Alaska 2014

jellis6026

First time cruising on NCL to Alaska 8/23/14. Any thoughts on freestyle cruising? My wife and I have sailed twice on Carnival and wanted to try something new. We're taking my inlaws for their 50th wedding anniversary. Is the Jewel an easy ship to navigate for 70 year olds? This will be their first cruise. Last but not least, anybody have tips for aft vs. fore Penthouse Suites. I saw one Youtube video that showed a fore suite balcony and it was incredibly windy sounding. Thanks, for your insite.

The forward balconies can be very windy, but for Alaska I'd recommend them as you have the incredible views coming at you, as opposed to aft where you glimpse everything as you leave.

I've only sailed NCL and therefore love Freestyle. I like eating when I want where I want (within reason of course).

Haven't sailed the Jewel yet, but having sailed the Gem and Pearl (sister ships) I think they are easy to find your way around.

I do like the aft balconies on deck 10 - esp the two corner ones. However the forward owners suites have two balconies - one in front and one on the side. If you want to have all four of you in the same room I would get the Owner's suite - and if you all want true beds - add the balcony room that adjoins it - or for the most luxury add the adjoining SF penthouse.

Aft penthouses will only sleep three at the most and they do not have any adjoining rooms - however there are two regular balcony rooms on the same deck.

AK is a good place for a balcony room - as long as you can afford it and excursions - plan on spending an average of 200.00 pp on excursions in each port.

In Juneau I highly recommend adding the Tracy Arm Explorer - this is a small boat that leaves just ahead of the Jewell and traverses TA - including a small inlet that houses North Sawyer Glacier and several waterfalls along the way - you re board the ship in front of South Sawyer Glacier and sail out and onto Skagway.

Also for more port info check out www.cruiseportinsider.com

Archived