Thinking of Carnival Victory...help?

wanderlust1026

It's been a while since my family has been able to go on a cruise and we finally are able to do so! Can't spend a fortune and think we found a possibility-the 5 night itinerary out of Miami on the Carnival Victory.

We've been on a couple of Princess Cruises and one Royal Caribbean. We know that Carnival is a little less in quality which is fine with us but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this particular ship. Some say its ok, some say food is terrible, etc.

It will be myself, my husband and my 3 and 6 year sons. We are mainly looking to 1) get on a cruise again-we've missed cruising and bc of unemployment and other reasons we haven't gone in a while 2) pretty good food and 3) some parents/date nights & rest while kiddos go to the kids club. We aren't too picky outside of these points.

What are your thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated! Please...thank you!

I think you'll get what you are looking for. I haven't been on Victory, but I haven't really noticed complaints about that one in particular. I've been on Victory's sister ship, Triumph, twice. There were fewer lunch options than the newer ships, and the buffet lines could be longer than other ships, but the ship was still a great ship. I like that setup, and I love the waterslide that's on that ship. Many of the valid complaints about Carnival lately has been the reduction in quantity & quality of entertainment (worse theater shows, no live music in the theater, fewer live bands, no live music by the pool), some overcrowding issues, reduction of activities/entertainment causing people to get bored, some dinner menu items being removed, and 2.0 "upgrades" requiring the limiting or elimination of certain foods.

What's being done in the theater has not yet spread to the Victory. Probably will in their drydock next year. That's also when those 2.0 things will happen. 2.0 limits when you can have certain foods & gets rid of some other foods. That's caused quite a few complaints. There will be no live music by the pool; just a DJ playing dance club music. That is fleetwide.

I haven't been a big fan of the atmosphere they have been sponsoring on board lately. They're moving away from the fun, & just wanting guests to drink alcohol, eat burgers, & entertain each other. But for what you're looking for, I think Carnival will work just fine for you. I'm a picky eater, but if it suits my tastes, I'm easy to please, and I am still very pleased with the food I get from Carnival. And for the kids, Camp Carnival does a good job from what I hear. I think that they even has a late night program, for an extra charge, where they'll watch the kids later than normal. Other than that late night thing, it is free.

We sailed on the Victory this summer on the five day itinerary. This was my 17th cruise. We loved this ship and never had an issue with lines. In fact we liked it so much we convinced my sister to sail it and she is on the Victory right now.

Having said that it is best not to compare apples to oranges. This is not Carnival's newest fanciest ship so cannot be fairly compared to another cruise lines newer ships.

We are booked on Victory for the second time this year and I booked it for my daughter earlier this summer. We like this class of ship having sailed Triumph and Destiny. The bands are not as large as they once were but there was a show band in the Theatre and live music by the pool (Usually a one or two man group) The food is typical Carnival which I like and the service was pretty good. Just me but I would rather do two cruises a year on Carnival vs one on one of the newer ships..

I booked out of Miami for a 5 day on Sept 30th. I went online and found a really cheap rate. This was a last minute thing for us. I think inside was $139, oceanview $179 and balcony (this is what I took) $259. Now this is without the tips and I paid $90 in taxes. Go to Youtube and there are a few really good videos on the ship.

Archived