Caymans - Discover Scuba with Wreck Dive

agold1176

Hi all,

My husband and I have never been diving before. We are signed up to do a Discover Scuba with Wreck Dive in the Caymans in 2 weeks. The company we booked through all does dives in Cozumel and suggested that we do a two-tank dive in Cozumel since we'll get the basics down during our Caymans trip. Is this wise? I've always wanted to get certified but between moves and work have not been able to do it. Any thoughts? Would it be better for us to stick with another Discover Scuba in Cozumel -- said we'll go down up to 30-35 feet.

Thanks for any insight.

I would stick with the beginner courses if I were you. If you don't get a Certification Card (C-Card) from the Discover Diving trip in the Caymens, you probably can't go on a normal scuba excursion anyway. If you are really excited about diving after the Caymens, then I'd do the same thing in Cozumel. That way you are still in a very controlled SAFE enviornment and have dive instructors with you at all times. The equipment you will use in Caymens might be different from what you get in Cozumel (different brand). Knowing how to use your gear and being comfortable with it is a major factor for a successful, safe, and fun dive.

Scuba, as wonderful as it is, can be very dangerous if you are not properly trained. If you truly are hooked after your cruise, I'd go enroll in a Scuba class when you get back home where you will be taught all the basics as well as all the safety things that are required for more advanced diving.

I hope you really enjoy yourselves. My wife and I got certified together as a 10 year anniversary present and have about 50 dives together. We are also planning dives in Cozumel and Grand Caymen during our cruise in August. I'd like to hear how yours went. Please share with us when you return. Thanks.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am particularly nervous about not being certified before I go on a true dive. My husband is more daring than me. In any case, we likely will stick to the Discover Scuba classes. I see that you are heading out on your first cruise. You'll love it. What ports are you going to?

Our first stop will be in Belize where we plan to snorkel at the Rendevous Caye. Next, up to Costa Maya. No plans there yet. Then off to Cozumel for our first two Scuba Dives, and our final stop will be in Grand Caymen for 2 more dives. I can't wait.

I have over 50 dives in the cold waters of the Monterey, California area. Water temp here averages between 52 and 58 degrees. We are actually planning 3 dive weekends, 2 shore and 1 boat, before our cruise just to get reoriented with all our gear and work on being comfortable in the water. All this so we can thoroughly enjoy our time in the warm clear waters of the Caribbean.

We have been glued to the TV and this web site watching Hurricane Dennis. The Explorer had to be diverted and they missed both Cozumel and GC. I hope and pray that the weather is decent for us. I have wanted to dive Coz and GC ever since I got certified and this is my first opportunity. But... if the weather is bad, then we will just enjoy the cruise anyway. My wife and I have a blast together no matter what we do, so we will adapt and have too much fun at whatever we do.

Dear Great Scuba God in the Sky, please bless us with crystal blue skies, calm seas, warm water, 100+ feet visibility, and lots of cool stuff to see.

Amen.

I have been watching the weather in the Gulf ever since I booked our cruise. I am sad to see the Emily may interfere with your dive plans in Coz and GC. I hope she doesn't. But, if she does, I hope you all find a similar adventure in another wonderful location. An old dive buddy once told me, "Going to the ocean and not diving is like going to the circus and watching it from outside the tent". Please be safe and have a great time anyway.

Life is all about the memories you collect along the way. Make as many as you can and enjoy everyone to its fullest.

We are signed up to do a Discover Scuba with Wreck Dive in the Caymans in 2 weeks. The company we booked through also does dives in Cozumel and suggested that we do a two-tank dive in Cozumel since we'll get the basics down during our Caymans trip. Is this wise?
I don't know what they are thinking! Of course it is not wise. It isn't safe and no reputable dive operator will take someone on a dive trip without first seeing your certification card. The only thing you can legally do is more discover scuba, but you can skip the short instruction period before the first dive, if the operator will let you.

Would it be better for us to stick with another Discover Scuba in Cozumel -- said we'll go down up to 30-35 feet.
Yes, stick with the discover scuba until you get certified. BTW, 30-35 feet is too deep for a discover scuba according the the largest scuba certifying agency, PADI. In fact, In Cozumel, I wouldn't go with that company at all. Check out http://www.scubawithalison.com or http://www.eagleraydivers.com for a much higher quality operation.

Bruce-R,

Appreciate your insight. My diving is looking like it is in jeopardy anyway -- Emily seems to be making a bee-line for Cozumel and the Western Caribbean. Here's hoping I get to experience diving.

I have been watching the weather in the Gulf ever since I booked our cruise. I am sad to see the Emily may interfere with your dive plans in Coz and GC. I hope she doesn't. But, if she does, I hope you all find a similar adventure in another wonderful location. An old dive buddy once told me, "Going to the ocean and not diving is like going to the circus and watching it from outside the tent". Please be safe and have a great time anyway.

Life is all about the memories you collect along the way. Make as many as you can and enjoy everyone to its fullest.

Chevdiver -- Thanks for the good wishes. We'll go diving at some point even if we don't get to go to Cozumel or Cayman. It is on our list of things we MUST do :)

Again, I hope you all have a very pleasant "Eastern Caribbean" cruise. It sure sounds like you might get diverted from the West. In any event, I am sure you all will make the best of it. Enjoy, Have Fun, and most of all, Stay Safe.

I don't know what they are thinking! Of course it is not wise. It isn't safe and no reputable dive operator will take someone on a dive trip without first seeing your certification card. The only thing you can legally do is more discover scuba, but you can skip the short instruction period before the first dive, if the operator will let you.

Yes, stick with the discover scuba until you get certified. BTW, 30-35 feet is too deep for a discover scuba according the the largest scuba certifying agency, PADI. In fact, In Cozumel, I wouldn't go with that company at all. Check out www.scubawithalison.com or www.eagleraydivers.com for a much higher quality operation.

Bruce-r, you are incorrect in stating that 30-35 feet is too deep for a discover scuba diving course. The course consists of 3 sections: theory, confined water and open water. The confined water dive has depth limit of 20ft while the open water has a depth limit of 40 feet.

Now, let me be clear regarding one aspect of a discover scuba diving course. There is no certification card, therefore if you do the course in Cozumel and then go the Caymans, any dive op in the Caymans will make you do the whole course again. That is a PADI rule. The only exception is if you dive again with the same operator, then you do not have to do the course again - you still have to dive with an instructor and the depth limit is 40 feet. I don't know how PADI applies that rule if a company owns an dive center in more than 1 country.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advice. We ended up doing the Discover Scuba with Eden Rock Diving Center in the Caymans -- it was great and they took us down about 40 feet. In Cozumel, the next day, we did a repeat resort course and went to beautiful Palancar Reef. It was amazing. We loved Scuba and will likely pursue certification.

Chevdiver - Don't forget to take some of the ship's cookies from the Promenade Snack Bar to Alison. I took a gallon size Baggie with me on the cruise, then every time I went by the snack bar, I grabbed a couple of cookies. By the time I hit Cozumel to dive with Alison, I had about two dozen large cookies in the bag. By the time our dive trip was over, they were all gone.:D

You can see some of my dive in my photos. Link in my signature below. There is also a shot of Alison.

Tell her John from the May 12 Explorer of the Seas trip says Hi!

Thanks sea-jay. I will do that. Unfortunely Alison will be on Vacation the day we are there, but she says we will be fine with Chucho and Carlos. From all I have read here and from speaking with Alison via email, I couldn't agree more. BTW, it was your review that convinced me to bail on the ship excursion and book with Alison. I am so glad that I did. My wife will be so much more comfortable. Plus, we have been in contact with the other divers on the boat for that day and it sounds like we all have the same experience level and similar dive plan desires. It should make for a good group and great dives.

Archived