Captain Newick's - by Taxi?

paylady

My husband and I will be in port at Portland during an early September cruise. We are looking for a good seafood restaurant for lunch, while in port, and have heard good things about Captain Newick's.

We won't be renting a car so I was wondering if a taxi ride to this restaurant was worth it. I was thinking it may be a hassle to get a taxi going back.

Has anyone had experience with this restaurant and visited by taxi?

The restaurant is just across the harbor by The Casco Bay Bridge (large drawbridge), so I don't think getting there and back is a problem. It's mostly fried fresh seafood. Fairly popular with us locals. The view of the harbor from the top of the bridge is worth the cost. Crossed it just 3 hours ago.

Anything other advice, please ask.

There are some great seafood places right within walking distance of where you will dock, many with decks outside etc. We ate at the Chowder Company (or something named similar...??) and the chowder and lobster rolls were excellent!

There are many very good restaurants in Portland and immediate environs and I generally agree with the prior postings.

Host Caroline is almost certainly referring to Gilbert's Chowder House. Excellent and a wide variety of chowders. A favorite.

For a Down East style lobster bake, the best bet in the immediate Portland area is probably Newick's. As noted, it is across the bridge on Broadway in South Portland. Down home style and atmosphere although there are better places to eat in the area and others have better lobster, in my opinion. (Taxi should be $5-8 from the pier and the restaurant can get you a taxi back to the pier.)

My recommendations would be: (1) Joe's Boat House, in the Spring Point Marina at the end of Broadway in South Portland (excellent food and a pretty location on the water); (2) Walter's on Exchange St. downtown (excellent food); (3) Street and Co. (if open for lunch) in the downtown area (Fore St.?), often considered to be the best restaurant in Portland; (4) Bintliff's, excellent food but not in the prettiest location and not in walking distance. There are supposed to be very good lobster rolls at Susan's on Forest Ave., but, again, this is not readily accessible.

I would stay away from deMillo's on the waterfront, unless the only consideration is atmosphere. It's a floating restaurant, right in the harbor and not far from the pier. Unfortunately, the food is distinctly undistinguished.

There are many very good restaurants in Portland and immediate environs and I generally agree with the prior postings.

Host Caroline is almost certainly referring to Gilbert's Chowder House. Excellent and a wide variety of chowders. A favorite.

For a Down East style lobster bake, the best bet in the immediate Portland area is probably Newick's. As noted, it is across the bridge on Broadway in South Portland. Down home style and atmosphere although there are better places to eat in the area and others have better lobster, in my opinion. (Taxi should be $5-8 from the pier and the restaurant can get you a taxi back to the pier.)

My recommendations would be: (1) Joe's Boat House, in the Spring Point Marina at the end of Broadway in South Portland (excellent food and a pretty location on the water); (2) Walter's on Exchange St. downtown (excellent food); (3) Street and Co. (if open for lunch) in the downtown area (Fore St.?), often considered to be the best restaurant in Portland; (4) Bintliff's, excellent food but not in the prettiest location and not in walking distance. There are supposed to be very good lobster rolls at Susan's on Forest Ave., but, again, this is not readily accessible.

I would stay away from deMillo's on the waterfront, unless the only consideration is atmosphere. It's a floating restaurant, right in the harbor and not far from the pier. Unfortunately, the food is distinctly undistinguished.

I personally am a fan of DeMillo's, but would agree that I have had better seafood in Maine. I don't think the food is bad, however.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I will be in port at Portland during an early September cruise. We are looking for a good seafood restaurant for lunch, while in port, and have heard good things about Captain Newick's.

We won't be renting a car so I was wondering if a taxi ride to this restaurant was worth it. I was thinking it may be a hassle to get a taxi going back.

Has anyone had experience with this restaurant and visited by taxi?

------------------------

Hello PayLady,

Eighteen of us will be going on a Carnival cruise on September 10 and will be porting in Portland on September 12. We're thinking of lunching at Captain Newick's. If you're on the same cruise as we, would you like to join us at Newick's? We can share several taxi cabs to get us to and from. Please contact me if interested.

Archived