Liberty review 9/21 or how I went up a size

wantocruisemore

I'll start with a short summary and then more details later when I get a chance to upload photos.

First cruise on Liberty but 5th overall cruise. We loved Liberty. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and we booked only a month out. First time with a guarantee room, loved balcony room 8417. Great location at aft of ship and easy to head up stairs to Lido.

Flew down on jet blue into Ft. Lauderdale for a night pre-cruise. Very pleased with Comfort Suites airports with free airport shuttle and very good breakfast.

Used MJS transport to port! definitely use again,

Favorites on the Liberty were the all adult aft pool, the food (Guy's Burgers & cantina breakfast), MDR food very good! loved the Alchemy Bar and Comedy Club and Serenity deck.

Ports were Cozumel, Belize, Roatan & Cayman Islands. Weather was great. Favorite port was Grand Cayman thanks to wonderful excursion we did.

Almost booked again onboard but thought we should check with DD's as to where they want to go next May.

Ranks in the top 3 vacations ever!

More specifics to come later.

Still haven't loaded photos yet but wanted to go ahead and start.

Vacation started a little rocky. We live about 20 min. From the airport. Daughter is in college about 35 min away. She is a Resident Advisor and had duty the night before but was supposed to be at out house by 9:15am to get us to the airport for our 11am flight. When she had not arrived by 9:20 we called to find out her location. SHE FORGOT!!!!!! So she started out and called us 5 min later she was stuck in traffic. We made the wise decision to drive ourselves and left the car in long term parking with extra keys at home. She would ride over with a friend and get the car later.

We flew on Jet Blue direct out of RDU to FLL. Easy, 2 hr. Flight. Very pleased with Jet Blue. The Blue Chips they give out are very tasty.

Easy landing on time, got all our luggage and headed to call Comfort Suites Airport Cruiseport at Ft Laud. For their free shuttle. They told us to walk down between 2 terminals outside at the pick up spot for hotel shuttles. 30 min passed and I called again. They had a full load and had headed back to the hotel. They had also been looking for a couple of Delta employees that were not at the correct stop. Turned out they were with us at the wrong stop and this threw a slight delay. Once picked up it was a quick 15 min ride. We checked in early and got their little welcome bag since I am a choice customer. It had a bottle of water, a bag of pretzels, toothpaste and coupons and info about restaurants, etc. Room was great with king size bed, sitting area, coffee maker, frig and all for $76!

We walked up to the Harbour Shops for food and to pick up some wine. It was about a 15 min walk but quick if you take the short cut out the back and down a quiet residential street past the Hyatt. There is a large Publix there, several restaurants and a Total Wine. We grabbed food at the Lauderdale Grill and sat on the porch. Very nice. Beer was cold and the special mahi bites with fries was filling. Afterward we headed to Publix for a couple of things. We found 2 bottles of wine there so did not go to Total Wine.

Afterward back to the hotel for a nap and then headed next door to pick up our sodas. Grabbed a burrito at Taco Bell next door. Big mistake! Let's just say I'm glad we were not in a rush to get anywhere and we will never eat there again.

Next morning breakfast was moderately packed. I had heard about little seating but honestly, they had more tables available than most places with breakfast. They had a variety of yoghurt, donuts, muffins, pastries, toast and bagels with a toaster to heat them. They also had hot scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. Eggs were not bad. They had boiled eggs too. Orange juice and apple and of course coffee. They had one waffle maker (to add one would be one of my few suggestions). It took 3 min to cook each. They had plain and blueberry batter. I had blueberry which was pretty good. They also had milk and 3 types of cereal. It was a really good breakfast.

We had arranged for MJS to pick us up around 10am. About 9:30 they called to say the disembarkation was slow at the Liberty and suggested waiting til 10:30. We were fine with that. They called us again as they were pulling into hotel and off we went to the port.

Can't wait to see what excursion you did in Grand Cayman. I am having trouble deciding on what to do there! Leaving in 17 days! :)

More on it later but we booked with Stingray Sailing. Due to another ship late into port and ours early Chip had set up for us to either go with Kevin and Ecotours, who works with him a lot, or wait til noon for him. We went with Kevin. Perfect day and because of this we're looking at cruises for next year that go to the Caymans. We want to use Kevin again! We also met chip because he swam over while we were snorkeling and then he took us back to the ship.

Definitely see if they are available. There were only 6 of us last week.

More on it later but we booked with Stingray Sailing. Due to another ship late into port and ours early Chip had set up for us to either go with Kevin and Ecotours, who works with him a lot, or wait til noon for him. We went with Kevin. Perfect day and because of this we're looking at cruises for next year that go to the Caymans. We want to use Kevin again! We also met chip because he swam over while we were snorkeling and then he took us back to the ship.

Definitely see if they are available. There were only 6 of us last week.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to your review!:)

I'm going on that same one in 12 days!!!! So 18 days. So excited I can't stand myself!!
Can't wait to see what excursion you did in Grand Cayman. I am having trouble deciding on what to do there! Leaving in 17 days! :)

I'm subscribing to this one along with my fellow roll callers above. :)

Great start, looking forward to more. We will be doing this itinerary in 171 days! But who's counting?! :) LOL

We are on your same cruise. Have you joined our (strangely quiet) roll call?

Ok, these are the view from my window at the Comfort Suites.ry%3D400

We could see the Embassy Suites above and RCL ship below.ry%3D400

Here's the pool at the hotel.

ry%3D400

Next stop, MJS picked us up and whisked us off to the POM!!!

ry%3D400

I loved the building below:

ry%3D400

We did not have FTTF but got to the port at 11:15am and were on board at 12pm. Line did not take long. We had to wait a few minutes to call our Zone 19 for boarding, and then away. This is the shot I took approaching our ship the Liberty, YAHHHHHH.

ry%3D400

Once onboard we were headed up to the Lido when the couple in the elevater stopped at Deck 8, Verandah, which was also our deck. On a whim we decided to get on off to see if we could drop off our roll on bag. It had 2 12 packs of sodas and 2 bottles of wine in it.

When we got to the room and went in, it was ready!!!! Rm # 8417 and our first time on a side balcony. We have always had the very aft but we booked at the last minute at a great price and we just got the balcony guarantee. We figured a smaller balcony would not matter with just the two of us. We were pleasently surprised. Here is our balcony:

ry%3D400

And one of the chairs reclined, I could definitely see a balcony nap in my future!!!

Then we headed up to Lido. I told my DH I had a surprise. I took him over to Guy's Burgers and told him to have fun and we would meet on Deck 10 near the Fish n Chips. His eyes got huge and just nodded. He's never been a fan of buffets.

I checked out the Mongolian Wok and there only seemed to be 6 ahead of me, so I tried it.

ry%3D400

I got chicken and shrimp and lots of fixins. But I did make a mistake about the sauce. I was about to order the black bean when the lady behind me who was Asian highly recommended the szechuan sauce. I don't mind some spice so I went with it. Big Mistake. It is VERY spicey, although it's still has a great flavor. I decided to try the work again later and since I could only eat about 3/4 of my wok dish, I headed up to the fish n chips. I ordered the fish, fries, oysters & the tuna watermelon ceviche. I took a photo but did not remember until I had started into it.

ry%3D400

I really enjoyed the oysters and the fish. The fries were not bad and the tuna was also good. Oh, and I tried the soup everyone raved about. I was disappointed in it. It may have been an off day but I counted 3 small shrimp and a mussel and the rest was like a tasteless thin tomato soup. I left most of that but did finish the other stuff.

After this it was time for a DRINK! I love Miami Vice so that was my first.

ry%3D400

I had already stirred it a little.

Hmmmm, I can't taste any alcohol and it certainly didn't give me a buzz. Ok, time to try another, this time the Twilight Zone.

ry%3D400

Oh, and my DH LOVED Guy's. He said as he was walking around at least 3 other guys wanted to know where it got it from. I didn't take of photo since there have already been so many of those.

We wandered up to Serenity and camped out in a hammock in the shade.

ry%3D400

After this it was getting about time for muster so we headed back to our cabin.

I took a few photos off the ship of Miami.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was shaping up to be a BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!

Muster was called and we went. I had expected to be a little tipsy by then after 2 drinks, but not at all. I'm suspecting they must have really cut down on the alcohol. DH tried a Hurricane Wave which he said was a little better, but not much.

ry%3D400

After muster we watched sailaway from our balcony. We could hear the party going on upstairs but on when on the balcony. It sounded like fun but this cruise is about taking it easy, so we enjoyed the balcony.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I like to do special effects with my camera. This was the first one of the trip.

ry%3D400

Pulling away I got a good shot of the Victory. They were getting ready too.