Cabo, Parasailing options

TwoCalBears

My husband would like to go parasailing in Cabo when our ship is there in November, and the ship is not offering parasailing as an excursion, so we have two questions:

First, can anyone recommend a good tour operator that offers parasailing? What do people think of Johann & Sandra?

Second, we’d like to hear from older parasailers—does this seem like an activity that a reasonably fit 85 year old could participate in? Are there any physical conditions that would suggest that this is not a good activity for an older adult—e.g. bad back, hip replacement, etc.? (We know that George H.W. Bush went skydiving on his 85th birthday, but we also notice that he is now using a walker . . . .)

My husband would like to go parasailing in Cabo when our ship is there in November, and the ship is not offering parasailing as an excursion, so we have two questions:

First, can anyone recommend a good tour operator that offers parasailing? What do people think of Johann & Sandra?

Second, we’d like to hear from older parasailers—does this seem like an activity that a reasonably fit 85 year old could participate in? Are there any physical conditions that would suggest that this is not a good activity for an older adult—e.g. bad back, hip replacement, etc.? (We know that George H.W. Bush went skydiving on his 85th birthday, but we also notice that he is now using a walker . . . .)

First, I would not pre-book. There are several Para-Sailing outfits in Cabo, and they will be cheaper than going through a booking company.

Unlike Matzallan, where you take off and land from the beach, in Cabo you are generally taken out to a boat where you launch from a deck, via a winch...much easier (and IMO) safer. As for an 85 year old....I would never speculate about that. I am 62 and although my kids and grandkids have parasailed in both Cabo and Matxallan, I prefer to watch.

If your husband is fit, and comfortable with it, I would have to suggest that he go for it.

My best bet? Watch the parasailers in Cabo, and then decide.

Some outfits in Cabo will allow you to ride out to the boat, and then decide. It may cost you $10US for the boat ride, but that is not a bad thing, either.

Keep in mind, they are safe, or they would not exist.

• 2 weeks later...
First, I would not pre-book. There are several Para-Sailing outfits in Cabo, and they will be cheaper than going through a booking company.

Unlike Matzallan, where you take off and land from the beach, in Cabo you are generally taken out to a boat where you launch from a deck, via a winch...much easier (and IMO) safer. As for an 85 year old....I would never speculate about that. I am 62 and although my kids and grandkids have parasailed in both Cabo and Matxallan, I prefer to watch.

If your husband is fit, and comfortable with it, I would have to suggest that he go for it.

My best bet? Watch the parasailers in Cabo, and then decide.

Some outfits in Cabo will allow you to ride out to the boat, and then decide. It may cost you $10US for the boat ride, but that is not a bad thing, either.

Keep in mind, they are safe, or they would not exist.

This all seems like excellent advice--thanks so much! --TwoCalBears

• 1 year later...

We are just back from Cabo and did Parasailing. We used Baja's. We had a great time! Here's my review on Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g152515-d3444162-r251555037-Baja_s_Water_Sports-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html#REVIEWS

Edited by familyoutdoors

We used Johann and Sandra for all our excursions on our last cruise, and were very please with the service. We haven't been parasailing yet, but we plan to do it on our upcoming cruise!

The thing with Johann and Sandra is that they are just a tour broker. So the actual tour is run by someone else (at least with the tours we did). Johann and Sandra just act as a place for operators to sell their services. Now, with that said, we had excellent service from all of the staff at Cabo San Lucas Tours, and the operators were all excellent as well. We did one tour that I was a bit nervous about because it was quite far outside downtown Cabo (ATV trip). But they were great about meeting us right at the marina and getting us back to the tender with oodles of time to spare. So I certainly wouldn't hesitate to book with them again.

As to the question of age, I am kind of in the "wait and see how it goes" camp. We are going to be taking my two DDs (2 and 6) and my 88-year-old grandmother in the boat with us for parasailing. I figure Grandma and the 6 year old can watch a few people go up, and then decide (DD would go tandem with me or dad). The 2 year old will just be along for the ride, but I'm thinking she'll have fun in the boat ;) They say there is no age restriction, and it looks quite gentle. So we'll see how it goes! I'm excited!

We've found the best deals from the vendors at the pier and always have a great time and they are professional and go above and beyond. No reason to pay in advance or pay the cruise ship.. lots of options and nice vendors to choose from when you get off the tender in town. They have incentive.. if they make you happy, you'll book something else from them or give them a bigger tip!

Our water taxi experience from a dock-side vendor was awesome! They took us on quick tour around the tip and then dropped us off at the beach and came back right on time to pick us up! And the parasailing experience was once in a lifetime! We were the only ones on the boat and it was a professional rig, took pictures with our camera, and put us up way higher than the others around us. Amazing view!

They usually have a $1 dock charge to get to their water taxis or parasailing boats. So keep that in mind. Think it's what they have to pay the person at the gate.

Edited by cardqb