booking excursions

justbs

Has anyone booked excursions through sources other than the cruiseline? I have found what appears to be the same excursions for much less but I am not sure if booking outside of the cruiseline is a good idea. Comments? Suggestions? :confused:

We've booked both ways - I really think it depends on how much time you are going to be in port - and also your comfort level. One advantage that booking through the cruise line provides is that you don't have to worry about missing the boat. We had some friends on a cruise-sponsored excursion in Alaska - the group returned late and the ship waited for them to sail away.

If they had booked an independent trip - they would have been left to make their way to the next port.

The other advantage - if you don't get to a port because of bad weather, etc., you won't be charged for any of that port's excursions you may have booked through the cruiseline.

On the other hand, we have had some very good experiences booking through the indies... They are usually less expensive, and you may not have to fight the crowds. You might want to check out the cruise boards for the places you are going.

We used to always book through the cruise lines, . . . until I found this board!

We have still booked some excursions through the cruise line, such as the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten, because that is the only way you can book that excursion. If I wanted to do a very long distance excursion I would probably use the cruise line.

Last cruise we booked all of our tours independently and were VERY pleased. I scoured these boards and used operators that were highly recommended here. I checked out the times of the excursions and booked ones that gave me ample leeway. Those that I booked would have given us back our deposit if we couldn't make that port.

One other aspect of booking independently (other than having it be cheaper) is that there are usually fewer people on the excursion that on the ship's excursion.

Yes, I worry about missing the ship, but take the time factor into consideration. Also, I have NEVER heard about anyone missing the ship due to an independent operator. We are their bread and butter and they do NOT want us to miss the ship. I have heard of operators having some mechanical problems and other operators jumping to their rescue to get the passengers back to the ships on time. They ALL want to get us back. Negative word of mouth would work against them all very quickly.

Do your homework and make a decision you feel comfortable with. If you want to go with the ship's excursion you will still have a great time.

sheffie's advice is right on the money. Use the ship excursions for long trips both in distance from the port and time. But other than that, you will be FAR happier doing excursions on your own with local operators. There is a wealth of information on the port of call boards that will direct you to those folks.

Even if you don't save appreciably over the cruiseline prices (and you almost invariably WILL) it is well worth it to have the smaller groups and personal attention that you'll get going independently.

When we did sting ray city in Grand Cayman there were 4 of us on a 30 ft cabin cruiser with a captain who got right in the water with us, as opposed to the cruiseline boats w/ 150 people on them (and LOT'S of kids). No comparison in the two experiences.

We typically do excursions in the morning and shiopping (if any) in the afternoon. That way there isn't the worry about getting back to the ship in time.

Good advice on doing it on your own. In some ports, we've hired a taxi driver for the day and had them take us to the sites WE wanted to see and used OUR timetable for how long we stayed. For the four of us it usually ran $100 including tip. Just make sure their taxi is air-conditioned and the fee is agreed to before you start.

Peter

I always book on my own now. I found some much information on these boards. Check out the posts on the ports and it will give you tons of information. The tour companies work the the cruise lines and know when the ships come and leave. I have never had any problems booking tours on my own.

Archived