crime in nassau?????

donho757

After reading this thread, I'm getting nervous about doing our self walking tour of Nassau in December. I edited the Frommer's walking tour to exclude areas that may be unsafe (after receiving warnings from Scubagirrl). It will be myself, DH and our 13 yr old DD. I would really like to see all the historic sites that Nassau has to offer, but I don't want to put our family in danger either.

Can anyone reassure me that we should be okay?

I've been looking online at reports about Nassau for the last hour since I posted and came across this article: http://www.travelpulse.com/bahamas-politician-questions-carnival-cruise-lines-warning-to-nassau-guests.html

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it made me wonder if it's a possibility. I don't know... I'm still a bit worried.

I've been looking online at reports about Nassau for the last hour since I posted and came across this article: http://www.travelpulse.com/bahamas-politician-questions-carnival-cruise-lines-warning-to-nassau-guests.html

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it made me wonder if it's a possibility. I don't know... I'm still a bit worried.

This is the consensus of how most of the locals feel about this situation. Even before this article was written. Carnival and Disney have been trying to bypass any interaction with the bahamian people or tourist product for along time, and the gov't has had to stop them many times. Disney even had their own ferries in Florida waiting to be used instead of local boats for transport to Atlantis.. they did NOT want to use any bahamian workers or boats. The govn't is holding steadfast on this, although they do now have their own busses.. much to the disappointment of the taxi Unions and water taxi association who make no money when these ships are in.

Part of the reason I started posting here was because I was seeing this happen time and time again.. and the people of the bahamas get ZERO.

Nassau, Cable Beach and Paradise Island are safe 99.9% of the time, and the gov't / Royal Police have stepped up their game. I would'n't let this letter deter me from having a good time, and not the sanitized stepford venues these cruiselines provide.

Too much to see and enjoy here.

. . . and the people of the bahamas get ZERO.

This is an important point that needs to be emphasized. My husband and I travel frequently and always prefer to book local guides or hire taxis. We have visited a lot of places and met a lot of guides and drivers. Not once have we ever had a bad experience. In fact, the taxi drivers have always been eager to please us, knowledgeable, and ultra-appreciative of our business.

I would guess that 90% of them have also been very poor.

The standard of living in some of the places we have been privileged to visit is very low, something that would be easy to miss if we never ventured beyond the luxury resorts and tourist dining and shopping areas. But we have ventured beyond those places. We know better. That’s why we seek out and invest in activities that interest us, and that also aid the local economy, or a local individual.

That warning dispensed by Carnival is alarming, not because of the criminal activity it warns about, but because of the motives that drove company executives to issue it. I don’t like to reveal too much about myself, but I will say this. I have written and edited hundreds of press releases.

I would never take the words of a large corporation at face value.

Hi,

Its an urban city so normal common sense rules apply

use the caution you would would in any largish US city and you will be be fine.

Propositions for the sale of things illegal and legal in both Bahamas and USA will be offered, weed, Cuban cigar, tours , trinkets, sex ... and a respectful and firm "no thank you" is all that's needed

Don't let your fear be in the way of meeting folks, been there so much the should rename Bay Street Dralliw street...ask for directions to the Bus, shop or if you want the above... I have never been maltreated or misdirected

Archived