Important Advice for your home before you leave for your cruise....

Thought I would pass this along for the comfort of your home when you return without any heartaches.

Fortunately, I decided to stay home while the DH took the kids to see the fireworks. Nice and quiet just the dog and me -- Well, I heard this really strange sound from the basement and ran down there to see what the heck it was.......there was a pressurized, continuous flow of water spraying from the back of my washer!! I panicked and called my husband on his cell as I was so astonished I didn't remember how to turn the water off!!

After this episode, it came to mind that we never turn our water off when we go on vacation. Just think how devastating it would be if the water ran continously for over a week.

So pass it on................Turn off your water before you leave home!

A similar thing happened to my parents a few years ago...only it was a broken toilet that apparently gushed water for the whole 10 days we were gone! All the rooms on that side of the house were under an inch of water, which warped all the furniture and put so much humidity into the mattresses that they had to be replaced. Also, the water bill for the month ended up being hundreds of dollars! :eek:

That said, thanks so much for the very important reminder!

That's always on my "To Do" list. Also, turn off the electricity to the stove, washer/dryer, furnace and any other dedicated, non-essential circuit. Unplug as many appliances as possible. Set the timers for lights. Bring in any yard work tools that could easily be used to break in. Sounding a little paranoid here?

Also read your insurance police re: damage by busted pipes/sewer back-up. Some will not cover if you do not have someone check your house at least every 72 hrs. Up here we worry about pipes freezing in the winter (sometimes gets to -50C).

This happened to me also. The toilet had some kind of problem. We were gone for 11 days. When we got home and I opened the door there was this horrible musty smell. Mr. Gizmo said it was because it was closed up and continued to unload luggage. I went into the house and up the steps into the kitchen. When I went back down I saw foot prints in the carpeting. It was soaked.

We called the insurance guy and they sent someone right out. What an ordeal. They sucked up as much water as possible. They had carpets pulled up all over the place and fans going to dry them out. My insurance did cover the damage.

After this ordeal we always turn the water off.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a forced hot water heating system it has a pressure reducing valve you must keep city water pressure on this device or the pressure will drop in your heating system causing air to accumulate and a no heat condition so if you do have this system do not shut off the water to the whole house. If you live in a cold climate area and go on vacation in winter have someone check your home. there are also devices to put on your phone line to indicate a drop in temp. And there is a company SCultel that makes a system that can monitor your heating system including oil supply and call your heating company. A device is attached to your house similar to what the real estate people use "a lock box" the technician can get a key and go in and fix any problem . If you have an alarm system a temperature device can be put on it

Archived