What to do?

sacnaillady

Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out what to do if anything in Belize. My husband and I are in our 50's and in pretty good shape. We don't want to shop, cave tub, see ruins, zip line or go on a long boat ride. He gets sea sick and we both are afraid of heights! So I'm trying to figure out if there is anything for us in Belize. We will be there in Dec. on New Year's Eve. Any suggestion?

He can take the tender in and he's fine on the ship with sea bands. We unfortunately can't do the 30 to 45 min. out to the Cay's. I've tried to get him on catamarans and the bouncy up and down is a No! :( I love that stuff. I just don't know what to do. I hate to go all the way there and not see the country. By reading the boards there's only cave tubbing, the Cay's and the zoo. And it doesn't seem to be safe in town by what I'm reading. So again I just don't know what to do.

I would do a city or Mayan ruins tour. You can book it right at the pier as soon as you get off the tender. I considered it but we were slow getting off the ship that day and the time difference meant we may have to rush through some things. It does take 30-45 minutes to get most places but the tour guides have a map that will show you how far your attraction is before you book. The guides have on a uniform shirt with khaki pants. They were very professional and left me alone when I changed my mind. I'd say their prices are $15-20 cheaper than the cruise line's shore excursion prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

He can take the tender in and he's fine on the ship with sea bands. We unfortunately can't do the 30 to 45 min. out to the Cay's. I've tried to get him on catamarans and the bouncy up and down is a No! :( I love that stuff. I just don't know what to do. I hate to go all the way there and not see the country. By reading the boards there's only cave tubbing, the Cay's and the zoo. And it doesn't seem to be safe in town by what I'm reading. So again I just don't know what to do.

You do realize the tender ride in Belize is easily 20 minutes each way. (not like tendering in most ports, where it is just a 1/4 mile tops, maybe 5 minute, ride in.)

30-45 minutes isn't much of a difference.

From everything you excluded in your initial post, you basically booked a cruise with a stop that you have little intrest in.

Like paying for a day at Disney World, but you don't like rides, hate walking around cartoon characters and don't like lots of walking.:confused:

There isn't much to do in the pier area, other than shopping and a few restaurants and bars.

The pier area is much older and run down (not ghetto, just old) than the other ports you will visit on the Western Itinerary.

But I will say on the positive side, at least it isn't cookie cutter, like the other ports, that all have the same 2-3 bars and the exact same cruiseline shops inside their pier area.

Our first trip there, we went into the pier just to check it out.

We walked the entire pier area. (trying to find the spot to get our passports stamped, but it was their independence day)

Since we don't enjoy shopping or drinking terribly much and we had spent all of our excursion funds for the cruise at the other stops, we were on the next tender back to the ship for the day.

Our next stop in Belize in April, we have decided to just stay on the ship, since we too are not intrested in Cave tubing, zip lining or Mayan Ruins. (at least not this trip. I LOVE exploring the ruins, but have done them already. Again, we are spending our excursion funds in Cozumel and Roatan this trip.)

The long, bumpy, tender ride in and the LONG wait in line to reboard the tenders back, in the freaking heat (we are from SC,the heat down there is crazy humid and hot), and the long ride back out, just isn't worth it to us.

I hope somebody comes in here and has a suggestion that will make the tender ride in worth it for you guys.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Thank Bill.

This is kinda what I thought.

Our thing is...I love to shop but not at port stops...same made in China crap that you see everywhere in the world, different city on the t shirt! Ruins....been there done that many times. Snorkeling...we're snorkeling in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Beach club...Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Private tour, Victor Bodden in Roatan. Long boat trip to the Cay...sea sickness. Cave Tubbing...I've cave snorkeled, not much to see, don't really need to do it again. So it is not like we are going to Disneyland and not going on the rides. We're just doing some of the same things at Knotts Berry Farm and Leggo land

So, from what I can tell Belize it might be wise to stay on the ship. Or if my hubby can handle the tender maybe well just run into the port, shop, have a beer and go back. Unless I can come up with something. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ok, we watched a Video on cave tubbing a decided to do that. It looks fun. And we hate to go to a port and not get off the ship and experience some of that country. Now I have to pick a company to do that through! Lol! I love vacation planning! Thanks every one!

Ok, we watched a Video on cave tubbing a decided to do that. It looks fun. And we hate to go to a port and not get off the ship and experience some of that country. Now I have to pick a company to do that through! Lol! I love vacation planning! Thanks every one!

There are a couple of reputable cave tubing companies that everyone in here uses...

If nobody comes in this thread and can help steer you to them, maybe start a new thread, specifically about cave tubing companies.

Like I said, hope you find one to your liking.

We have yet to stay on the ship in a port yet. (except DW on her 9th stop in Nassau)

But after our last trip to Belize, the tender definitely isn't worth it if you don't have an excursion planned.

Bill

I booked cave tubing bz. Mistigrl recommended them so I hope they are reputable. They had the nice tubes with head rest and we get a traditional lunch and rum punch. Any feed back?

Hi, sacnaillady.

We are booked with cave tubing bz for our cruise leaving 11/30/13.

I've heard good things about the company and they have responded quickly to each email I have sent them.

Can't wait...I'll make a point to come back to the boards and give a quick review of our cave tubing experience =)

I would do a city or Mayan ruins tour. You can book it right at the pier as soon as you get off the tender. I considered it but we were slow getting off the ship that day and the time difference meant we may have to rush through some things. It does take 30-45 minutes to get most places but the tour guides have a map that will show you how far your attraction is before you book. The guides have on a uniform shirt with khaki pants. They were very professional and left me alone when I changed my mind. I'd say their prices are $15-20 cheaper than the cruise line's shore excursion prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you recommend reputable tours to do a city of Mayan ruins tour?

We were planning to do Tulum in Cozumel, is it worthwhile doing Mayan ruins in Belize?

Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out what to do if anything in Belize. My husband and I are in our 50's and in pretty good shape. We don't want to shop, cave tub, see ruins, zip line or go on a long boat ride. He gets sea sick and we both are afraid of heights! So I'm trying to figure out if there is anything for us in Belize. We will be there in Dec. on New Year's Eve. Any suggestion?

We will be there the end of Jan. and I am interested in photography and nature, so I'm going to the Crooked Tree Sanctuary for birds (about 30 miles from port) and have contacted the Belize Audubon Society for a guide. They have a nice Facebook page. I've also found tours that will do a nature tour. Not sure about New Year's Eve and what will be open for business, but I would think places would want the business any day they can get it! Belize has a tourism site on the internet.

Can you recommend reputable tours to do a city of Mayan ruins tour?

We were planning to do Tulum in Cozumel, is it worthwhile doing Mayan ruins in Belize?

I don't really remember the tour company's name but I think it was Belize Tours. The guides had on company logo polo shirts and khaki pants or skirts and were standing on the pier when we got off the tender. I thnk they also had a kiosk stand near the Belize Information Desk.

We ended up not going with them because it was so late, around 10 am, and we had to be back at the boat in a few hours. I'm not sure how similar they are to the ruins in Mexico because I haven't been there either. DD wanted to go but it didn't work out that trip. Good luck!

I have a question on cave tubing. I am going in oct with my mom and daughter. Mom is in her 60's and can still walk pretty good but is quite a bit overweight. Do you know if there is a weight limit to cave tubing. Have there been bigger people on the tours you have taken and are they patient with them and help them if needed on the tours? I don't want to book it and her not be able to do it.

I think you made a good choice we have cave tubed twice in Belize. Its a very unique experience. The walk to the caves is interesting and.

exciting in and of itself.

RN75 - Your mom should be fine. I can't imagine there is a weight limit but I would check with whatever company you book with. The guides are fantastic and will help out anyone who needs it. WE took a friend of ours the second time we went who has some balance issues and they carried her tube for her and made sure she was able to navigate the paths just fine.

I have a question on cave tubing. I am going in oct with my mom and daughter. Mom is in her 60's and can still walk pretty good but is quite a bit overweight. Do you know if there is a weight limit to cave tubing. Have there been bigger people on the tours you have taken and are they patient with them and help them if needed on the tours? I don't want to book it and her not be able to do it.

My nephew who is about 200 lbs went and enjoyed it

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, sacnaillady.

We are booked with cave tubing bz for our cruise leaving 11/30/13.

I've heard good things about the company and they have responded quickly to each email I have sent them.

Can't wait...I'll make a point to come back to the boards and give a quick review of our cave tubing experience =)

We used .bz last year on our Western Cruise.

Tour guides and owner (we met later in the day) are very friendly. Depending on your ship and port times, you need to keep an eye on the time.

The drive to the caves is LONG. On our trip, we did not have time to enjoy the lunch and had to insist that one of their buses takes us to the port immediately. Rushing the drive by speeding, we were still running to catch the last tender back to the ship (too close for my comfort).

Not sure if it was because we got a late start due to the LONG wait for tender off the ship, longer than expected tender ride (20-30 minutes from ship to port) or just not enough time for that port.

I would think twice before doing a non-cruise excursion in Belize due to the long waits and distances to anything.

Thank Bill.

This is kinda what I thought.

Our thing is...I love to shop but not at port stops...same made in China crap that you see everywhere in the world, different city on the t shirt! Ruins....been there done that many times. Snorkeling...we're snorkeling in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Beach club...Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Private tour, Victor Bodden in Roatan. Long boat trip to the Cay...sea sickness. Cave Tubbing...I've cave snorkeled, not much to see, don't really need to do it again. So it is not like we are going to Disneyland and not going on the rides. We're just doing some of the same things at Knotts Berry Farm and Leggo land

So, from what I can tell Belize it might be wise to stay on the ship. Or if my hubby can handle the tender maybe well just run into the port, shop, have a beer and go back. Unless I can come up with something. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

we went into the town, and took a ride around, it was really nice, and very comfortable on the van. not expensive.

but don't forget, tendering can be a rough trip, it's very far from the ship.

audrey

ping.php?iid={291B7A03-E639-40F6-8ECD-17B42C634F26}&nid=adk&idate=2013-09-07&testgroup=1

• 1 month later...

I am quite a bit overweight but still very capable of doing most things when it comes to a physicality standpoint, however I was devastated to find out that all of the cave tubing excursions through carnival have a 250lb weight limit!