Azamara Quest 20th December

wpm2

• 2 months later...

Hi Ben & Steven,

My Partner Joao and I are on this cruise, so you won't be the only gays in the village. Looks like not many Brits either. Mind you, you can't tell much from the roll calls. We were on Ocean Princess in 2010, same size ship. There was no gay roll call, but there must have been a dozen couples, so you never know.

Nick

Hi Nick & Joao,

Glad we won't be the only ones (gay or British..lol). We've sailed on this size ship before and there have been a few other couples on, but then sailed on larger ships and we've been the 'only gays in the village'. I guess you never know until you step on board. Really looking forward to getting away from the weather (and the Christmas madness).

Have you signed up to the Cruise Critic 'Meet & Mingle'? If so, we'll see you there (not that we won't bump in to you beforehand with the ship being so small).

Look forward to meeting you.

Ben & Steven

Hey guys,

Yeah, signed up for the M&M today, its now up to 52 people.

Finished reading the roll call as well, and there is at least one other couple, "SeaTea75" and his partner.

Likewise looking forward to missing the madness of Xmas and having someone else do all the work. We booked this cruise back in April, and haven't really given it much thought since, but its practically on top of us now and I'm starting to get excited. We're flying out on the 13th and spending a week in Florida, including a trip down to Key West which has been on my bucket list for a long time. It will be Joao's first time in the Caribbean, and we are looking forward to just chilling out.

Where are you guys from?

We live just outside of Manchester (out in the sticks). We fly out on the 17th for a few days in Miami first. Need to start looking at planning our excursions and activities, both in Miami and the ports of call. Have you been to any of the ports of call before? We've been to St Thomas and Puerto Rico before but looking forward to going back.

Sent using Cruise Critic App

Hi guys,

Don't have much knowledge of these ports. We stayed in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise last Xmas. We went for a drive from Miami on FL90/US41 to Naples. Really nice quiet road through the Everglades, with a few places along the way where you take an airboat ride, which I would highly recommend if you've not done it before. You even see 'gators in the ditches at the side of the road on the drive. Naples itself is a bit boring, so maybe not worth going all the way, depends how much you like driving.

Ports, I've only been to Dutch side of St Martin (Phillipsburg) and San Juan, which I loved. Are you staying there post cruise? If so, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Nice architecture, full of character, very clean and safe. Sadly, we are flying back the day we disembark.

Hi Nick,

Yes, we're staying 1 night in San Juan after the cruise. We've been to San Juan on a previous cruise and absolutely loved it. Hopefully we'll get to see a little more this time.

We're getting our excursions/activities sorted now (I'm on a roll). The Everglades was on the list of things to do, so its good that you've also recommended it. We've booked and Everglades tour followed by a boat tour around Miami Beach. Should be fun.

We've also signed up to the Azamazing Evening too in St Thomas. Think we'll just spend the day around Charlotte Amalie and see what it has to offer. We've called there before, but it was a day or so after a storm so the town didn't look its best. Hopefully this time it will be different.

We've booked a hiking/snorkelling tour in St John for the morning, then we'll see what the port/town has to offer in the afternoon.

Virgin Gorda has to be a trip to the Baths, although I think we'll do this independently. I don't think it is too far from where we tender, so we'll just get a cab or maybe even walk if its not too far.

I think St Barts will be a beach day unless my research brings up an unmissable tour.

St Maarten is all about getting to Maho Beach to watch the planes land and take off (sad I know!!).

Where else in Florida are you staying (apart from your trip to Key West)?

So, have you cruised with Azamara before? This will be our second time with them. Hope they are as good as the first time (I'm sure they will be).

This will be our first time on Azamara. Really looking forward to it. Celebrity is our favourite line, and if Azamara is as good (or even better) then we will be very happy. Looking forward to the inclusive drinks as well!

Florida, we are staying in Fort Lauderdale for 3 nights, followed by Key West for 3 nights, and finally a night in Miami. (The night in Miami was part of the fly/cruise package, so we may be in the same hotel - the JW Marriott downtown? The rest we've organised independently.) We just had two nights in Florida last Xmas; it was Joao's first time there and he was really impressed. I think he thought Florida was all theme parks, and he was pleasantly surprised at the beaches, architecture, and countryside. We'll be in FL for the Xmas boat parade on the 14th, which I'm looking forward to.

Virgin Gorda, I agree, the baths. We like to do things independently whenever we can, and I see from the main thread that taxis should be running normally on Xmas day, and its only a 40 minute walk.

The inner child within me would also like to see the planes at Maho beach. Not sure if I can persuade J (maybe I'll just tell him its a beach and not tell him about the planes). Apparently, you should try to be there in the afternoon when the big planes arrive. KLM have a 747 due to land at 12:40 (and Air France has an A340 due in at 14:50.)

Sounds like you are well on top of the planning. I need to firm up our plans in the next few days.

Celebrity was our favourite line until we went on Azamara. We've just returned from a cruise on Reflection a few weeks ago and it was a fabulous ship/trip but the small ship atmosphere on Azamara just makes such a difference. The crew don't 'try' to impress, they just naturally do impress and it doesn't feel fake.

Your pre-cruise itinerary sounds good. We like Fort Lauderdale as its quite chilled out. In some ways prefer it to Miami.

We've not booked the hotel in Miami as part of the cruise package. We're staying in South Beach on Collins Drive.

You're going to have to let us know how Joao is pronounced. It looks a little Portuguese. Am I right or miles away???

Look forward to meeting you both.

Yep, Joao is Portuguese, and if I knew how it was pronounced I would tell you, but after 14 years he tells me I still can't pronounce it properly! lol. People call him Jay.

Likewise, looking forward to meeting you both - won't be long now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys! My wife and I are on this cruise as well. We are frequent cruisers and Azamara is one of our favorites. I heard that the ship is decorated beautifully for the holidays. There is usually an evening FOD get together. Hope to see you on board! Ann

Hi Guys! My wife and I are on this cruise as well. We are frequent cruisers and Azamara is one of our favorites. I heard that the ship is decorated beautifully for the holidays. There is usually an evening FOD get together. Hope to see you on board! Ann

Hi Ann,

Look forward to meeting you and your wife a week on Friday.... just saying 'a week on Friday' has got me even more excited :-)

Ben and Steven

Yep, Joao is Portuguese, and if I knew how it was pronounced I would tell you, but after 14 years he tells me I still can't pronounce it properly! lol. People call him Jay.

Likewise, looking forward to meeting you both - won't be long now.

That made me giggle Nick. I can't wait to hear how it should be pronounced and how you pronounce it. Many years ago I dated an Italian and he use to say my pronunciation of his name wasn't quite right. He soon gave up trying to teach me to have an Italian twang lol.

Is it this Friday you fly out? Enjoy your pre-cruise stay :-)

Nice to meet you guys.

We are having beautiful weather in Florida right now. Can't believe this cruise is a little over a week away. We've already started packing a few things! See you on board!

Ann and Rebecca

Hi Ann & Rebecca,

Hopefully the beautiful weather in Florida will last a little while longer. Looking forward to a bit of warmth when we arrive Tuesday.

We're typical men and leave the packing until the night before. Thankfully all of our t-shirts/shirts go with all of our trousers/jeans/shorts, so no need to think about coordinating. Just lift everything out of the wardrobe in to the case :-)

Are you signed up to the Meet & Mingle? See you on board Friday.

Ben & Steven

Nice to hear that you are having good weather. I'm hoping it will be dry on Saturday. We'll be in Fort Lauderdale, and I'm looking forward to the boat parade.

Hope you had a good flight and are enjoying the boat parade. See you Friday :-)