The best reason(s) to take very young children on a cruise?

mikesteg

What are YOUR reasons?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What are YOUR reasons?

• It's a great value (when you pick the right cruise)
    • All the smiles when other pax see my kids having a blast just walking across deck
    • Much safer than taking them to a foreign country for a week
    • I love to spend time with my kids, because I love my kids
    • (Relatively) free childcare
    • No cooking, no dishes!
    • We've been to all the ports without them, so it's great to see things through new eyes
    • My favorite cruise line targets families... who am I to argue?

[/color]

It was our family stay at the Grande Sunset Princess in Playa Del Carmen. The swim-out suite was amazing. Beaches Boscobel was the most expensive family resort we have EVER booked but for adult I love Couples . Do you mean FDR in Runaway Bay? My favorite vacation destination is the US:D If I had to do the same vacation experience over and over be it cruise or resort then I would rather stay home. I live in South Cal, not a bad decision:D

I've FDR, yes. My error. By the time we had heard about FDR, the kids were too old for the personal nanny thing. We took the kids on cruises when they were toddlers.

We had done Lake George and Cape Cod when they were really little... and it was stressful. If there was a diaper explosion at the aquarium or on Canada Street... the hotel/cottage wasn't a short elevator ride away.

:(

Feeding them, feeding ourselves... It's so much easier at an all-inclusive type. The kids are older now. The only planned cruise we have ahead of us now is 2015, aboard the Quantum. We have Hawaii in 2014, and we did China this year.

Cruise withdrawal... I missed being horizontal on my vacation. Looking forward to Hawaii. :cool:

I've FDR, yes. My error. By the time we had heard about FDR, the kids were too old for the personal nanny thing. We took the kids on cruises when they were toddlers.

We had done Lake George and Cape Cod when they were really little... and it was stressful. If there was a diaper explosion at the aquarium or on Canada Street... the hotel/cottage wasn't a short elevator ride away.

:(

Feeding them, feeding ourselves... It's so much easier at an all-inclusive type. The kids are older now. The only planned cruise we have ahead of us now is 2015, aboard the Quantum. We have Hawaii in 2014, and we did China this year.

Cruise withdrawal... I missed being horizontal on my vacation. Looking forward to Hawaii. :cool:

Enjoy Hawaii, last year we did the Big Island and this year Maui and Kauai, land of course. Also this year Western Caribbean on Carnival Magic and 2 weeks in Jamaica, yep land. BTW, I grew up just a stone throw from FDR but love Mexico resorts, pooooooooooooools:D

No you don't, a GREAT vacation can happen HERE in the US. Enjoy!

Jamaica no problem, Mexico no solution, I am happy with both. The other album was our family vacation in Mexico, no guards but we also traveled to ruins and cenotes away from the resort zone.

Yeah. . . I live in Hawaii. ROFL Thanks for trying, I'll stick with cruising :)

Yeah. . . I live in Hawaii. ROFL Thanks for trying, I'll stick with cruising :)

Amazing place, a world2see by land or sea. My kids are older so maybe it's time they are expected to contribute to the cost of their travel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I thought that is was an incredibly easy way to vacation with a young child. Our son was nine months old for his first cruise and will be two years old for our upcoming cruise. Your vacation is certainly different than it was pre-kids but still fun. It was nice to be able to take him swimming, out to eat, for walks, etc. without having to pack him into the car. I still didn't have to cook anything, wash any dishes or do any laundry all week and just got to enjoy my family. I know that he won't remember it but he had fun and I'm sure enjoyed the change of scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

Family memories. DH and I just took a 10 yr anniversary trip without kids and that was good for a once in a while indulgence but I'd really love to share some of those experiences and memories with our children too! Next trip will be with the whole family!

Family memories. DH and I just took a 10 yr anniversary trip without kids and that was good for a once in a while indulgence but I'd really love to share some of those experiences and memories with our children too! Next trip will be with the whole family!

DH and I took a short trip recently without our kids for 3 nights and we couldn't wait to get back to them. Everywhere we went we said to each other how much our girls would have liked it. LOL We had a good time together, but missed our girls immensely.

• 4 weeks later...

well thank goodness for this thread.

i got major stick by sis in law and friends about taking our 2.9 yo on a med cruise this september

my other half and I got the :

1- "He wont remember it so why bother"

2- "12 nights is way too long to disrupt his routine"

3- "Its not fair to keep him sat in a dining table for an hour plus for a posh meal"... and then lead to...

4- " I wouldnt have taken my kids on a expensive holiday like this until they are much older because they are just not used to the changes and following etiquette and theres no point"

.... firstly-- this came from SEveral , non travelling people who have barely left their own backyard with their own kids who are now youngest 3 and eldest 14 and never seen much of anything except United Kingdom and spain. (we are from gibraltar. europe)

secondly -- yes i know he wont remember, but we will , and his smiles, laughter and joy are in our memories foreever and captured in video and photo moments which he can look through and be told for many yrs to come

..12 nights was our choice...so yeah whatever

...he had electronics at a tabble (at 2.9 yo i couldnt expect him to sit still but would with elmo and sesame st apps,)

...IF THEY NEVER EVER EXPERIENCE THIS HOW ARE THEY EVEN SUPPOSED TO GET USED IT IT ?? if i wait to start say when hes 5 or 6, what difference will that make ?

we have started now at almost 3, and each time will just be different,..

:)

im a traveller since a young child with my family so used to cruises, hotels, etiquettes etc :)

good day all

i got major stick by sis in law and friends about taking our 2.9 yo on a med cruise this september

3- "Its not fair to keep him sat in a dining table for an hour plus for a posh meal"... and then lead to...

4- " I wouldnt have taken my kids on a expensive holiday like this until they are much older because they are just not used to the changes and following etiquette and theres no point"

.... firstly-- this came from SEveral , non travelling people who have barely left their own backyard with their own kids who are now youngest 3 and eldest 14 and never seen much of anything except United Kingdom and spain. (we are from gibraltar. europe)

secondly -- yes i know he wont remember, but we will , and his smiles, laughter and joy are in our memories foreever and captured in video and photo moments which he can look through and be told for many yrs to come

..12 nights was our choice...so yeah whatever

...he had electronics at a tabble (at 2.9 yo i couldnt expect him to sit still but would with elmo and sesame st apps,)

...IF THEY NEVER EVER EXPERIENCE THIS HOW ARE THEY EVEN SUPPOSED TO GET USED IT IT ?? if i wait to start say when hes 5 or 6, what difference will that make ?

we have started now at almost 3, and each time will just be different,..

:)

im a traveller since a young child with my family so used to cruises, hotels, etiquettes etc :)

good day all

Love this response, BuffyIndy! It so true! We've been travelling on land vacations and cruises since the the kids were babies. Especially when we took our 3 yr old to Disneyworld, people couldn't understand why we would take such a young child there??? Really??? Anyway, she doesn't remember every moment, but my DH, DS and I have wonderful memories of her there, and the videos and pictures to prove it.

Now my kids are in high school and college, and we often look back over all of our vacations and they truly are some of the best memories of our lives. Sure, there is more work in involved with travelling with very young children, but I couldn't imagine not having those experiences with our kids.

The first cruise we went on after my son was born was when he was 14 mos. We didn't take him because everyone said you need time alone. It was the biggest parenting mistake I've made. We spent the whole week missing him and no matter how many activities we participated in he wouldn't leave our thoughts. He took his first cruise at 26 mos and has had a cruise almost every year since.

His first cruise wasn't as wonderful only by luck of the draw of waiter and cabin steward. Even without him I don't think I would have been pleased with the personalities and service (first and only time I ever reduced a standard tip as I usually give more then standard).

Besides the fact that we get to go to different ports of call without unpacking and repacking, without getting in a car and plotting directions, or figuring out public transportation to get from one place to another (OK we do use the occasional taxi) it is the least stressful kids vacation. It can be made only better when mommy comes down with bronchitis and has a wonderful kids program to send the munchkin to so she can get a couple hours sleep in and never have to worry about cooking and cleaning.

He is about to go on cruise number 6 and this is his cruise. He asked for it and even planned out his schedule. I traveled with my parents all over the country growing up and I'm so glad to be able to see he enjoys it as much as I do and the world looks so much better through the eyes of my 8 year old.

l

Isn't most of that true though or worth considering? I have taken mine but never felt completely comfortable taking them out of the routine I create in the first place. My DS (18 yrs old) doesn't like to travel and I am not sure if dragging him at an early age has contributed to it. If we create routine because we think it's important then taking them out of it for day on end 'could' be uncomfortable. Now not everyone has routine, so may not be the case.

I can't stand being more than 14 days away from home, preferelty 7-10 days.

Every kid is different blk amish. My oldest has wanderlust just like his parents. We spent a month in Europe when he was 3 and he still talks about it 2 years later. We have two more now, and only time will tell how they will like it. But we would rather encorporate them into our lives rather than make the assumption they wont like it or cant handle it. My oldest has risen to the challenge more often than not.

A cruise allows you to see the world with unpacking once, something nice id you are encumbered with the trappings of three young kids.

And before kids we spent months abroad at a time. So this is big time cutting back for us. Kids take cues from their parents. If you are not passionate about something it is definitely not worth doing (esp with littles in tow). I wont lie traveling is harder now, but i am not going to sit on my hands and wait for them to grow up.

Kids allow you to see the world in a whole new way.

I U

And before kids we spent months abroad at a time. So this is big time cutting back for us. Kids take cues from their parents. If you are not passionate about something it is definitely not worth doing (esp with littles in tow). I wont lie traveling is harder now, but i am not going to sit on my hands and wait for them to grow up.

Kids allow you to see the world in a whole new way.

My kids are now 18 and 15. We are avid travelers but one loves to travel and the other doesn't. He has his own likes and travel is not one of them. This year he refused to do land vacations in Hawaii and Jamaica. He enjoyed the Carnival Magic for his graduation gift, but made it clear he preferred Princess. He liked the Princess cruise, less the part we were in Alaska. My DD did the Road to Hana in Maui, 13 hrs, without complaining.

I do factor different things when we travel: time, place, but especially length . I waited years before traveling to Europe with them. It was one month and four different countries. Now I go back and do Italy my way.

Pauline

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Archived