Canadian Currency

bcsquared

Yes get Cdn currency. You will get a good rate at any American bank. While most places will take American currency you will generally lose up to 5 points on exchange. Most business will not give favourable rates. Also many places will not take American coins. If your taking skytrain or transit, I don't think the ticket dispensers take American cash.

Use a credit card. Right now, the official rate is US$1 = CA$1.034 but there are always bank charges involved written into the exchange fees and they are usually about 3% so that I would suspect most banks in the US or in Canada will trade the currencies just about at par. ATM's will give you the exact rate sometimes minus 1% although some banks charge 3% and some banks have charges on top of it.

The reality right now today, I can't tell you what will be in the future, most merchants in Canada, although not obligated to do so, take US money at par which is sort of like what you get from banks. The only problem is change is given in c?anadian and you might feel and probably are almost obligated to pay for something because banks do not take back coins and the Canadian one dollar and two dollar media are cdoints (the looney and twoney).

So in other words, if you're going to be in Canada either on a port stop or two or a day or two pre-cruise, it probably doesn't make any difference, at least at today's rates, to convert. Of course the best, as always, is to use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee. That avoids the whole hassle.

Yes, I agree with the credit card suggestion. However, we always like to have cash with us for smaller purchases, snacks, tips, etc. Those "smaller purchases" can add up over 4 days though, so I believe I will take some Canadian currency for that purpose. Thanks again.

Archived