-haul unless in First. So it's F or nothing and I won't pay published list. So it's only with a fair percentage being redemption that we're good to go. This also means you don't take it too seriously, experience it very often and therefore feel comfortable and at home and not out of place .. and can really lower expectations sufficiently to relax and simply enjoy what they produce on any given day and shrug if it isn't

perfect. First is great if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. We also like a lot of European travel.

But if you think of say £115k worth of value out of taxed income ..... it has to be you need to earn .. what £250k ... just for non-cruise travel every year? Who amongst us does this year in and year out. Not many. And those that earn that cash .. how many have the time to travel that much? Too much work! So we have time and very little effort has produced a lot of experiences. I'm pleased that some like to sneer at the effort as though it's a sort of lower class thing for people below, but I have produced experiences of travel for my wife I wouldn't otherwise been able to do (or rather that she'd feel comfortable

for me spend on .. ) as often as we have and I am pretty pleased with that. Sneer away is what I say. Say it isn't worth it is great.... more space for us!

So far as Mrs Jeff ... well the first time she went to F checkin and then Concorde Room, and then the Laurent Perrier Big Tandem ... well the look on her face trying hard not to look too gleeful was enough for me. I just love seeing her face :D

Anyone can do it. It's tougher now, slightly more costly. You need to be

flexible. You need not to mind risk. I only say all this .. not to boast ... but to motivate and encourage.

You enjoy lovely Chester!

Today I did a BBQ pork rice with some chicken in mango and chilli sauce .... the rice however was the star ....

57EFD6A0-6287-4197-9BBC-9F01D7546F42_zpsh1n2d3dm.jpg

You keep doing what your doing Jeff....bugger the sneers.....wealth isn't just about money....most of us know that ;)

Hi Fudge,

It's my part of the world too....born in Shropshire but spent my early working life in Chester so it's home for me...and l shall be moving back there as soon as l can sell up here. My daughter and family live over there so I'm always popping back every few weeks or so.

This particular weekend l have been roped into babysitting :rolleyes: but will still find time to shop and have a wee cocktail at the Grosvenor !

Hi Fudge

I know Frodsham - my Uncle lives in Kingsley and I'm from Widnes (I know, nothing to be proud of ;) )

We were over recently, always enjoy going back 'home'.

Jeff, still loving your food photos!

Sophia - enjoy your break.

Karin