Empress vs. Explorer to Bermuda

My wife and I are looking at a cruise to Bermuda next year. Empress does a 7 night & Explorer a 5 night. Explorer is 100 pp more, no big deal. We really want a 7 night but are concerned with a smaller ship. We were on the Mariner 2 weeks ago and are afraid we'd be dissapointed with the Empress. We loved all the activites and the size of the Mariner.

So basically we are trying to decide shorter trip on a newer & bigger ship or longer trip on a smaller and older ship. Any input?

Thanks

Brian

SS. Meridian July 1994

Mariner of the Seas June 2005

If you've never been on the smaller ships to appreciate them, and love the Voyager class because of the size and lots of people, then you may want to go with the shorter cruise and larger ship. I personally love the Empress because I like seeing the same people throughout the cruise that I meet. I've yet to be on the Voyager class, Radiance is wonderful, but found myself real tired of the walk to my cabin if I forgot something.

Just a couple things you'll want to know....the Empress cabins are small, the showers even smaller. There is still PLENTY to do on the ship, so you will never be bored. There are fewer elevators on her than the larger ships so you sometimes get impatient waiting.....or you get your exercise and do the stairs. (I end up Losing weight on this ship because I get more exercise!)

On the other hand....You will not find a more friendly crew than this ship. They consider each other like family. Even with the larger ships having more amenities for crew, these folks like staying on the Empress, so you get a lot of tenure and experience. I've made very good friends who keep in touch all the time. It's a lot of fun for me to learn so much about people from so many different countries and to keep in touch with them even when they are on vacation. They are all wonderful.

So I'm a little biased. but you have to make the decision. Personally, I like having more time in Bermuda. You KNOW which ever you choose you're going to have a great vacation!

I'm happy to hear the great review of the Empress. I will be sailing her on September 3 to Key West and Grand Cayman for 5 nights and was a bit concerned about the size myself.

This website has been a Godsend for great tips and personal experiences of those who love to cruise. I did my first cruise last October on Carnival and really wish I had know about these treads before I left - would have made for a more enjoyable cruise I believe - or perhaps a change of cruise lines!

Archived