Reducing Tips

AdamsND04

So...re-igniting and somewhat old thread where I had some opinions.

We just got back from 7 nights Southern Caribbean on Jewel of the Seas. This was our 10th cruise with RCI and by FAR the worst service we have ever had in the main dining room.

So...to my earlier point...I believe the automatic tips are having the negative effect. I really wanted to reduce the tips for the waiter and the assistant waiter because they provided sub-par service.

Alas, I did not. I left the $12/day automatic tips on my account and just bit my lip when I shook their hand on the last night.

However, I still feel that I could have and probably should have reduced their tips accordingly.

I really do believe the automatic tips are taking away the motivation of the employees to provide the very best service. Why bother when you know most people will leave the automatics on there?

*sigh*

Just curious to know what you would have reduced them to? The $12 recommended amount goes to many different people...by reducing the gratuities, would you be reducing the amount given to everyone? (I don't know the answer).

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

• Dining Services
  • Stateroom Attendant
  • Other Housekeeping Personnel

See, here's the problem. Rather than waiting until you get home to come here and complain, you needed to speak with the headwaiter the first time you encounter subpar service. We've done that (very rarely) and either service improved or we got new waitstaff. They can't fix a problem unless they know about it. You are paying plenty, so why suffer through poor service.

Just answering for myself: I will not complain about service on a cruise ship unless it is about something really terrible. Because I would not want to cost someone their job. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are sick, or having a bad week, or whatever. And I might want to go as far as leaving a lower tip, but would not want to complain to their boss. I think on cruise ships, it is probably easier to lose your job than on land, and probably has higher stakes for the employees than most in the States. So something very bad would have to happen to force me to voice a complaint to the head waiter, maitre'd or guest services, etc.

Archived