Duty free allowance

BarbaraM

We will be taking a cruise out of Southampton, then another cruise/line departing the day after the first cruise ends. The second cruise allows carry on wine/liquor. What is the limit to bring off the first ship into Southampton duty free. It only sails to EU countries.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have you got a trailer-truck? :D

If you buy in an EU country, the limits per adult are:

90 litres (120 bottles) of wine

+ 110 litres of beer

+ 10 litres (13 bottles) of hard liquor

+ 20 litres fortified wine (port, sherry etc)

If you buy outside the EU (eg ship's duty-free), you can only :rolleyes: bring in:

1 litre hard liquor

+ 4 litres still wine

+ 16 litres beer

(though few ships sell wines & beers in their duty-free shop)

So you're going to have one helluva party that night.

Will I get an invite? :D

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

and

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

JB :D

I am doing a B2B2B from Southampton next week same ship and car parked at the port.

Can I take my bought booze (duty paid) off the ship and leave it in the car after each single cruise ??

I suppose you could if you can find your car in the car park but temember customs know this trick.

Is it a trick or a legal thing to do ?

Perfectly legal for duty-frees. :)

Where life gets complicated is bringing stuff back duty-paid from an EU country. EU law allows "a reasonable quantity for your own use" & the quantities I mentioned (90litres of wine etc) are HM Customs' guidelines - theoretically you can bring back those quantities without questions being asked, but if you bring back more you will have to satisfy HMC that it is genuinely for your own use & HMC make a note what you've brought in.

If you then return a few days/weeks later HMC can & do confiscate, even if you bring in only the guideline amount, because they (quite reasonably)believe it's for re-sale. This is generally a problem with tobacco rather than alcohol.

All of which is by-the-by. If you wish, you can spend your entire life flying back & forth across the Atlantic bringing back a litre bottle of duty-free scotch each time. ;)

JB :)

Archived