Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

One day ... when it's quiet ... I'll tell you some more quo stories ..... and they were no matchstick men .... :eek:

We all once refused a burger in the Wimpy Bar in Cheltenham because of their bleedin' hair .... those were the days .....:) Ot when they decided to go for a beer because they thought they were due on at 8:30 and it was actually supposed to be 8:00 ... and you'll remember they had a biker audience and they don't like waiting .. .... and yours truly was sent on to keep them calm whilst a search party was sent out. Leyton Baths that was. Happy days! :)

They named a sheep after Dolly didn't they.

Shall look forward to Quo tales.....those were the days....l was brought up with the Mersey Sound, parents owned a ballroom back then..another one of Grandpa's ventures :rolleyes:

Shall look forward to Quo tales.....those were the days....l was brought up with the Mersey Sound, parents owned a ballroom back then..another one of Grandpa's ventures :rolleyes:

I meant to say .... wifey and I were talking about your grandpa, He really sounds a hoot. Such a pragmatist and a man of spirit and character.

Funnily enough the place in Cheltenham was called Cheltenham Spa Ballroom and I use to do a Wednesday and Saturday for a while. It was above a Burtons in the High Street. We had a bouncer who thought he was cool and wore dark glasses even in the very dark club. He was always tripping over things in the club ... each week a new bruise ... which he would claim was because of door duty .... and his day job was veg manager at Tesco and we use to call him " Double O Tomato"

We had some great bands visit there ... but it's always the least well known that are your icons. I remember really so looking forward to working with Alexis Korner. When you booked him, you never know what size band would turn up, sometimes it was just him. I worked with him a few times after that and he was so nice and sucha gent. He originated so much of UK music and is so under appreciated. I actually had a little tear when he passed. Ian Drury was also a lovely man. And another really unusual one was Alex Harvey. Hendrix did a magic night. We had very few Mersey bands, but I did become good mates with John Banks of the Merseys. We all use to drink in The Ship in Wardour Street, and drink coffee in the Giaconda Coffee bar in Denmark Street. That by the way was where much of the cast of Hair was sourced .... i remember the first time they came in sniffing around ....

:)

For those interested in this music era .... this was a memorable performance by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band singing Delilah on The Old Grey Whistle Test. You must watch the whole performance. Particularly the props and dance. I can never get the dance out of my head ....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzOBv7RPbw

(You wouldn't believe how shy and stage scared he was in real life .....)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I meant to say .... wifey and I were talking about your grandpa, He really sounds a hoot. Such a pragmatist and a man of spirit and character.

Funnily enough the place in Cheltenham was called Cheltenham Spa Ballroom and I use to do a Wednesday and Saturday for a while. It was above a Burtons in the High Street. We had a bouncer who thought he was cool and wore dark glasses even in the very dark club. He was always tripping over things in the club ... each week a new bruise ... which he would claim was because of door duty .... and his day job was veg manager at Tesco and we use to call him " Double O Tomato"

We had some great bands visit there ... but it's always the least well known that are your icons. I remember really so looking forward to working with Alexis Korner. When you booked him, you never know what size band would

turn up, sometimes it was just him. I worked with him a few times after that and he was so nice and sucha gent. He originated so much of UK music and is so under appreciated. I actually had a little tear when he passed. Ian Drury was also a lovely man. And another really unusual one was Alex Harvey. Hendrix did a magic night. We had very few Mersey bands, but I did become good mates with John Banks of the Merseys. We all use to drink in The Ship in Wardour Street, and drink coffee in the Giaconda Coffee bar in Denmark Street. That by the way was where much of the cast of Hair was sourced .... i remember the first time they came in sniffing around ....

Grandpa was a wily old bugger and had the Midas touch....it is thanks to him that l was able to retire at 45, l still own the old family home and whenever l go back there l can still see him sat in his old chair rolling a woodbine.:)

He swore like a trooper and always wore tatty old clothes ;)

I remember the Marquee Club in Wardour St.....you of course would have the bigger names down there, Georgie Fame was one of my favourites.

My folks were the first to bring the Mersey sound to our small Market town...on opening night they charged 2/6 to come in and the place was heaving...l have such wonderful memories and was really pickled off when the parents would go to Liverpool with our agent and visit the Cavern, leaving me behind as l was a tad too young......

Three years ago l had a phone call out of the blue from a Mersey band who were one of our favourites......all still alive and kicking...they were writing a book and l was asked to contribute, which l did.

S:)

We had some great bands visit there ... but it's always the least well known that are your icons. I remember really so looking forward to working with Alexis Korner. When you booked him, you never know what size band would turn up, sometimes it was just him. I worked with him a few times after that and he was so nice and sucha gent. He originated so much of UK music and is so under appreciated. I actually had a little tear when he passed. Ian Drury was also a lovely man. And another really unusual one was Alex Harvey. Hendrix did a magic night. We had very few Mersey bands, but I did become good mates with John Banks of the Merseys. We all use to drink in The Ship in Wardour Street, and drink coffee in the Giaconda Coffee bar in Denmark Street. That by the way was where much of the cast of Hair was sourced .... i remember the first time they came in sniffing around ....

I used to drink in The Ship in Wardour street.

Flaxman court is the alley beside it which now leads to the back entrance of The Soho Hotel.

I used to drink in The Ship in Wardour street.

Flaxman court is the alley beside it which now leads to the back entrance of The Soho Hotel.

What a coincidence.

I use to run The Student Prince in D'Arblay street for a while just up the road. Below the fish and chip shop ... now a restaurant. I was illegally young but the previous manager ran off with the cash and left me with the keys. .... It was actually owned by a Turkish mafia combo and they only came down every six months or so to collect the rent and where a bit surprised to find a kid running their club.

Did you ever go to the Colony and meet Muriel?

For those interested in this music era .... this was a memorable performance by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band singing Delilah on The Old Grey Whistle Test. You must watch the whole performance. Particularly the props and dance. I can never get the dance out of my head ....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzOBv7RPbw

(You wouldn't believe how shy and stage scared he was in real life .....)

I remember it Jeff. When l look the music scene today l feel sorry for the kids who missed all this.

What a coincidence.

I use to run The Student Prince in D'Arblay street for a while just up the road. Below the fish and chip shop ... now a restaurant. I was illegally young but the previous manager ran off with the cash and left me with the keys. .... It was actually owned by a Turkish mafia combo and they only came down every six months or so to collect the rent and where a bit surprised to find a kid running their club.

Did you ever go to the Colony and meet Muriel?

Yes

Muriel Belcher

Did you know Jeffrey Bernard?

I remember it Jeff. When l look the music scene today l feel sorry for the kids who missed all this.

Once you see that dance in the middle ... you never seem to forget it .. and chuckle.:D

You wouldn't believe this in a million years, but Alex was a really quiet, shy, pensive man. A real family man with wife and kids at home, and he wouldn't allow his band to mess around whilst on the road.

It's funny but music seems to have disappeared so much now. Seeing Glastonbury I was thinking about and yearning to hear Stevie Wonder. You only need to hear a few bars of any of his stuff to know what is coming next.

Wifey has always suffered for my music. I once took her off for three weeks in search of Cajun and Zydeco. Life is never boring for her.

Yes

Muriel Belcher

Did you know Jeffrey Bernard?

Yes. :) Who is "unwell"!

And not many people can claim to have drunk all evening with Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud, and a Kray!

I remember her first words to me on my second visit. "Hello Aunty" (or it rhymes with Aunty and begins witha c ....."

:D

Yes. :) Who is "unwell"!

And not many people can claim to have drunk all evening with Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud, and a Kray!

I remember her first words to me on my second visit. "Hello Aunty" (or it rhymes with Aunty and begins witha c ....."

:D

Yes the C word with a Y at the end was a term of endearment for Muriel.

Many of these little haunts are gone now,the Groucho club is a different world.

It's all media types instead of artists that frequent the drinking dens.

Not as interesting as my times in the Coal hole in the Strand with Richard Harris.

Now he could drink.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Yes the C word with a Y at the end was a term of endearment for Muriel.

Many of these little haunts are gone now,the Groucho club is a different world

I often still say The Colony Room instead of The Concorde Room which I guess is a genuine Freudian slip.

I wonder how many people would believe such a place existed and such a person existed. It and she was unique. I was lucky to be allowed to enjoy it particularly as I wasn't of legal drinking age. She was very broad minded. Really important people would wander in .. and she would simply yell **** off. Even minor royalty. But she never held a grudge ... whatever ...;)

They did a programme about her some years ago.

I often still say The Colony Room instead of The Concorde Room which I guess is a genuine Freudian slip.

I wonder how many people would believe such a place existed and such a person existed. It and she was unique. I was lucky to be allowed to enjoy it particularly as I wasn't of legal drinking age. She was very broad minded. Really important people would wander in .. and she would simply yell **** off. Even minor royalty. But she never held a grudge ... whatever ...;)

They did a programme about her some years ago.

There's also that famous Bacon painting of Muriel.

When she died I think it passed to staff to run for a while

There's also that famous Bacon painting of Muriel.

When she died I think it passed to staff to run for a while

It was the manager. But there was also a bit of an effort to restart it when it stopped for a while i think. I often use to wonder whether Bacon only ever painted after a heavy session at Muriel's. Who would have thought that we would drink with the two people that have painted the most expensive paintings ever auctioned.

Who do you remember from there?