Art Auctions at sea

moldal13

Can anyone tell me the "real deal" about these at sea art auctions? Is the art real? Are the pieces usually overpriced? We have been on 6 cruises before, and have never really understood if these art auctions are a scam. Thanks for any advice.

MolDal13:D

It looked like a scam to me, so I did a lot of research about them when I got home. One company does them for most of the cruise lines, and almost all reports about them are positive. The auctioneer came across like a used-car salesman, though, so I'll keep buying from galleries I trust.

Murray

My wife and I bought two pieces on our last cruise. We paid for one piece $1700. When I got home I check to see how much it was worth. It was worth $3500. The other piece was not a lot of money and I did not do any research on it.

I too thought that this was a scam, used car salesman. From my experience, we bought what we liked and wanted to look at for a long time. For us, we did get a deal. We did win a piece in a raffle during the auction. This piece cost us only the shipping charges to get it home, about $90, if I remember correctly. It was the perfect piece for a blank wall in our bathroom.

I will be going to the art auction on our Celebrity cruise in August. We are running out of wall space. This time we may be looking for a sculpture.

I always say do what feels right in you gut. If it does not feel right, don't buy it.

Wow, very interesting information. I'll be curious to see what they have on the Carnival Spirit. We'll be sailing on July 20th southbound Alaska. Thanks for the helpful feedback .

I think that they are fun to watch. I have never purchased anything and I doubt that I ever will.

It is facinating to see who bids and buys what. Some of the stuff they sell is a bit much for me. But you know what they say "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Deb

I found the art actions to be fun and did enjoy the free champane that was served. I didn't buy anything but once we got home I did my homework.You might check out Ebay and just see what these pieces are going for. I did see some art work that I liked only to find that the pieces are now being sold at Wal-Mart? Gee, I wonder where you can get the best Price? It was fun.

Archived