Churrascaria near Copacabana

CLOU

Porcao is one that is popular with tourists and well-off Brazilians (pricey at R$55-R$221). One location is:Av. Infante Dom Henrique, S/N, Aterro do Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro

http://www.porcao.com.br/churrascaria/unidades/porcao-rio%C2%B4s/

Carretao is also popular. They have a Copacabana location at R. Siqueira Campos, 23 (rodizio about R$60 or so).

http://www.carretaochurrascaria.com.br/

(Also, remember when your check comes that the current minimum monthly wage in Brazil is R$678/U$304 which often supports an entire family, and use this as a reminder to tip the waiter, your room maid and any other service people well. ;-)

Thank you for your reply. I had heard of Porcao. I think it is the most well known with tourists. The name Carretao also sounds familiar. I will try and read up.

We try and tip generously, but according to local custom, although it is sometimes hard to find out the true information about tipping customs in a country. Guide books often provide different information. I would be interested to hear form you, as a local, what is customary in Rio. From what I have gleaned from the guide books, a 10% service charge is added to most restaurant bills and no additional tip is expected, and for taxis you just round up from the fare to the next round $R. However, your post seems to indicate that additional tipping in restaurants is more common. I certainly understand the low wage issue, and want to reward good service, but I also don't want to go against local practices, just because we are American and expect to tip.

So, what would you say is the Brazilian practice on tipping.

Well, clou, I have more of a 'what goes around, comes around' way of thinking. I figure if I tip the maid who made my stay comfortable or the waiter who made my meal pleasant well, maybe their teenage kid won't come down off the morro to rob me at knifepoint because he needs a new pair of sneakers.

Scoff, but it's worked so far!

If you go to a churrascaria, don't eat beforehand'. It's all you can eat, and you pay the big bill based on that. Also don't necessarily be tempted by the side dishes available, and lower cuts of meat that MAY be offered first. Be picky (for your taste). We eat out a lot, but not often at churrascarias, since we don't eat enough meat to make it worthwhile. But for others, it's great. You can take as long as you like. You'll have a brown carom or other item with green (keep going) or red (stop). If you've turned it to "stop" but just want to pause, just indicate that. They may still periodically take away your plates.

Most people do not tip above the 10% added on to restaurant bills. There are a few restaurants that don't automatically add the 10% (just check your bill). Even if it's added, if you feel the service was exceptionally good, anything extra is, of course, appreciated, but it isn't expected. I certainly would not discourage you from tipping extra, however.

With taxis, we usually don't tip unless the service has been special, but neither do we quibble about change if it comes to a bit below an even Real amount or if the driver doesn't have exact change (and they may not have change for a R$50, and usually not a R$100, bill except on runs from the airport, etc.). If you trip even a Real, except on an airport run, you'll likely get a big "obrigado" (thank you). Not to be negative, but do be sure the driver uses their meter and doesn't offer you a "special" flat rate.

Archived