Legend - Western Question

Catrin

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions for those who have been on the Legend - Western Itinerary. We are thinking of going on this ship in December.

First, Please tell me about Panama. Do you visit the canal at all?? My husband is interested in this.

Second, how are the other ports of call?

Third, any general feedback about this cruise? We have been to the basic Western cruise three times now, and want to try something different.

Thank you!

Catrin

Sailed the Legend Nov 03', great ship, wonderful service, excellent food. Entertainment was great. Colon Panama has alot to offer, my advice: Do not book an excursion through the ship, there are plenty independent operators right at the port. Have them take you to the Gatun Locks, it is the first lock through the canal, all of the other locks are exactly the same. There is a fort near by, the tour guide can take you there as well, I am willing to bet it will be extremely cheap. My wife and I as well as 8 others rented a van, took it all the way over to the Pacific side, checked out a zoo, downtown Panama City, several military installations, the Gatun Locks, and had lunch at an inexpensive restaurant all for a mere $45 per person, plus tip. The most interesting thing about Colon is the Free Zone, it is 40 acres of wholesale and some retail establishments where you can get a Rolex or a ship load of what ever tariff, tax, transportation free.

Belize: We did the cave tubing with Extreme Tubing, it was great. The city of Belize is no different than any ghetto in the U.S.

Costa Rica: We did the white water rafting through the ship, it was great, well worth the money. The city itself is ok to check out, we walked it without any problems.

By all means, you MUST check out the canal one way or the other. It is simply amazing. We booked the tour through the ship and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In Belize, don't venture away from the fenced in port area alone. We did the city tour and were very sad to see all the poverty. You really need to get outside of Belize City to appreciate the beauty of the country.

In Costa Rica, we did the Green Train and it was a great trip. Bumpy on the train as all get out, but a great way to see the countryside.

You can check out my pictures of that cruise by clicking on the link in my signature. It's a neat itinerary!

Archived