Sept 2013 Low Water Level on Danube/Rhine Rivers

mbeau4262

We are supposed to sail on the Viking Legend in 2 weeks (Danube Waltz from Budapest to Passau). I read a news article today saying the water level in Southern Germany is getting low on both the Danube and Rhine Rivers, and there is no rain forecasted for the next 10 days. It said the shipping industry is only able to sail their boats at half full capacity because of this problem. I'm wondering how quickly the water level drops in that area. Do you think it will still be okay for the river cruise ships to sail in 2 weeks? I would be so disappointed if we had to travel by bus, as I've heard horror stories. Thanks for any info!

We are supposed to sail on the Viking Legend in 2 weeks (Danube Waltz from Budapest to Passau). I read a news article today saying the water level in Southern Germany is getting low on both the Danube and Rhine Rivers, and there is no rain forecasted for the next 10 days. It said the shipping industry is only able to sail their boats at half full capacity because of this problem. I'm wondering how quickly the water level drops in that area. Do you think it will still be okay for the river cruise ships to sail in 2 weeks? I would be so disappointed if we had to travel by bus, as I've heard horror stories. Thanks for any info!

Here is a great website that shows water levels, recent and historic.

http://rivercruiseinfo.com

My wife and I will be on Avalon's Visionary leaving Nuremberg on September 26th for Budapest. What a season: from flooding in May to now worrying about not enough water! We'll be watching along with others.

A side question for those who have been on Avalon's "Legendary Danube" itinerary from Nuremberg to Budapest: About what time did you arrive in Vienna for the night? I realize times are often affected by weather, lock traffic and other delays. Avalon's list of excursion choices includes an evening concert at 7:00 p.m.

Did Danube Waltz from 08/18-08/25 (Passau to Budapest) and noticed no issues with low water levels, although there has been very little rain since the June flooding. Spoke with the Captain while he was cruising one afternoon, and he said things had calmed down a lot in two months. Noticed no indications of potential low levels, but caveat traveler and check things out for yourself. Not that any of us can control the water level...

Archived