Questions Carnival Liberty Shore Excursions

Shelly196731

I'm so excited, in 44 days, my husband and I will be taking our first cruise on Carnival Liberty, Western Carribbean. I'm considering taking shore excursions and wanted opinions from experienced travelers! My husband and I figure we can lay out on the ship, but when we head to shore, we like to hear stories about the places we visit. This is what I thought we'd do:

Cozumel Mexico: Take the Discover Mexico & Taste excursion (takes you to Discover Mexico and provides taco's and margaritas). Then take a cab to the Chocolate Factory tour. Perhaps if there is time after, take a cab around the island.

Belize: I am fixed on taking the X (not sure how to spell it) ruins tour.

Mahgoney Bay: Walk to the beach and find someone to rent us snorkeling gear. Can we do that?

Grand Cayman, Cayman Island: Take the Pedro Saint James, Hell, Beach shore excursion. I figure that this tour will offer some interesting stories about the island and some beautiful sites. I had contacted someone about renting a car and it was about $75 just for the car. I'm not sure how much gas is on the Island, and getting into Pedro Saint James, so it looked less expensive to take the shore excursion.

I also booked a night at the steakhouse. I figured it would be a great way to kick off the cruise. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. We did purchase F2F, based on the reviews I saw on here.

Exciting! We are also sailing Liberty (3rd time) this year.

There will be LOTS of information on the 'Ports of Call' boards for these individual stops. Probably best to check them out.

You can also find your ship's roll call on the 'Roll Call' boards and see what your fellow cruisers are doing in port.

We have done the Carnival Xunantunich tour and really liked it. It's a long day, a long bus ride...but the guides were great and the ruins are spectacular.

In Roatan you will have to take a cab to the beach in West Bay or West End to snorkel or do a snorkel excursion. Maya Key and Little French Key have been getting good reviews. We usually arrange transportation through Bananarama for $35/pp because we have our own snorkel gear. They do have a $40/pp package that includes 2 hours of snorkel gear, welcome drink, beach chair, use of facilities and transportation to/from the ship. The only beach in walking distance from the shop is the man-made beach at the port.

I'm so excited, in 44 days, my husband and I will be taking our first cruise on Carnival Liberty, Western Carribbean. I'm considering taking shore excursions and wanted opinions from experienced travelers! My husband and I figure we can lay out on the ship, but when we head to shore, we like to hear stories about the places we visit. This is what I thought we'd do:

Cozumel Mexico: Take the Discover Mexico & Taste excursion (takes you to Discover Mexico and provides taco's and margaritas). Then take a cab to the Chocolate Factory tour. Perhaps if there is time after, take a cab around the island.

Belize: I am fixed on taking the X (not sure how to spell it) ruins tour.

Mahgoney Bay: Walk to the beach and find someone to rent us snorkeling gear. Can we do that?

Grand Cayman, Cayman Island: Take the Pedro Saint James, Hell, Beach shore excursion. I figure that this tour will offer some interesting stories about the island and some beautiful sites. I had contacted someone about renting a car and it was about $75 just for the car. I'm not sure how much gas is on the Island, and getting into Pedro Saint James, so it looked less expensive to take the shore excursion.

I also booked a night at the steakhouse. I figured it would be a great way to kick off the cruise. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. We did purchase F2F, based on the reviews I saw on here.

We sailed this itinerary on Liberty back in April.

Cozumel-we hailed a cab to Mr. Sancho's. Great beach day.

Belize-we took the X tour through Carnival. AMAZING!! The ruins took our breaths away. It does get very hot there, so bring hats and water.

Roatan-Mahogany Beach is a very short walk from the ship. It's a beautiful beach. Don't remember if they rent snorkel gear.

Grand Cayman- since this was our third time, we hailed a cab to 7 Mile Beach. We did the Hell/Turtle Farm/7 Mile Beach tour the first time back in 2000. We loved it and learned about the island.

Have a great cruise.

Cozumel- we usually just rent a jeep from Avis. Drive around the entire island. Stop at Mr. Sanchos for some swimming and drinks. Then finish off at downtown and do some shopping.

Belize - this July we ended doing a city tour with a local pastor. He usually sets up a booth across from the wet lizard bar. He has a very comfortable van and is very informative. Though he will take you in to the area of the island with the most poverty which is really tuff to see. But you will be glad to see it. Other tours will not take you there.

Roatan - if you do go to the beach of the port just keep in mind that there's a chance you will get stung by jellyfish. It can happen at any beach. My daughter got stung really bad around her arm and entire back. Speaking with the medic on the beach he told me it happens just about every day.

Grand Cayman - we did the deluxe stingray sandbar from carnival. The tour was excellent. The trolley to the boat was new and the boat was great. Once we got back we hired a cab to take us to hell and to the public beach.

We have done the Carnival Xunantunich tour and really liked it. It's a long day, a long bus ride...but the guides were great and the ruins are spectacular.

We did this as well in November!!!

For me, it was the highlight of the trip, we got to climb the ruins. AMAZING!!!!

....from that exact cruise - same itinery, same ship.

I never did consider the excursions that Carnival sells - my travel agent told me that they are over-priced and too crowded. She put me on to a provider called "Shore Trips", and I was very impressed. We used them at every stop - and the local guides were reliable, on time and delivered all they said they would.

Google them and open an account - you can make your order, pay on line and you'll get a confirmation once they confirm with the local tour providers.

My daughter and I enjoyed a 1.5 hour horseback ride along the beach at Grand Cayman - ALONE with only the 2 guides. We had a private tour of Roatan Island, went to Tulum from Cozumel and had a ruins/city tour in Belize. All with super small groups or alone. Very impressed.

....from that exact cruise - same itinery, same ship.

I never did consider the excursions that Carnival sells - my travel agent told me that they are over-priced and too crowded. She put me on to a provider called "Shore Trips", and I was very impressed. We used them at every stop - and the local guides were reliable, on time and delivered all they said they would.

Google them and open an account - you can make your order, pay on line and you'll get a confirmation once they confirm with the local tour providers.

My daughter and I enjoyed a 1.5 hour horseback ride along the beach at Grand Cayman - ALONE with only the 2 guides. We had a private tour of Roatan Island, went to Tulum from Cozumel and had a ruins/city tour in Belize. All with super small groups or alone. Very impressed.

I agree about going private, and the only time I use Carnival tours is when the location is a long way from port. That was true 3 yrs ago with Uxmal (and was really glad we went Carnival) and will be true when we do the Atum-Ha &River Wallace excursion next month.

You have to consider what you're going to see. Sometimes DIY is better, sometimes private tours and every once in awhile, a ship's tour.

i'm so excited, in 44 days, my husband and i will be taking our first cruise on carnival liberty, western carribbean. I'm considering taking shore excursions and wanted opinions from experienced travelers! My husband and i figure we can lay out on the ship, but when we head to shore, we like to hear stories about the places we visit. This is what i thought we'd do:

Cozumel mexico: Take the discover mexico & taste excursion (takes you to discover mexico and provides taco's and margaritas). Then take a cab to the chocolate factory tour. Perhaps if there is time after, take a cab around the island.

Belize: I am fixed on taking the x (not sure how to spell it) ruins tour.

Mahgoney bay: Walk to the beach and find someone to rent us snorkeling gear. Can we do that?

Grand cayman, cayman island: Take the pedro saint james, hell, beach shore excursion. I figure that this tour will offer some interesting stories about the island and some beautiful sites. I had contacted someone about renting a car and it was about $75 just for the car. I'm not sure how much gas is on the island, and getting into pedro saint james, so it looked less expensive to take the shore excursion.

I also booked a night at the steakhouse. I figured it would be a great way to kick off the cruise. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. We did purchase f2f, based on the reviews i saw on here.

hi--lucky you-all---you will love the liberty and the islands--you will be visiting----and take the tours--right from --carnival---we have toured them all---with 57 plus cruises on carnival---and yes the --steak house is special---you will enjoy the 'special menu' and service--happy sailing----from--irene and john--oh-- i wouldn't rent a car in the islands------one couple--we know--rented a car on one of the islands--it broke down----had no--no--way--of getting back to the ship----had to--at their expense----fly to the next island---to meet the ship-now maybe this was an odd thing--but play it safe---book a tour------irene and john----again---

I agree about going private, and the only time I use Carnival tours is when the location is a long way from port. That was true 3 yrs ago with Uxmal (and was really glad we went Carnival) and will be true when we do the Atum-Ha &River Wallace excursion next month.

You have to consider what you're going to see. Sometimes DIY is better, sometimes private tours and every once in awhile, a ship's tour.

That is why we booked the Xunantunich tour through Carnival. It was a seven hour day and I wanted no worries. Good thing, too. Our tour ended up leaving the ruins late and we got back to Belize almost an hour late. A private tender was waiting to take us back to the ship, which should have sailed an hour earlier but had to wait for us.

For small islands and close tours, we always book through private companies.

That is why we booked the Xunantunich tour through Carnival. It was a seven hour day and I wanted no worries. Good thing, too. Our tour ended up leaving the ruins late and we got back to Belize almost an hour late. A private tender was waiting to take us back to the ship, which should have sailed an hour earlier but had to wait for us.

For small islands and close tours, we always book through private companies.

I second this approach. With that amount of distance between you and the ship, better safe than sorry. We found that the Xunantunich private tour was NOT that much cheaper than the ships tour, maybe $10/pp difference. SO worth it for piece of mind.

Yes, but you shouldn't... Okay, that's too harsh. If you just want beach time the port beach here is very nice and sandy with a view of the ship, and the price is right (free). However, the snorkeling there was not very good (a little structure on the left hand side, but not a lot of coral and fish).

However, West Bay (several miles) (cab, group transportation w/ bananarama, or a tour with Victor Boden) has AWESOME snorkeling from shore, and an equally nice beach area. If you do a private tour with Victor's company they will give you a tour, tell you about the history of the island, hit a couple scenic overlooks or other points of interest (we stopped at their fire station for a few minutes as we had a firefighter with who recognized an old fire truck) and will generally be at your direction for transporation for the day. They'll let you spend as much or as little time at the beach as you like, for less than you'd pay for a ship's excursion...

As previously mentioned Maya key is also cited as having very good snorkeling along with a beach, some animals and a history center. I have not been there, but we are considering it for our upcoming trip, if I can get past the consideration that this would mean not going back to West Bay.

We did purchase F2F, based on the reviews I saw on here.

With 2 tender ports that's probably a good idea (we did as well for our upcoming trip in December). Last year we waited over an hour to get off the boat in Grand Cayman from the time the first tender started loading. Belize wasn't so slow, but I'm still looking forward to missing most of the line.

Archived